Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old    pmack            06-07-2005, 8:44 AM Reply   
I've got RCA plugs on my deck (Clarion CMD4) and a NYKO Stereo Link Cable to hook from the dock connector of my IPOD to the RCA's. Everything works fine, but now need advice to mount and possibly improve the hook-up. One problem is that I don't have a power source because I've got just one wire going from the dock connector to the RCA's. I thought about getting a Belkin Auto Kit http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=2 01526&pcount=&Product_Id=149006# and then using an RCA cord from that to the RCA's (although it would require a new RCA cord with a 3.5mm plug). I was also going to mount in the cup holder with a belkin tune dock. My question is how have you had the most success in mounting/hook-up of your i-pod. Thanks in advance.
Old    robertt            06-07-2005, 9:47 AM Reply   
I am doing the same thing...but didn't want to post another Ipod thread...I am glad you did

I have the CMD3, and use the belkin auto kit in my truck and it works perfect. I was thinking of using some Velcro and mounting a clip type holder for the unit next to the throttle. I was also thinking that to clean up the install I would wire a cigarette lighter plug under the dash somewhere to plug in the Belkin Auto Kit.

The problem with using the Belkin Auto Kit is that you cant change the volume with the IPOD, you have to use the head unit or the dial on the adapter which is a pain.

I would really like to be able to change the volume with the IPOD.

I dont have a remote for my head unit...thats one of the problems but if I can get the IPOD to function properly I shouldn't need it really.

Anyway, does anyone know of a plug system that will charge the IPOD, connect to the RCA jacks, and still allow the volume control to function on the IPOD?

By the way pmack, I have an Alpine head unit in my truck, and instead of getting the IPOD adapter I simply bought a patch cord that connected directly into the head unit, then into any 3.5mm plug. The beauty of that setup is that you are not limited to only using an IPOD. Anybody that has any type of MP3 player, or anything with a headphone jack works too. I have now confiscated my sons mini DVD player and use it in my truck...the movies sound incredible through the truck speakers. I plan on doing the same thing on the water some time...bring out the little dvd player late at night...anchor smack dab in the middle of the lake, and watch a movie. There is advantages of getting something that is not IPOD specific.

The Belkin auto kit makes adapting to the IPOD perfect, except for taking over control of the volume which is stupid.
Old    pmack            06-07-2005, 1:19 PM Reply   
I don't like to use the volume on my IPOD and only want to use it on the head unit. I have been told that the audio signal is much more clear if it comes from the dock connector rather than the headphone jack. That is why I have the NYKO Stereo Link cable...it goes from dock connector to rca's. I don't like the volume thing on the Auto Kit either, but at this point I'm not sure what else is out there. I'm thinking that I'll probably just get the Belkan TuneDok Car Holder and attach the cord I already have (but I won't have a power source). Then I'll search for some type of cord that has both a power source and a dock connector/rca cord. Something like this. http://www.sik.com/imp.php which is similar to the Belkin Auto Kit. I was just hoping someone had some insight or other solutions (that don't require hacking into anything).
Old    robertt            06-07-2005, 7:31 PM Reply   
Well, if its true that the audio signal is much different with a dock connector rather than the headphone jack, then that's a huge point.

I refuse to believe nobody on here knows. That would change my plans completely.

Old    pmack            06-08-2005, 8:15 AM Reply   
Hopefully someone will give some advice....but maybe they're worn out on the IPOD threads. Oh well...
Old    pmack            06-08-2005, 8:15 AM Reply   
Hopefully someone will give some advice....but maybe they're worn out on the IPOD threads. Oh well...
Old     (sherminator)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-08-2005, 6:49 PM Reply   
use the dock connector way better
the mount comes from you guys in USA and i got it down under, best setup!!
Old    pmack            06-09-2005, 11:40 AM Reply   
Thanks Biz. Who makes the mount?
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-09-2005, 11:51 AM Reply   
Ipod

