Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       08-05-2004, 4:51 PM Reply   
I am looking to buy a new board and like many people in western washington i know someone who knows someone who knows someone who works at a board factory. My hookup works at hyperlite so im pretty set on getting that brand. I been riding a 2001 byerly 142 and loved the board untill i rode some other boards including my old hyperlite revert from 1998 or something. Well know i think the byerly is too slow and i think a board that is faster better fits my riding style. The problem with having a hookup is you cant demo boards. So i want to know if the TFD is fast cutting board or if a board like the parks is better. The hyperlite site seems to lead me to believe that the TFD is a good choise.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-05-2004, 5:52 PM Reply   
ahahahahahahhahaah.... sorry not laughing at you at all, but god yes is the TFD fast cutting.... wont find a board that hooks up better on edge and goes this fast... i promise... boards a little tricky toeside though..
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-05-2004, 7:01 PM Reply   
How is a board tricky toeside? That's somebody else's heelside.

Anyways, I loved the TFD. It's fast, tracks well, and pops well. I snapped my DNA version pretty quick though so I'd get a biolite.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-05-2004, 7:03 PM Reply   
toeside is toeside for goofy or heelside....
Old    saxosham            08-05-2004, 11:56 PM Reply   
I used to ride the Byerly myself, last year I changed to a TFD and haven't looked back!! The TFD is much more predictable than the Byerly, and is a very consistent board. It has helped my riding tremendously and keeps me in control, it is a super fast board and suits my riding style. You will probably not get the same air as you have been getting with your Byerly but it is worth the sacrifice.
Old     (cas)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-06-2004, 1:44 AM Reply   
How many of you TFD riders uses 0.7' fins instead of 1.1'?
Old     (tantrum20)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-06-2004, 5:42 AM Reply   
I was wondering... never ridden a TFD but ridden a Trip for 3 years... this was a pretty fast board... is the TFD faster??
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-06-2004, 7:29 AM Reply   
I agree with garet, I just got one and it is the board for me. I went from a trip to an 01 byerly then an 03 byerly then the temet and now the tfd. The tfd has it all, fast like the trip, smoother pop than the byerlys and lands soft like the temet. The pop is not as big as the byerly but is super smooth and controlable. As far as "tricky toeside", my toeside has improved in only about half a dozen rides, my toeside stuff is now going into the flats.

Some guy has an 03 136 dna on here for $225 shipped, great deal!
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-06-2004, 7:38 AM Reply   
Oh yeah, I ride with the 1.1 fins and it is plenty loose, but locks in like a rocket when on edge. I like to throw my tricks wake to wake and with the speed of the tfd my tricks are going into the flats.
Tantrum20, I rode the 01 trip for a few years and loved the speed and pop, but the landings were brutal on my bad knees and ankles.
I did demo the parks 138 last year and I didn't like it, it felt big for a 138. I take a mellow wake to wake cut and I don't think the parks is designed for that. just my .02
Old     (tranner)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-06-2004, 8:04 AM Reply   
For those of you riding the 136, how heavy are most of you? My buddy is considering the TFD but thought the 136 might be too small for him at 180 lbs.
Old     (wakeboardwade)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-06-2004, 8:09 AM Reply   
ya the TFD will be great and fast but remmember to get the right size becuase any board thats to small is slow
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-06-2004, 8:18 AM Reply   
.7 fins on the TFD really loosen it up and help it release much quicker. Highly recommended!

Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       08-06-2004, 8:39 AM Reply   
I learned on that board and loved it! But now i ride a LF team and like it better.. But if your stuck with hyperlite you'll enjoy it!
Old     (tantrum20)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-06-2004, 8:58 AM Reply   
I wouldn't recommand a 136 to someone that weights 180 lbs... I'm around 190 lbs and riding a 140... it's a 3-stage though, they tend to be a little slower... even if the absolute is a pretty fast board for a 3-stage IMO...
I would surely put some .7 fins if I were riding that board...
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-06-2004, 10:43 AM Reply   
I'm 175-185 and was riding the 136 and absolutely loved it. The board seems bigger than a 136. Once I broke my TFD I went to a 138 LF Subtance and they seem about the same size.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-06-2004, 10:45 AM Reply   
PS. The toeside thing still doesn't make any sense. The board is the same in any direction.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-06-2004, 11:56 AM Reply   
Stanfield.......... Im really not understanding what your talking about as far as 'toeside'. You said "How is a board tricky toeside? That's somebody else's heelside." and "The board is the same in any direction" in two different posts. Wether your goofy or regular toeside is the edge your toes are on, and as far as the TFD being tricky off the wake toeside.... it just takes a precise edge through the wake compared to most other boards (all Liquid Forces). You've got to have good edge control to get all of the pop out of this board toeside. Just trying to get on same page with you.

