Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-30-2004, 2:06 PM Reply   
I may be wrong with this but it seems to me that the only time I see anything to do with wakeboarding is either right here or 10:00-11:00p.m. monday nights(Vortec Power Hour). Why can't this sport be more like football, baseball, nascar, ect...? you know, more SEEN!!! Plus looking at the PWT, there are only 5 stops-thats it-it's over till next year(basically)! I know this is sort of a new sport but I personally would rather watch wakeboarding all the time than some of these other sports. Do most of you agree?? I've been contemplating with this and it's sort of a drag.
Is wakeboarding in need of $$$$? or video-ographers(spl?)?What? I want to see wakeboarding on primetime, doesn't everyone else?
What can we do to see more?
I love this sport!!!!
Old    tigeboatsinc            03-30-2004, 7:32 PM Reply   
It doesn't matter what wakeboard fans want. For now, the majority of people see wakeboarding as a punk sport and don't want to have anything to do with it. Don't forget most of the public that owns and runs the world grew up as water skiers and we all know that the two do not mesh.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-31-2004, 7:48 AM Reply   
These things will take time,but it's going to,and already is happening.It will never be as big as those sports though.IMO.
Old    cws_kahuna            03-31-2004, 8:09 AM Reply   
Robert,

Football, Baseball and Nascar have been around for a very long time. There is a ton of money made in those sports, big time sponsers etc... Wakeboarding is still new. I think things are going pretty well so far. Last year at our learn to ride day, I could not believe how many people came out to try wakeboarding. All ages of people too, it was a great experience.

Wakeboarding has been shown on big time channels though through x games & gravity games. I have also seen it on programs such as bluetorch, 54321 & others.
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-31-2004, 8:22 AM Reply   
I would love to see wakeboard on TV all of the time as well. However, like the others have said, wakeboarding is relatively new, especially compared to those other sports. It will take time, but like skateboarding, BMX, and Moto Cross it will probably never be mainstream. For the average person, it is considered an "extreme" sport. Additionally, wakeboarding isn't as accessible to most people as those other sports. You can't just head down to your local school and start wakeboarding. These are the reasons why you will never see wakeboarding as a mainstream sport.

Jb
Old    murrayair            03-31-2004, 1:01 PM Reply   
I kinda like doing extreme sports for the exact reason that you all are talking about, because it isn't all that popular. Everyone plays basketball and baseball, but when I meet another wakeboarder, skateboarder, ect. it's really cool. I mean, I wakeboard first and foremost because it's fun, but being a part of a sport that isnt mainstream is cool for me. Besides, my lake is already crowded enough.