Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-12-2005, 2:26 PM Reply   
Just to preface I suck at wiring. No electrical experience what so ever. I currently have a perko isolating 2 batteries. I purchased a Stinger SR200 for simplicity. I have several questions about switching over to the relay. I've read through all the old posts and cant find my specific answers.
1) Can I just wire the relay in place of the Perko(not sure if perko uses "true ignition source"
2) If stereo battery is near dead will it draw down the starting batt once boat is started
3) Is there a voltage drop using the relay (have conflicting info from previous posts
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-12-2005, 6:51 PM Reply   
1. No, you have to wire the coil of the relay to an ignition source and ground, and put the contacts of the relay in series (interrupting) the hot lead to the aux battery. You could leave the perko in place, but put the solenoid in the hot lead off the second battery. You would leave the perko in the all position in normal operation.

2. Yes, but if you leave the perko in place you can prevent that by switching out of the 2 or All position, physically disconnecting the second battery even if the solenoid is energized. Do that if you drain your aux battery and don't want to discharge the starting battery into it.

3. Not usually, but over time the contacts can build up carbon on them causing a slight voltage drop. Same with a Perko switch. Not a big problem.

Hope that helps.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-13-2005, 8:18 AM Reply   
thanks Psycolne ! Thats exactly what I needed !
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-13-2005, 1:36 PM Reply   
actually heres another dumb question that just occured to me. With just the standard Perko installed can one dead battery draw down the starting battery in the all position when the boats started ?
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-13-2005, 3:33 PM Reply   
Yes, but if your alternator is putting out it should recharge fairly quickly, let the boat run for a while to charge both batteries. The more expensive perko (40$ vs. 25$) will allow you to switch between batteries while the engine is running without popping your alternator.

I against I, that's a Bad Brains record, right? They ROCK.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-13-2005, 3:57 PM Reply   
thank agian, and yes good call Its Bad Brains
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-14-2005, 5:41 AM Reply   
or instead of leaving the perko in you could just add a small switch to control the stinger at or under the dash to keep the "stereo" battery disconnected till you want to tie the banks together???