The TFD is alot faster then the Trip. The 1.1 fins that come with it are Way Overkill and changing over to the 0.7 fins will livin this board up to where I believe Hyperlite and Chad Sharpe intended it to be. You can hold just as good of an edge with the 0.7s but have much better release in neutral and off the wake. I ride tail heavy so most boards people consider loose arn't too loose for me because I really lean back on the fins and channels.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-06-2004, 11:57 AM Reply   
By the way I'm 5'8"/5'9" and 140 pounds on a biolite 136 TFD.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-06-2004, 1:00 PM Reply   
Paul the board isn't gonna be any different in the wake whether you're toeside or heelside. It's gonna require the same edge through the wake toeside as it requires heelside. Either side isn't gonna be any "tricker" on either side, that's all technique.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       08-06-2004, 1:15 PM Reply   
Thanks a lot i was a little skeptical because i hadn't heard a lot about the TFD good or bad, but know my decission is made. The Byerly was a 142 so the size wasnt making the board slow,
Know my next question is it worth it at all to get the DNA core over the biolite. My byerly was a Biolite and i never had a problem.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-06-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
I snapped my DNA TFD in less than 2 months. I would recommend the foam biolite over the DNA every time.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-06-2004, 1:26 PM Reply   
Stanfield - we all know your big-tough-board-snapper-guy, but did you ever think that board might have had a defect? Just cuz you broke one board doesn't mean that they're all weak. Now if you told me that you broke 20 in 2004, then I would say that the DNA is weaker.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-06-2004, 1:27 PM Reply   
toeside is toeside for goofy or heelside....

whoa, I'm confused!
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-06-2004, 1:40 PM Reply   
I'm no big board snapper guy, just a DNA board is the only one that's ever done that to me. Just putting my experiences out there for someone about to dump a lot of money on a board. Besides, DNA boards are known throughout the industry as being weaker than biolite. I'm just echoing what's already known.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-06-2004, 2:34 PM Reply   
Stanfield...... Got ya and it makes perfect sense. I guess I should have said I don't cut in exactly the same way toeside as far as handle postion and body postion from my heelside cut so the TFD wasn't working well at all with me toeside off the wake. I've never had a problem before with any other board. For example... I could hardly jump toeside without really thinking about it let alone do an invert like a front roll or something. On any other board (Trip, Helix, Subjekt, Belmont) I didn't have a problem with inverts or jumps. It's my technique BUT I have heard others complain in person, not just on a dicussion board. Other then that the board is great.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-06-2004, 2:36 PM Reply   
P.S., I was only trying to clear up the discussion between us.... You know everything I say is all in good friendly conversation right?!!
Just wanna clear it up since I've been sounding all serious like ya know..
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-06-2004, 4:12 PM Reply   
Don't mind me, I'm just mad at the wakeboard world right now because I have to sit out the season yet again and all you bastards are probably loading up right this second for your weekend out on the water.

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-06-2004, 4:29 PM Reply   
dude stanfield, you might as well sell your wakeboarding gear and buy a gun...just kidding.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-06-2004, 4:29 PM Reply   
This weeks for you then Stanfield!
Old    saxosham            08-06-2004, 7:58 PM Reply   
Biolite all the way!!
Old     (blackhash)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-09-2004, 8:51 AM Reply   
First off the TFD as well as some of the hyperlite line was misslabeled in 03 i dont know if it was any other year, but the TFD 136 is actually a 138. Also i find it a must to swtich the fins from 1.1 to .07 A wings or .08 p wings either way works really well. The TFD is amazingly fast i have rode many a board and it is the fastest i have ever been on. If you want fast with up pop this board isnt for you it is a board that mainly shoots you out not up. So it depends on your riding style. P.S. Paul i am going to try and come up this weekend so we will be doing a LOT of riding!
Old    essy            08-09-2004, 9:54 AM Reply   
pardon my fullest extent of stupidity, but what does TFD stand for?
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       08-10-2004, 2:28 PM Reply   
Ok thanks for the help so far, now for the last question. im 5'8" and 170lbs and ride a 142 byerly. Am i going to be better off staying with the 142 or going with the 136, to me 136 sounds pretty small. Ive been boarding for a long time and am not afraid of a larger board burdening me. But i have been told that the byerly rides like a smaller board. So what do you guys think?
Old     (mosdefn14)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-10-2004, 2:41 PM Reply   
yeah for real...what does TFD stand for?

stanfield..why wakeboard when you can stay at home and watch sports center...
Old    africantapwater            08-10-2004, 4:45 PM Reply   
totally f dope

no idea, anyone else?

(Message edited by africantapwater on August 10, 2004)
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-10-2004, 5:28 PM Reply   
TFD stands for "Technical Freeride Design".... From Sharpie himself.
Old    wsrmatt            08-10-2004, 6:27 PM Reply   
Somebody told me, "Tony Finn Die" cuz it came out right when LF and Hyperlite were in a lawsuit. But even if thats true theyd never say it.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-10-2004, 8:38 PM Reply   
Its "Technical Freeride Design".... thats what the board is suited for also.
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-10-2004, 8:44 PM Reply   
DNA is Dumb.
Old     (cas)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-10-2004, 9:35 PM Reply   
If you search through earlier threads, people says it means "tight f*ck1ng deck"
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-10-2004, 10:01 PM Reply   
Yea thats what Chad Sharpe told me at the last stop of the backyard tour but later took it back as just something he says...
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-11-2004, 10:43 AM Reply   
What about the 3ds, does anyone no anything about it yet?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-11-2004, 12:43 PM Reply   
I do not know a thing!