Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (jfbruin34)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-15-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
So we've got a houseboat and my buddies X45 this weekend for 4 days on Lake Powell.

I've never been- anyone have suggestions for what the best fingers are to get great water all day?

Also, anything else we absolutely gotta check out while were there??
Old     (kopp210)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-15-2008, 2:10 PM Reply   
My best luck was always near dangling rope fuel dock. There are a few spots on the south side of the lake in that area that are pretty nice. It is a treck though... Most of the boat traffic stays in the main channel on their way to Rainbow bridge, leaving the fingers pretty nice.
Old     (jfbruin34)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-15-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
Any good spots to go cliff- diving?
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-15-2008, 2:59 PM Reply   
Just so you know if you are cliff jumping anything that is over 15 ft it is illegal at Lake Powell. I guess they have had to many accidents.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-15-2008, 3:01 PM Reply   
My family really likes Padre Bay. Lake Powell isn't what it used to be. Back in the 80's we could stay at warm creek and get smooth water all day. Now it seems like everybody and their dog goes there.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-15-2008, 8:15 PM Reply   
The lake is not too bad this year (not too busy)
The economy going south has kept people away from powell a little. if you think gas prices are steap, check the ones on the water.
I just talked with a gas dock employee yesterday and asked her what the biggest single bill she saw was... "$3,1## more than 3,000 smacks... maaannn!!!

The Castle Rock cut going from wahweap to warm creek is open, so surprisingly, there is often good water between wahweap and the dam, because most people are soo stoked about going through it that no one gos down that way anymore...except for an occasionbal tour boat, BUT MAN!! you have got to go follow a tour boat and surf the MASSIVE wake that occurs when your wake combines with the PHAT tour boat wake. Everyone! I mean, Everyone, has GOT to experience slashing a screwed up huge wall of water like that at least once. But beware of treating like a double up, that thing will toss you on your face when you punch through it, or get punched BY it.
But parking a houseboat soo close to page and wahweap might be kinda pointless... or not, some do it and like it...

ok... anyway...

I don't go up lake much. i'm a local and just go home to sleep after a run.
Padre is definately nice. I have friends that LOVE last chance canyon/ bay
ANYWHERE should be nice EARLY in the morning, and again in the evening. sometimes lunch time is good too, 'cause (most) everyone is on the beach eating

THINGS TO SEE:
#1 Rainbow Bridge
#2 Antelope Canyon (take a land-side tour too [departs by the power plant, or you can arrange a truck to take you out from page]}
#3 Horse Shoe Bend (this is in glen canyon down stream of the dam. it is 5 or so miles south of page. there is a small turn off on the right as you head down. park. then walk about 1/4 mile or so and Whala! The scene at horse shoe bend was used for a hyperlite board graphic several years back

If you down by page (wahweap side) then I can help you out with stuff to some degree. I don't have a boat of my own yet though. I'll check back on the thread if you got more Q. or you can PM me. or whatever.

HAVE FUNN!!!

}
Old     (bobert)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-15-2008, 10:27 PM Reply   
There are a few places to jump. Didn't know about the 15 foot limit.
Upload
Old     (jfbruin34)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-16-2008, 11:18 PM Reply   
Great stuff guys, keep em coming...

So stoked!
Old     (kopp210)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-17-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
A key is to find a canyon that doesn't have all vertical rock walls. Even with just your own wakes you will get one pass and then it will take a while to flatten back out due to all the reflection. Look for a canyon with nice sandy sloped banks. With the water level up I'm not sure where that may be.

There are some nice small canyons on the south side of the lake near GunSight and Padre. MountainSheep, Wetherhill, and Face Canyon were my favorites. Run the big canyons in the early AM, then when it gets rough you can head to the smaller areas. I am anxious to see the lake with the water coming back up.
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-17-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
We just got back yesterday.
With only 4 days you will be limited on how far you travel up the lake. Jeremy's advise is all good. We went as far as Escalante River Canyon but the best water last week was closer to Wahweap, like Padre and Last Chance. The monsoonal weather made it windy every day and night. Like Ryan said, Mountain Sheep, Wetherhill, West, Face or Labyrinth Canyon are great but all the good spots to beach a houseboat are usually taken.
Padre is crowded but has tons of places to beach it. Just get up early and ride the early morning butter. That X45 is a perfect boat for this place. I'll try to post pics later. Good luck.

PS fuel was $5.66 on the lake
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-17-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
Up at the end of the Escalante arm is our favorite spot. We were there for a week once and saw probably two other boats. Nice sandy beaches.
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-17-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
everytime i go to powell we ride the escalante arm. it has always been good!
Old     (kslakebum)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-17-2008, 11:59 AM Reply   
Escalante is the best place. If you are coming out of Bullfrog Iceburg Canyon is a good place too. They have a few good places to cliff jump off of.

Here is a good website to check out...
http://lakepowell.water-data.com/

http://www.lakepowellmarinas.com/fuel.html

You HAVE to go to Rainbow Bridge. Also up the Escalante they have some good Indian Ruins.

Have fun
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-17-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
Kelly, do you go to KW? i went to Bethel down the street.
Old     (bobert)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-17-2008, 1:31 PM Reply   
That picture of us jumping was up the Escalante. It was amazing up that arm. Cathedral in the Desert was pretty sick too when we were there, about a month ago.
Old     (jfbruin34)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-17-2008, 2:27 PM Reply   
If we are launching out of Wahweap and only have 4 days on the boat is Escalante still a possibility? Seems pretty far...
Old     (kslakebum)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-17-2008, 5:57 PM Reply   
Mike,
I go to K-State Salina.
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-17-2008, 6:25 PM Reply   
Josiah if you are cliff jumping dont jump into a shadow line. (shadow from the cliff to the sun part.) big carp swim there and it sucks when you hit them. Also troll around the landing area to check for rocks sticking up. Then have fun, its a great place.
Old     (yorwakebordfrend)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-20-2008, 6:35 PM Reply   
the channel is defintetely the best place to ride
Old     (baldboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-20-2008, 11:57 PM Reply   
San Juan River!