Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old    begone            06-04-2005, 2:32 PM Reply   
Well, we think we found our boat. We checked out the Moomba out here in Lewisville TX at Waterski Boats Dallas and saw a Moomba XLV Gravity boat that we liked. Man that thing is HUGE. It's like a Wakeboarding Party Barge. I liked it, but I do understand now why the Supras are more expensive. They have alot more added features like chrome and special handles and speaker covers. But I think the Mobius XLV will be great. Don't know if you guys know about the Gravity package but it comes with everything on the boat already and it looks pretty cool with the stickers on it too. But my wife and I commented on how we'll look like major Posing Wakeboarders since we just started wakeboarding a couples years back. But who cares, right. Here's a pic of what were getting. It's this boat minus the speakers on the tower.

http://www.waterskiboatsdallas.com/0images/new/DSC02365.jpg

(Message edited by begone on June 04, 2005)
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-04-2005, 2:41 PM Reply   
thats is freakin sweet man enjoy!
Old    begone            06-04-2005, 3:10 PM Reply   
I think were getting a good deal too. Anyone know what these go for? Thanks.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-04-2005, 7:20 PM Reply   
That is a beautiful boat, Drew.

Is it just the picture or is that the puniest bimini I've ever seen? I might try to get a bigger one if you can. I'm sure the Texas sun gets hot and with a small bimini mounted so high above the driver, it looks like much of the time it won't cover anything but the windshield.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-04-2005, 8:37 PM Reply   
Great boat! I was very impressed when I rode in and behind one. You'll love it!
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-04-2005, 10:31 PM Reply   
That does look like a smaller bimini than usual. It looks like they had to compensate for the way the tower speakers are arched. Sweet boat though. I saw one in our local shop and your right Drew its HUGE. I would love to see a picture of the wake once you get it out.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-05-2005, 2:52 AM Reply   
I think the smallest bimini on earth is the bimini for the Malibus with the IllusionX tower. Don't get me wrong, I like Malibu and I like the looks of the IllusionX but it is definitely a small bimini.

I had a Moomba XLV last year, the bimini wasn't small compared to other boats.
Old    brabdau            06-05-2005, 12:16 PM Reply   
Nice. We are looking at the XLV also except probably not the GVG edition. My old dealer has a brand new '04 XLV loaded for $42k, I just need to get the wife completely on board. LOL.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-05-2005, 12:56 PM Reply   
sharp ride! and don't worry about what others will think or their jealousy....
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-05-2005, 1:29 PM Reply   
Drew,

Nice looking boat and I'm sure that they are giving you a great deal. The guys at Waterski Boats Dallas will take good care of you.

Andrew
Old    zboomer            06-06-2005, 5:37 AM Reply   
Nice XLV! Skier's Choice makes a good boat, enjoy!
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-06-2005, 7:12 AM Reply   
Drew as long as your out there trying dont worry, its when you see a 40k plus boat with posers, not even trying or worse tubing (and im not talking about when it gets blown out and there is nothing better to do then tube for all you pc freaks)

Boat looks great, youll have a blast.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-06-2005, 4:40 PM Reply   
I own a 2004 XLV and absolutely love it!!! You'll love the size and the layout. The layout of the interior is really what sold me on the XLV. It has some innovations that no other boat on the market has. Like the drop in 42 quart cooler in the seats. You keep all the floor space! The engine is easily accessed. I like the seat back behind the driver seat. Only two boats on the market have that and their both Skiers Choice boats. Love the basement in the keel for the front bag, double up seating in the walk-thru and in addition, seating in the walk-thru. And then there's the stadium seating. Alot of innovations in Skiers Choice boats! You will love the size and room and wonder how you ever went boating without it!

Plus, it's a gorgeous boat!!!! Matt Brown and everyone at Skiers Choice did a great job on designing the XLV!
Old    begone            06-06-2005, 7:49 PM Reply   
Man I'm excited. Were picking it up this Saturday. Good thing too, cause the guy said someone called today to Demo it. I'm glad we put our Deposit down, and I told the guy "don't let anyone touch it!"
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-06-2005, 7:55 PM Reply   
I accidently touched it today with the forklift...but don't worry..we can have it fixed by Saturday!

Just joking bro..congrats!

McFly
Waterski Boats Dallas
Old    begone            06-08-2005, 5:01 PM Reply   
Well, I'm going to pick up the boat either Friday or Saturday. Man am I excited. Hey if anyones interested in a new boat, check out Waterski Boats Dallas in Lewisville. Talk to Dennis. He made this process very hassle free, did not pressure us in ANY way and was a class act. He also got us a great deal. Well probably a deal they give everyone, but I'm happy with it and think that it was very fare. Later, and I will post pics of the boat and wake this weekend. Thanks for your help guys.

