Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (c_fizz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-09-2008, 6:05 PM Reply   
I was wondering how often you guys accidently take on water over the bow when youve got your boat filled with ballast?
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-09-2008, 6:12 PM Reply   
never.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-09-2008, 6:18 PM Reply   
Only two good times, but on my own wake tho. 1st on accident, 2nd cause the young ladies seated in the bow looked like they need some cooling off.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-09-2008, 6:29 PM Reply   
never? come on. My first boat was a 92 Sport Nautique and on choppy days with 8 people in the boat a roller could come over it when i wasn't even moving. Sometimes it is unavoidable.

The Tomcat is insanely hard to dunk but it can be done if you foolishly turn into the wave when going back for a fallen surfer instead of waiting for them to pass.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-09-2008, 6:44 PM Reply   
surfing is the worst.can get scary with your old lady driving.
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-09-2008, 6:48 PM Reply   
I do it quite often. Never real bad but take on some water when it is choppy or hit a roller. We weight it down with with 900lbs in the front 650 in the rear, 11 people and the wedge, boat sits pretty low in the water.
Old     (zirb3l)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-09-2008, 6:50 PM Reply   
i get yelled at a lot because when i drive my friends tige 21i i have the tendency to take on some water. ALTHOUGH i must say i have taken on quite a massive wave once or twice. not my fault the bow is practically under water without people even in it!
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-09-2008, 7:25 PM Reply   
I had my first major "chilli dip" on Labor Day.The water coming off the bow filler cushion looked like a little waterfall.
Old     (c_fizz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-09-2008, 7:33 PM Reply   
i have only burried the bow one time when some people were complaining about being hot up in the bow but i have never done it on accident. One time when i was surfing my mom had to drive me and appearantly she dipped down so bad that people in the very back got their heads wet.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       09-09-2008, 7:34 PM Reply   
taking on water while going over your own wake to pick up a downed rider is just bad driving. I've never dipped the bow and we have it loaded with people and weight. I could see how one could do it on a lake like tahoe, gets super rough.
Old     (fordmxracer)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-09-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
been there, done that. Dont wanna go back because sh*t seems to go out when boat floods. Although I must say...its kinda funny watchin 3 people running to the stern at the same time with very limited space to do so.
Old    walt            09-09-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
I might take a little dip one a year.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-09-2008, 8:28 PM Reply   
I did once at Lake Mead in high winds. Going with the wind at your back is pretty tricky with 5 foot whitecaps. Imagine the waves rolling with you and you get going just a little bit faster than the wave itself...the nose creeps over the top of the wave and then the rest of the boat until the front half is heavier than the back, then the nose dives into the back of the next 5 foot roller. Water went all over everyone, even over the top of the bimini. Scared the out of me. Many boats got sunk at Mead on that very same weekend. I imagine had I taken 2 or 3 of those, I would have been in trouble. A few weeks later I was at the dealer and saw a boat exactly like mine that they dragged up from the depths that same weekend.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-09-2008, 9:13 PM Reply   
evey now and then. nothing like my old stars and strips tho. not only would you take a nice roller over the bow, being closed, it would conveniently drench the passenger
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-09-2008, 9:51 PM Reply   
The first time I dove chase boat (about 4 years go), I took a giant double up over the nose. Hit us like tital wave. 4 inches of water throughout my boat and ruined two of Buffalo's cameras. Remember that shiat walt?! Secretly I know Buffalo still hates me. We had too many people and too much weight in the boat to be filming.

I do it from time to time, bu when I do it, I always go big. A month or so ago I SOAKED Jeff Weatherall's girlfriend while diving chaseboat....right after I promised her it wouldn't happen. Sorry!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       09-09-2008, 10:00 PM Reply   
Take a look at J-Rod's profile picture and then ask the boats in the back ground. We all know what happened to Shaw's Pro V watching the BC.

