Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old    rkewish            06-12-2005, 10:48 AM Reply   
Looking to buy a new boat. The deals "Special Boat Show price" for a Chaparrel is ~30k.

I'm looking to pay cash.

Does anyone know what kind of haggle room is typical. 2k, 5k? none? I don't want to be blind stupid and overpay.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Ron
Old    alanp            06-12-2005, 12:39 PM Reply   
i think i heard dealer mark up is around 25-28 percent. dont quote me on that. and if im dead wrong dont flame me on it either.
Old     (retrofridge)      Join Date: May 2005       06-12-2005, 8:14 PM Reply   
Not on a Chaparrel. Maybe a Nautique or Master Craft.
Old    wakepirate            06-12-2005, 10:57 PM Reply   
cash deal??? I've never sold boats but i have cars......ask em to see the invoice...(INVOICE NOT STICKER)!!!then go about 10% or more % cheaper. If they don't like it walk away and find another dealer. You'll find your stance between 3 or more competing dealers.
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-13-2005, 10:15 AM Reply   
I would like to note that the best deal isnt always the cheapest price. Good service and an honest dealer is what I would also look at. Although wakepirate does says to offer 10 percent below the invoice, invoice price i think is a great deal, yes dealers stil have romm below that, but this allows them to make a small profit as well and I hope my dealer stays up and runnng and by demanding them to make no money or very little I think is unfair. Look for a deal and bargain but find a good dealer with a good track record.
Old    wakepirate            06-13-2005, 10:57 AM Reply   
Yeah Jared I agree with you, they aren't exactly like car dealerships where numbers count more than tdv of the sale. Most dealers surely don't pump as many boats out as the auto dealer. So for them to make a little more profit would be fair in that respect. I have never actually purchased a "new" boat, so I don't know much about wheeling and dealing with them.
Old    leggester            06-13-2005, 11:23 AM Reply   
They don't care about cash. Same as credit or loan - they get their money :-)
Old     (speakersox)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-14-2005, 11:36 AM Reply   
Dealer can make a nice profit on financing, I would not mention paying cash until a price has been reached upon.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-14-2005, 12:08 PM Reply   
I ditto Matt. We ran into the same thing...the guy at the dealership actually wanted us to finance instead of paying cash because he got some money on the back end.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-14-2005, 4:59 PM Reply   
"ask em to see the invoice...(INVOICE NOT STICKER)!!!then go about 10% or more % cheaper. If they don't like it walk away and find another dealer."

3 huge problems

1) boat dealers are not car dealer and do not work the same!
2) they won't show you the invoice!
3)they won't go below the invoice nor would you want them to. Unlike car dealers invoice is what they end up paying for the boat

(Message edited by krbaugh on June 14, 2005)
Old    wakepirate            06-14-2005, 6:00 PM Reply   
As I said kevin, I've never bought a "new boat". My mistake. But also...when I was working for that dealership, we weren't supposed to show the invoice either. But....that's another story. Are you a boat dealer?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-14-2005, 6:05 PM Reply   
No but I play one on TV

Actually I promo Centurion and work very closely with a dealer and I have a very close friend that is the plant manager at Centurion.

Some car dealers have advertising campaigns around we will show you the invoice
Old    wakepirate            06-14-2005, 6:15 PM Reply   
Well I believe some will show ya invoice, maybe not centurion, but now I'm curious. Hell I dunno. Maybe I'll go look at boats tomorrow. I'm scared I may like something though, and i'm a lil strapped with new baby. The old lady would killllll me if I came home with one. (new boat) or actually I think she may be more inclined to kill me if I came home with new baby...hmmnn
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-14-2005, 6:24 PM Reply   
Sounds like a plan see how many copies of a invoice from a boat dealer you can get and post them

Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-15-2005, 9:08 AM Reply   
Agree.....the day you can get a boat dealer to show a consumer invoice......will not be soon.
There is a reason that everyone wants to know cost or markup %.....if you knew the real markup then you would be MAD and second the dealers would not be able to make margin on boats....Remember a car dealer may roll 100+ units out the door per month....Now look at boat dealers volume.....Let say MC produces 3400 boats annually, they claim to have 100+ dealers....the avg's to 34 boat per dealer annually.....How are people are going to upset now that GM has revealed employee pricing?.....I've had this since I married my wife....kind of upset me to know that I was getting shafted.

Oh yeah, cash is not King either......In house financing is.....

(Message edited by prostar205v on June 15, 2005)
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-15-2005, 1:30 PM Reply   
Ron-
I'm not trying to bash, but since you are on wakeworld, I'm assuming that you'll be wakeboarding behind this boat, so why a Chaperrel? They are nice boats and everything, but if you think you're going to be wakeboarding the majority of the time you go out, you should be looking at a slightly used wake-specific boat in the same price range. Someone once told me that I should buy my second boat first, and they were dead right. I ended up having to wait another year before I could do it, but I was glad I waited.

Plus, on a used boat you won't take the depreciation hit. A 2003 Chaperrel 210SS books out at just over $21k. I don't know if that's the same boat you're looking at, but if it is, that's a good sized hit for only 2 years.
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-15-2005, 1:56 PM Reply   
You should ask this guy why he's selling a 2004. Looks like he put a lot of $$$ into it too...

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/234631.html?1118821066

Old    ozonerider            06-17-2005, 1:38 PM Reply   
When I sold Tige boats, there was no "official" MSRP and the dealer I worked for was free to mark up all he wanted. Alan's numbers look pretty realistic to me as this particular dealership was pretty greedy!

Wakepirate's estimate of dealer holdbacks of approximately 10% is possible if the dealer commits to buying his boats early in the season and goes for volume.

Bottom line is that there is a lot of room to negotiate price.

That having been said, when I was ready to put my own hard-earned money down my main priorities were: 1) A reputable dealership w/ a good service department and good customer service 2) A fair price (remember, the dealer needs to make some money so that he will be around to service your boat later).

With those priorities, I definitely did NOT want to buy a Tige locally, even though I like the product a lot. Finally got a deal I couldn't refuse from one of the local MasterCraft dealers on a 2004 X-star and have been happy ever since...