McFly
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-09-2005, 12:20 PM Reply   
Check Clarion Audio. They just released an Ipod controller for CeNet head units. It's like 100 bucks and I think it will charge it too.
Old     (loux2)      Join Date: May 2004       06-09-2005, 1:17 PM Reply   
Biz,
Who is the manufacture of that holder?
Old     (sherminator)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-09-2005, 4:03 PM Reply   
im not sure who makes it, but there are a few online ipod shops whom stock it, its called a windsheild mount, really works well. any adjustable PDA mount will work aswell
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       06-09-2005, 4:30 PM Reply   
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58350&item=5780737 275&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Is this it?
Old     (sherminator)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-09-2005, 4:55 PM Reply   
that is the exact one, funny how ya can find the exact same gear worldwide, like i said before im in australia, and i've got the same thing here haha
Old     (loux2)      Join Date: May 2004       06-10-2005, 8:45 AM Reply   
Thanks Jon,
I purchased it today. I hope they send it ASAP.
Old     (loux2)      Join Date: May 2004       06-10-2005, 8:49 AM Reply   
Biz,
Did you use any glue on the suction cup? Does it stay in place? I have been looking for some time for the perfect I-Pod mount. Thank you for your post!
Old     (sherminator)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-10-2005, 5:43 PM Reply   
the suction cup soooo doesnt need glue, will stick to glass or smooth fiberglass REAL well, it should come with a plate that has double sided tape which can be stuck to surfaces which are not smoooth enough. Enjoy :-)
Old    pmack            06-13-2005, 8:28 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the responses.

McFly, what is the name of that Belkin clip, and how do you have it the clip attached? Is the wire wired direct to your stereo, or do you use an FM transmitter?
Old    whitechocolate            06-13-2005, 8:43 AM Reply   
Im still looking for a IPOD holder

Untill then it just sits in my sunglass pocket, "VERY UN BLING" LOL, But for the most part I like it out of the elements/sun. I hardley mess with it, I click on a CD and let it play. I use the must and Volume on the deck so its not like I need to be playing with the I pod

I like the Denson Ice Link because its a holder charger.
Old    whitechocolate            06-13-2005, 8:52 AM Reply   
Hey Flux where did you see this Ipod controller for CeNet from clarion. Im intrested in that.

I saw someone posted a link to a Ipod connector that went straight into the docking port and one line turned into a charger and then the other line turned into RCA's not a 3.5mm head phone jack. If some one knows where I can find that That woud be great
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-13-2005, 8:57 AM Reply   
Check

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dgoc3ce0qjR/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=227550&I=020EA1251B&search=clarion+ ipod

99 bucks, someone on PN saw it. Thought everyone should know.

(Message edited by flux on June 13, 2005)
Old    whitechocolate            06-13-2005, 9:06 AM Reply   
Ok I just got off the phone with Clarion They said that it wouldnt be released utill the 15th
EA1251B so it looks like the photo's are of the box I guess theres 2 coards that they are not showing one that goes into the I pod and one that goes from the HU tto the Black box. I wonder If th c-net imput has a higher output voltage than that Aux imput Rca's???
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-13-2005, 9:27 AM Reply   
I would hope that they optimized the voltage going into the head unit.

I am running an XMD-1 and did the 13 pin mod. I got pretty crappy gain out of it and was running the head unit way too hard. I got one of those Belkin 12v charger plugs with a mini-amp in it. It helped alot, but it seemed bass heavy and definately changed the sound coming from the pod, also got some low RPM alternator whine from the plug. Overall I am not happy with sound quality, but I have some dated equipment.

I will derfinately begin some upgrades on the stereo starting with a CMD-4 HU, line driver and/or EQ, and perhaps this Ipod pug-in. Hopefully the concentrated on sound quality.
Old    pmack            06-13-2005, 11:58 AM Reply   
I just put in the CMD-4 to replace my XMD-1. I use the NYKO Stereo Link cable to attach to the RCA Plugs and then am very un-bling like "Whitechocolate" in that I just use a koozie in the cupholder to put the IPOD in. I'll probably go with some kind of clip eventually. I'm also going to check out the EA1251B though and would love to hear if there is a higher voltage. I would be interested if any of you find out. It still does not solve my mounting problems, but would solve the charging. Thanks.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-13-2005, 1:45 PM Reply   
I'm also about as "un-bling like" as it comes with my install (Grant would be ashamed of me). I replace the XMD-1 head unit with the XMD-3 unit with RCA inputs, bought a set of monster cables, a belkin cup holder adapter, and a sik imp charger. drilled a hole in the cupholder, wrapped the belkin cupholder with enough duck tape to make it a tight fit, and voila...no cables showing except for the 12v adapter, and it all took less than an hour to install...

Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-13-2005, 1:48 PM Reply   
Oh, I got my XMD-3 (factory refurb) off eBay for $129. It looked brand new, and hasn't given me any issues (thank God!)...