P.S. J-Rod, Stickers never came! Thanks for trying...
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-10-2008, 4:58 AM Reply   
In my old malibu i did a couple of times. In my boat now never.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-10-2008, 5:44 AM Reply   
Up until last sunday, I had never done that. But we had our club's Malibu sportster sacked out. It's low enough in the water when it's empty of weight, but put some in, and wow, that nose gets tippy as hell. And I was doing everything I could to keep it from dunking. At one point it dunked just coming to a stop it was so nose heavy....
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-10-2008, 6:11 AM Reply   
Anytime someone comes on my boat (ladies) and doesnt want to get in the water they always think the bow is the dryest place to be. I will hit a roller just to get them wet and make them get into their bikinis. My buddy drove my boat when I was boarding with all the ballast full and he absolutely swamped the boat.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-10-2008, 7:25 AM Reply   
Almost never but it is sometimes unavoidable when loaded down to surf on a busy day and you catch some rollers. I personally haven't done it since my 94 MB sport (2 years) but some of my drivers have the last couple years.
Old    walt            09-10-2008, 7:44 AM Reply   

quote:

Remember that shiat walt?!

Like it was yesterday.I think that was more of a bad situation due to all the people on the boat and rollers coming from all over the place.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-10-2008, 8:37 AM Reply   
My wife was sleeping up front this year so I dipped he nose under.

talk about a dirty mouth!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-10-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
^ hahaha!! thats great!

I've done it several times. Surfing, mostly. I contend that if you know how to drive, it won't happen. There are circumstances that make it unavoidable. I could see a chaseboat being one of those.

The best dunks are in the old school closed bow 2001 types. Nobody sees it coming and then it really IS a waterfall!!!
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-10-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
Old school boat (Sanger DLX)...circus day at Naci one Memorial Day. Hangin' in a cove and decided to take the kids out....(2) knee boards. Headed out towards the middle and realized it was like playing on the freeway during rush hour and the rollers were massive. Lasted about 30 secs before the riders dropped. Had to go into "protect the kids driving mode", and took two over the front during that pick up session. Part of one roller made it over the bimini and drenched the guy sitting in the back....not good. In our boat you have to be paying attention not to dip it when loaded. Now I only dip it when the people in front need a cool down. The wife will still take on some water on a semi-regular basis (her trailer backing skills are stronger than her boat driving skills).
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-10-2008, 9:20 AM Reply   
Trapper,did you buy her some Orbit gum?
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-10-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
LOL the closed bow 2001,the windshield can make a dunk take on the look of a tidal wave.Makes it like a wall of water flying into the boat.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-10-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
Did it last weekend while driving my buddies 07 Bu VLS. The damn Malibu Cruise Control with drive by wire won't let you accelerate after it's been set. Even if you've pulled the throttle back. So you see the wake coming, you nail the throttle and nothing but two wakes coming over the bow.

A few years ago, we were riding 13 people in my VLX with full ballast, the bow would dunk coming down off of plane, there wasn't anything I could do to keep the thing from not dunking that day.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-10-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
Last weekend I buried it about 10 times trying the cross Lake George with six people in the boat and no ballast. Heavy winds and some steep short interval waves. At one point I turned around to let the pumps catch up. It was a rough ride and scary for the younger ones.
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-10-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
Whats the best way to avoid dipping the nose when picking up a downed surfer. Should you keep the bow forward and wait for the waves to pass and then turn around?
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-10-2008, 9:48 AM Reply   
> Whats the best way to avoid dipping the nose when picking up a downed surfer.

Most of the time I pull the throttle off and turn right (when surfing off the left side.) This puts the high side of the boat to the small wake, then I wait for the wake to pass while the boat is sideways. it works pretty well and avoids a power turn.
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-10-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
Is it better to turn with the weighted side of the boat inwards or outwards. I surf port side so am I better turning to the right or left to pick up a downed surfer.

Thx
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-10-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
When surfing the best deal is to powerdown and make a figure eight picking the rider up on the driver side.Like Craig said this will give you the small wake unless your on the other side.If that be the case you should power into them raising the nose.My problem is taking water over the back when I downthrottle.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-10-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
the key is to wait for it. takes a bit longer than boarding b/c the wave is slower. The boat will turn better when turning to the weighted side, but thats the big side of the wave. the other side is better, but some boats don't like to turn that way.

