Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-09-2005, 3:22 PM Reply   
i am about to install a ballast system for a buddy, and I had a question about using nylon thru hull fittings below the waterline. Every marina I have stopped at and talked to, say that a nylon fitting is fine...

Does anyone have any opinions on this? I am having a hard time finding the size in bronze I needed locally, plus I have a plastic one on hand that would work perfect!
Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-09-2005, 5:42 PM Reply   
I wouldn't use nylon below the water line...if you hit something with it, you'll have a rather large hole in the bottem of your boat. I'm really surprised that any knowledgable marina/parts store would tell you thats OK.
Old    alanp            06-09-2005, 6:01 PM Reply   
no way. i have a brass. wouldnt even consider using nylon. that thing breaks and your sinking a boat. suck it up and order one online. it make take a little longer to get it but this isnt something youd leave to chance.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-09-2005, 7:27 PM Reply   
gordon,
where are you putting the fitting? On the bottom or on the stern?
For bottom mount...go brass, but if your mounting on the stern, say next to the exhaust or stern plug, then nylon should suffice.

Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-10-2005, 7:20 AM Reply   
I here what you guys are saying, but to be a devils advocate... are you saying you wouldnt install perfect pass? That has a plastic/nylon thru hull fitting! why would you put that in the bottom of your boat and not a nylon thru hull for ballast?
Also if you hit something with it under the boat...I think that would be the least of your worries, with your prop and prop shaft there!

(Message edited by gmarkham1 on June 10, 2005)
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-12-2005, 9:09 PM Reply   
im still curious to get a reply on gordons last comment........
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-13-2005, 8:04 AM Reply   
WOW.... I can't beleive no one will post a reply about the plastic thru hull comparison with the perfect pass thru hull....
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-13-2005, 9:15 AM Reply   
The fitting for PP comes with a plug and valve to prvent the boat sinking if it is removed. Well at least it should if you have the airmar transducer fitted.

The amount of leverage on a ballast fitting with a pipe attached is far more than the small PP transducer. The danger does not come from hitting something under water, it comes from breaking the through hull internally either from some one standing in the bilge, using a tool in there, something snagging it etc.

If its through hull and beneath the water line then it should be brass or bronze and ideally have a sea cock fitted to shut it off in an emergency.

Like alanp says just order online as your find every size you will need.

Old    alanp            06-13-2005, 9:19 AM Reply   
gordon i posted essentially what jay said but got booted off before it was done. youre comparing apples and oranges. totally different purposes and totally different forces that are exerted on the materials. if your that hell bent of using plastic go for it. but for me if i could invest 25 bucks for a little piece of mind id do it. i assume you must be worried about it a little since you started the thread in the first place.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-13-2005, 12:55 PM Reply   
I forgot to add in the UK its required to have brass or bronze through hull fittings for insurance purposes not sure about the states though.
If you boat sank due to failure of a plastic through hull are you 100% sure they would pay out?
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       06-13-2005, 2:16 PM Reply   
You can order the bronze one from west marine on-line.

http://www.westmarine.com/

pic1
pic2

I would put a bronze ball valve on it too before you switch to rubber / plastic hose.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-13-2005, 4:38 PM Reply   
I dont have to be convinced what the right thing is to do... I was just curious why it was ok to hit an object with a perfect pass thru hull and not a nylon thru hull... the holes are the same size...

in any event right now the nylon one is in and serving its function, a bronze one is on the way..

I have the rest of well under control!
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-13-2005, 8:11 PM Reply   
very well under control gordon, it worked beautifully tonight......adjusting the side sacs on the fly was heavenly! cant thank you enough g