Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       06-06-2005, 6:34 PM Reply   
I made a bone head move and put too much oil in my 350 PCM and there is a lifter tick. think there is any damage?
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-07-2005, 5:48 AM Reply   
Peter ,you around here?

Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-07-2005, 5:59 AM Reply   
Probably not, but draing it to the appropriate level ASAP.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-07-2005, 4:33 PM Reply   
How much is too much? This should not create a lifter problem. It can blow out the seals on the block. It may also create foaming problems due to the crank/rods dipping into the oil.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       06-09-2005, 6:53 AM Reply   
Got it back from the shop and all is well.
Well, except my pride!
Old    bambamski            06-09-2005, 8:32 AM Reply   
How much is too much? 1 liter, 2 liters?
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       06-09-2005, 5:07 PM Reply   
Don' go past the full line ion the dip stick.
I didn't realize I changed the oil on a bit of a hill, so it said full. later on the river I checked it on the river but I didn't give the oil sufficient time to sink it the pan, and it read full. I would do 3.5 quarts and run the motor briefly to fill the filter then let it sit a while and add accordingly.
Old    powaman            06-09-2005, 5:15 PM Reply   
I have a siphon hand pump. Too much fluid? Stick the hose down the dipstick tube and start pumping. But I've never had this problem with oil, only tranny fluid.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       06-09-2005, 5:45 PM Reply   
My oil pan has a hose off of it that I can run out my drain in my boat. pretty nice but it takes for-ev-er to drain.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-10-2005, 2:09 PM Reply   
If you are talking about a half a quart or so it probably isn't any issue at all. I did a real bone head move once: I have a pair of engines on my houseboat. I was changing the oil and got distracted somewhere between draining the oil between the first and second engine. Then I added the expected amount and fired the engine up, ran them for a minute and checked the oil.

First engine was fine, second engine had oil to the top of the dipstick! Oooops! Guess I forgot to drain that one first!

I drained the oil down to the proper level and everything was okay.

I would expect that the worst thing that too much oil would do would be to cause excessive oil burning. It is also possible that the oil could foam up and "puke" out the vents, creating an oily mess all over the engine. I would not expect any problems with seals, gaskets, lifters, etc.

Regarding your lifter tick: Does it just tick for a few seconds on startup and then quiet down? If so, then I wouldn't worry about it. If it continues to tick then you need to replace the lifter.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       06-10-2005, 3:10 PM Reply   
No, the tick is gone now that the oil is now at a more reasonable level. The dealer said that was typical when there was too much oil but only after running it for a while. I ran it two days prior with no noise, but I never got over 2000rpm. The day it happened I was @ 3500 for over 10 minutes or so, and thats when it started.
Thank goodness everything is ok and no more tick!