Drew
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-08-2005, 6:07 PM Reply   
For the lazy people.
Old    begone            06-08-2005, 8:07 PM Reply   
Hey, I have a question. Someone I know who is a great wakeboarder said that this boat really wasn't the greatest Wakeboarding boat. Due to the limited turning radius. He's use to riding in Air Natique's and I guess that boat turns on a dime. Is that true about this boat or just in general about the larger wakerboarding boats?

Thanks.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-09-2005, 7:05 AM Reply   
Drew,

That's a matter of opinion. The Nautique throws out a world class wake, and is very nimble as far as handling but it's so limited for space inside that three people can make it seem crowded. Your boat will throw out a seriously kick arse wake with the Gravity Games ballast and handles very well compared to boats of similar size. Most people these days want room and wake, your boat does both very well.

Enjoy!
Old    zboomer            06-09-2005, 9:57 AM Reply   
Kinda hard to compare an Air Nautique to a Mobius XLV. Yes, it will handle heavier, but you could practically sit a SAN inside the XLV it's so much bigger.

Like saying a Miata handles better than an Excursion, heh.

These two boats are entirely different markets.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-09-2005, 11:56 AM Reply   
Well, the new XStar is large as well and definitely doesn't handle as well as a smaller boat like a SAN but it doesn't stop the professional from pulling of great tricks and riding double ups.

I am in no way comparing the two but the market is demanding larger wakeboard boats (hence the popping up of a lot of these boats) and while sure they don't handle as well, they get the job done. It isn't like you are trying to slalom the boat in and out of cones on a race track.

It turns well enough and can be compensated by learning how to drive a bigger boat, well. Heck, I went from this boat to a 24SSV and some very good people have no problems pulling off all their tricks behind it. Take the comment with a grain of salt.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-09-2005, 12:45 PM Reply   
Don't forget that the "AIR" Nautique is a direct drive where the XLV is a V-drive. Direct drive boats typically handle much better than a V-drive. Have your friend drive a Super Air and compare it to his Air. I think he would probably make the same comments about the way the Super Air handles just as he did about the XLV.

I have to second Drew's comments about Water Ski Boats Dallas. I bought an SSV from Marty earlier this year and it was a very painless process. Marty, Dennis, and Ronnie all delivered on everything they promised, 100%.

As with any boat, there are always a few issues in the begining. Brandon and the service department took care of everything ASAP. If you are within a few hundred miles of the Dallas area and are considering a Skier's Choice boat, it would be worth the drive to bring your business to WSBD (this may sound like an ad for them, but they did me right and I think they deserve credit where credit is due).

(Message edited by nauty on June 09, 2005)
Old    zboomer            06-09-2005, 12:56 PM Reply   
The only handling that matters to me in a wakeboard boat is how well it drives in a straight line at about 23 mph, hah.

Not really, but isn't that what matters handling wise? It's not like we're trying to run through a set of cones back and forth with the boat.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2005, 1:49 PM Reply   
Hmmm... I love the boat... hate the trailer!!!

He is going to run into nothing but problems with those brakes locking up on him...

You will see!!!

I am goona guess he will have to drain the brake fluid just to be able to back that thing up!

Crazy but true... seriously... I just have a strange feeling about that trailer...

Oh well... can't say I didnt tell you so!!!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-10-2005, 2:48 PM Reply   
lol
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2005, 10:59 PM Reply   
Hey Diggs... I told you so...

One other thing I forgot to mention... I don't know if you can hear it...

But look at the boat closely... do you hear a ticking sound? I do... Not a good sign. I wouldnt go near that boat with a ten foot pole. That motor is brand new and it makes a ticking sound!

Again... I don't want to have to say "I told you so!"
Old    begone            06-14-2005, 9:13 PM Reply   
Don't worry guys. I Drained the Brake Fluid on the Trailer and the Oil in the Engine.
All the Noises are gone!
IT's Amazing.
Oil..phhsst...it's WAY over rated.

(Message edited by begone on June 14, 2005)
Old    shoeish            06-16-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
I have a Moomba Mobius XLV w/ gravity games package. It only has the 320hp motor and I'm at 5000ft above sea level, so its a little weak out of the hole with full ballast and 8-9 people, but getting up is easy. Even then, it turns plenty sharp and rope delivery is super simple and quick.

Growing up on inboard/outboard boats, this boat handles better than anything I have ever been on.

The trailer is very nice. Pulls awesome, even though the boat is damn heavy, and stops very smooth. If you have your trailer lights hooked up correctly, the reverse light on your truck will deactivate the trailer brakes for backing up.

(Message edited by shoeish on June 16, 2005)