Brock, bring the throttle to about 1/2 then feather it as the boat comes off plane. If you chop it with a wave back there you'll get soaked!
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-10-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
Another trick I learned is to hit reverse just slightly as the roller approaches the bow and it will lift up the nose enough to keep from dipping it. This helps a ton if you have people or a ton of ballast in the front.
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-10-2008, 10:21 AM Reply   
^^^^ yep
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       09-10-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
Ive tried dunking the Tomcat but havent been able too. Although the "Bonecrusher" buried my Calabria Pro V at Spring Ride 2yrs ago.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-10-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
I dunk mine all the time to get the ladies in the front wet. When I dont wanna dunk it I can avoid it easy, i do it on purpose sometimes though. I watched my buddy turn around to pick me up when we were surfing and he went str8 through one and the water hit the wind sheild and shot up and over into the seating area with water up to the cup holder next to the driver on an x-star.
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-10-2008, 10:59 AM Reply   
okay, so I'm a little confused. If I have all of my weight on the left side (passenger side) do I want to turn to the right or left when picking up a downed surfer. I read somewhere that you want to turn with the weighted side inwards so that would be to the left for me but that would put me facing the bigger side of the wave. Thanks for the help. I have an 04 VLX with alot of weight up front.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-10-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
Peter, I would bring the throttle to halfway and turn to the right about 30-45*. slowly come off plane and feather it to keep water off the transome. Once planed out and in neutral, wait for the wave to pass and slowly turn left and idle to your rider. It takes about 20 seconds (give or take) for the wave to pass you, but your rider is pry trying to recover the board at this point, so no rush. If you come off plane and wait, you can't hurt anything by turning the other way.

However! if you surf while turning the boat slightly, you don't want to turn this direction! turn the other way.
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-10-2008, 11:22 AM Reply   
got it. so turn right and then left after wave passes to pick up rider. Thanks for the info
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-11-2008, 11:45 PM Reply   
When I have the boat loaded with full stock plus 1000#s or more (surf setup) it is tough not to dip the nose once or twice in a session.

I do as Nacho does, no sense in going back over my wave.

When you get this much weight in a boat they are sometimes unpredictable, when in doubt go slow, powering up to lift the nose doesn't always work.
Old     (pickles)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-12-2008, 1:55 AM Reply   
Guys i have done it once ever. And it was by accident when i first got a boat. It's definately all part of learning. But i can tell you now i have never done it again lol.
U learn quick smart how not to dip the bow.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-12-2008, 4:54 AM Reply   
the worst time was been my wake off a bulk head, turn around to pick up my rider. in gear not paying attention to the front. my rider starts pointing i look up and WOW!
Old     (guitsboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-12-2008, 10:46 AM Reply   
Original prostar 205 hull, 1500 Lbs ballast, 6 to 8 people on board, many of who are close to 200 Lbs or more. Im thinking of investing in a second or third bilge pump to keep up.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-12-2008, 10:53 AM Reply   
probably 3 or 4 times a season...but it's just a little bit of water (probably a gallon or less i estimate). heck, when i have 4500 lbs of ballast in it, it can happen if you just slow down to fast. i've only take 2 "big" dunks in the last two summers.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-12-2008, 12:36 PM Reply   
Some of you guys saying you have never dunked the bow must not ride with a lot of weight. My Malibu with stock ballast and a couple people in the bow will pretty much dunk the nose just coming to a stop. Any little roller will pretty much go over the nose.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-12-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
Rarely take water over the bow when boarding, but regularly do when surfing. More skillful driving on my part would avoid most of them, though when it's rough out there, some are still going to happen.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-12-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
I know the bow turns down for visibility but I would prefer less down-turn, a little flair or maybe lifting strakes would help.

