Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old     (rmbrinner)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-09-2005, 9:13 PM Reply   
I am getting close to purchasing a used wakeboard boat, but I am in no rush and would like to get the best boat I can for around $30,000. I have been looking on boattraderonline for a while now and think I am interested in a 2001 X-Star, 205V, or Malibu VLX. Preferrably I would like to get one with low hours because I plan on keeping the boat for a long time. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have heard that some of the 2001 X-Stars have had some problems with their interiors and even some problems with transmissions. Is this true and how big of problems are they?

Also, am I realistic about finding one of these boats with around 200 hours with perfect past and trip ballast for $30,000? If I waited until next spring would that help in bring the cost down?

Also, any suggestions on the MC vs. the Malibu would be helpful - including information on which one will hold its value better in the future. Thanks.
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-10-2005, 4:23 AM Reply   
Not sure about Malibu pricing, but I think you will be hard pressed to find a 2001 X-Star for 30K.

Check out Flipsell.com and you can get a pretty good idea. And the price may be lower and more negotiable in the "off" season.

(Message edited by ndh2o on June 10, 2005)
Old     (rmbrinner)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-10-2005, 8:17 AM Reply   
Thanks for the reply. What do you think a good deal would be for the O1 X-Star with around 200 hours, and how much would that come down in the off season? Also, what are the best months of the year to negotiate on used boats?
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-10-2005, 8:43 AM Reply   
I am thinking pricewise, and '01 X-Star w/ 200 hrs should be 33-36K, depending on motor, options, cleanliness, tandem trailer. Flipsell is a great indicator though.

Generall late fall early winter is the best time to negotiate. Some people don't want to make payments through the winter. But you want it to be warm enough to give it a good test drive, and ride behind if you can. Can be tricky in the winter, depending on where you live.
Old     (rmbrinner)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-10-2005, 9:46 AM Reply   
What about problems with the 01 X-Star? I saw on your profile page that you own an 01 X-Star. Have you had any problems with the interior turning pink or the transmission, and how many hours do you have on it?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-10-2005, 10:08 AM Reply   
Those are both awesome boats. Which dealer is closest to you? You might want to consider service convenience.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-10-2005, 10:27 AM Reply   
Some not all 2000 and 2001 had bad interior. I'm not sure how you could find out when the boats with bad interior where made. If the interior was changed out I would say go for it. If the it hasn't been changed out I would probably shy away from it. I'm not sure about the transmissions.
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-10-2005, 10:39 AM Reply   
No trans problems at all, and my vinyl didn't turn pink. I keep it wiped down pretty well. The only problem I had was the engine cover vinyl is pleated and they tend to split at these pleats. It is being taken care of though. I love everything about the boat, especially the wake. I have ridden behind a 2001 Wakesetter that was also very nice and had a monstrous wake too. Hard to go wrong with either boat.
Old     (rogerw44)      Join Date: May 2002       06-10-2005, 12:04 PM Reply   
Matt,
I have a 2001 X-Star with 200 hours. Never had any major problems, just minor ones my dealer fixed. Examples: Replaced MCD box (very common), Transmission breather recall, gas tank leaked at access cover on top of tank (replaced gasket), set screw on perfect pass servo knob vibrated loose and fell down into the bilge, had to idle back to trailer and take to dealer, now carry spares. Never had a problem with the transmission. Do have a few very small pink spots (like the size of a quarter) on 2 seat cushions, but they seem to fade away in the sun and re-appear in different spots. I do keep the interior well cleaned and 303'ed. All in all a great boat. Good luck.
I'm not looking to sell, but 36K sounds like a fair price for a boat well maintained with all the goodies.
Old     (rmbrinner)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-10-2005, 5:32 PM Reply   
I appreciate all the information. I heard from talking to a friend at a dealer that the X1 that is coming out for 06 is going to cost around $39,000 new and around 44,000 with all the options you need. Do you think this will hurt the values of the 01's?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-10-2005, 5:55 PM Reply   
I'd say those prices sounds way too low for a new hull design. The X-2 which uses a 10 year old hull still goes for close to 50,000. How is a new hull design going to sell for 39,000?
Old    corn_nut            06-10-2005, 6:52 PM Reply   
You think 39 - 44k is too low to pay for a boat? Are you joking? Do you know how much it cost to build a boat? They are making like 300% profit, because people like you, who will finance with your sister's virginity as collateral, are willing to pay those prices. Those motors cost what? 4-$5k? You think it costs 40k more for a fiberglass hull and some vinyl, and a bunch of electronics that you are going to replace anyways? I dunno...I guess I am just not rich like the rest of the people on this forum.

Guess I needed to vent...this whole boat shopping thing is getting to me!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-10-2005, 7:26 PM Reply   
J-Rod ~ The x-2 is becoming the x-1 and the new hull will become the x-2.

Matt ~ I doubt they will be that cheap EVER no matter of new designs or not.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-13-2005, 8:57 AM Reply   
I too have an 01. The vinyl did turn pink in spots, but MC replaced the entire cockpit seating area, and the sundeck where the stitching started to tear. No Tranny proplems. If you look hard enough in the midwest, I bet you can find one for around 30-33K. I bought mine in 02 for 38k loaded.