Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-25-2010, 11:06 PM Reply   
So it is my 3 year anniversary and the girl wants to go to Las Rosas hotel in Ensanada. We went there once when first started dating and had a blast. I just wonder how safe it is to travel down there these days with all of the travel warnings and what not...anyone have any thoughts or recent experiences regarding travel down there?
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-26-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
I frequent the area and find it safer now then its ever been. It seems with all the fighting between the cartels and cops nobody bothers with tourists. The cops won't even pull you over trying to make a buck anymore. That being said you probably don't want to go walking around the Barrio at 2am by yourself but you should have no problems at all.

P.S. A drivers licsense is all you need to return to the U.S. from Mexico a passport isn't even truely needed. I walked across the border a few weeks ago with out showing any proof of citizenship and they just let me back through because I answered the one question they asked right! " Are you a U.S. citizen" my reply "Yes" lol
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-26-2010, 9:19 AM Reply   
Please don't go down to Mexico with just a US Drivers License and expect to come home. Get a passport.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-26-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
I've been to Mex with just a drivers license before and didn't have alot of problems getting back across but then again i did have a broken leg...lol We both do alot of traveling so i was planning on bringing my passport just wasn't sure if i should plan on bringing a gun with me...lol I think it is probably okay as long as i stay on the toll roads and like you said stay off the streets at 2 am in the barrio
Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-26-2010, 11:35 AM Reply   
if you bring a gun into mex you may not ever come back dude lol the mexican police don't mess around with that stuff at all my dad is in law enforcement he went to ensenada a few months ago to extradite (sp) ? a prisoner and the mexican police made them check there weapons at the border! crazy i know.
Old     (jps912)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-26-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
I have a friend that got pulled over and they searched his car. Found only shotgun shells and they ended up in jail because they might have had a gun in the car.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-26-2010, 6:16 PM Reply   
Don't bring a gun, bullets, shells, anything firearm related. There is a stack of paperwork three inches thick you have to fill out to bring any firearm or anything related into the country. Saw the same thing here in Texas a while back with ammo at the border. Guy was arms dealer and was hunting with us at our friends ranch. We all went to Mexico for dinner, he was in his truck, we were all running late and he got redlighted driving across. Searched his truck, found have a box of shells, he was in prison in Mexico for around 4 years before he got out. He knew the laws, but didn't look in his truck and had forgotten about the shells.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-26-2010, 11:17 PM Reply   
Ok to be quite honest there is no way i would take a gun into mexico...i'm a lover not a fighter....hahaha I'm on the fence if i'll go down there though i'm just a little skeptical about how safe it is right now
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-27-2010, 6:33 AM Reply   
safe or not, Baja Norte is a damn armpit. my .02 is just dont go.

several years ago a group of us went down on a surf trip. guys in the other car got seperated from us and got in bad car accident about 10 mi S. of Rosarito. Nobody help them at all, matter of fact, the locals stole everything outta their car, even the damn shoes off their feet as they lay there critically injured. One buddy is a walking vegetable to this day, wont even recognize me if he saw me on the street.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-27-2010, 8:12 AM Reply   
Have you considered Cancun, Cozumel or any other part of Mexico?
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-27-2010, 9:07 AM Reply   
You should be fine.. Don't travel to far from the resort in the evening. It is funny how a buzz in the middle of the night will get you in the wrong places down there..
Old     (DavidClements)      Join Date: May 2010       05-27-2010, 10:50 AM Reply   
I'll tell you this, Rosarito/Ensenada is way safer than Tijuana... That being said, unless you are going because it is cheap and you can drive there, I'd go somewhere/anywhere else in Mexico...
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-27-2010, 1:26 PM Reply   
just don't go at all. why support a country that is already bleading us dry from the inside? find an american destination and support the US economy. if you are just looking to travel somewhere and lounge for a few days, there are plenty of great places in scottsdale just a few hours from you. plus, you get to support a state that actually gives a damn about the safety and well being of our country.

I am all about tradition and all that, but I think new memories in new places can be just as special. congrats by the way!
Old     (DavidClements)      Join Date: May 2010       05-27-2010, 2:52 PM Reply   
Go to Santa Barbara...
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-27-2010, 4:46 PM Reply   
Cabo!!!!!!! None of the criminals care to travel that far south lol and you'll have a complete blast..
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-28-2010, 12:50 AM Reply   
How are you getting to Ensanada? Driving? Not sure I would want to drive through Tijuana/Rosarito area.. Cali plates, nice car.. gringos.. nah! Why take the risk?

We were suppose to go to a wedding there last year and it ended up being moved to San Diego because of all the crap going on down there.

As for the border patrol checking passports... you might get lucky and not need it, but what if you don't have one? Technically it's required:

"Starting June 1, 2009, all travelers entering the U.S. by land, sea or air were required to present a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document such as a passport or a passport card. While passport cards and enhanced driver’s license are sufficient for re-entry into the United States, they may not be accepted by the particular country you plan to visit; " - http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...s/cis_970.html

Not wanting to take a chance I picked up one of the Passport Card so I wouldn't have to carry my passport when traveling to Mexico/Canada, etc.. http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt...card_3926.html
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-28-2010, 9:38 AM Reply   
Another thought popped in my head...with all this AZ immigration i bet the Mexicans are pissed off right now...yeah i'm not heading down there...looks like Huntington Beach or the River
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-28-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
Good call. I wouldn't want to be doing much travel in Mexico right now.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-28-2010, 10:11 AM Reply   
I'm in Arizona if you like mexico just come over here we have plenty of them, 1070 isnt working fast enough. But really your in southern california best of the best. I wouldnt cross the boarder for anything.