The problem is not my own wakes or driving but the wet trips across big water and wakes off large boats.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-12-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
Uncle Jessie does it every time we take his boat out!! HAHAHAHAHA I'm serious too. lol
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-12-2008, 4:58 PM Reply   
I don't do it that often but my friends do. My bow is less then 12" out of the water even with no one in it practically. I have to be careful when weighted if I pull off the throttle to fast and some one is sitting in the bow I can dunk the nose right in from the wash hitting the back of the boat.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-12-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
Corby...get this bus off me!!! Yea, i used to be all anal about it, but since my boat has a leak and I can't keep it dry, I only half care now... We do ride the SAN loaded, with about 550lbs in the noise!

Corby, you'd do it more often to if your boat a bigger wake
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-13-2008, 7:59 PM Reply   
My buddy does it at least once every time he drives my boat. I try to tell how to avoid it but he's not a good listner. No big deal......untill he sinks it!
Old     (bigkitch)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-15-2008, 5:41 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AOltMu768&feature=related

i think he got a little crazy with the idea..
Old     (c_fizz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-15-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
haha ive seen that video before... still crazy though
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-16-2008, 8:36 PM Reply   
Never buried the front, closed bow. Buried the back, had to pull all the plugs and pump water out of the engine after that one... Not a good day. Had about 2-3000 pounds of ballast under the floor, unintentionally. Spotted the bilge pump going when I was the first rider in and thought it was weird but no one wanted to go back to the ramp and check, or I didn't make the point clearly enough, one of the 2...
Old     (bigkitch)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-17-2008, 5:34 AM Reply   
Jos,

What kind of setup are you runnin man? Closed bow with 3000 lbs max? Damn son, if i put my Mustang in your boat you would be good to go. haha
Old     (tversetti)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-17-2008, 7:19 AM Reply   
Jos -- there are certain things I know I will never forget, and the plug is definitely one of them.
glad you got her all fixed up.

its very nice being anal about certain things.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-17-2008, 11:36 AM Reply   
As I noted above my buddies do.

While I went and grabbed the truck on the weekend my friend dipped the nose of the boat because he didn't throttle up as a wake came by. He now owes me a new iPod as mine was on the floor at the time.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-17-2008, 12:28 PM Reply   
In my old Sanger DX I did it a couple of times, kinda unavoidable with that hull I think. New boat not once, actually i've not even come close to having water come over the bow.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-17-2008, 4:40 PM Reply   
I do it all the time in my 205DD, not on purpose of course. But when I'm running 2-3 people up front along with 500 pounds under the seats and in the walkway it's not very hard to do, even sitting still. when weighted I try to get the bow eye to touch the water when sitting still with no one in the boat, thats how I know I have enough weight up front.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-17-2008, 5:46 PM Reply   
Graham - Haha, and she's only 18 ft too. It's the kind of system where you leave the one of the hull plugs out and don't notice, then the space under the floor fills up. Usually only run around 600 up front plus crew.

Keith - Yeah that was my job, but I had just torn my foot open on something when I jumped off the boat while she was still on the trailer, so I was kinda distracted. Never again.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-17-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
The Enzo make a really nice and large surf wake. It's really hard to chili dip, even in the surf wake.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-18-2008, 6:42 AM Reply   
Chili dip? I like that one!

There's a lot of dipping being done but has anyone made an unrecoverable dip? Flame out and more waves a coming.
Old     (whirli_7)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-18-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
I have a Mastercraft stars & stripes. With weight in it I can dip it rather easy. I always tell people pulling me the proper way to come back to me after I fall. They never listen, pull a power turn, slow at the wrong time and bury the nose. Then get pissed when they get drenched. I consider it punishment for not listening
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-18-2008, 7:05 PM Reply   
The only major time we have done it was on july 24th, we have a fire-work show on are lake and are pontoon hit a roller with four people in front. Water went half way up the boat and atleast a foot deep.
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-18-2008, 7:06 PM Reply   
The only major time we have done it was on july 24th, we have a firework show on are lake and are pontoon hit a roller with four people in front. Water went half way up the boat and atleast a foot deep.