Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-22-2007, 1:49 PM Reply   

quote:

Staid Wimbledon ditches tradition: Women to get paid same as men

By KRYSTYNA RUDZKI, AP Sports Writer
February 22, 2007

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) -- Genteel and old-fashioned Wimbledon discarded one of its longest traditions -- unequal pay.

The All England Club yielded to 21st century realities Thursday, agreeing to pay women the same as men and falling in line with the other Grand Slam tournaments.

Six-time singles champion Billie Jean King, a pioneer for women's sports, said the decision was "a long time coming."

"With women and men paid on an equal scale, it demonstrates to the rest of the world that this is the right thing to do for the sport, the tournament and the world," she said.

The U.S. Open and Australian Open have paid equal prize money for years. The French Open paid the men's and women's champions the same for the first time last year, although the overall prize fund remained bigger for men.

Wimbledon will pay equal money from the first round through the final at the June 25-July 8 grass-court championships.

"I knew it was just a matter of time," defending Wimbledon champion Amelie Mauresmo said. "They resisted the longest they could. They have made the right decision and they really had no choice."

Wimbledon's prize fund will be announced in April. It will cost the club about $1.1 million to ensure equal pay, an increase funded through operating costs rather than a reduction in the overall purse.

"It's good news for all the women players, and recognizes their major contribution to Wimbledon and we also believe it will serve as a positive encouragement for women in sports," club chairman Tim Phillips said. "In short, good for tennis, good for women players and good for Wimbledon."

Wimbledon cited a combination of commercial, political and sporting factors for the decision.

"We think now is absolutely the right time to make this move," Phillips said. "We have a reputation both for the championships and for the All England Club and we have to look after that."

When Wimbledon started paying players in 1968, King won 37.5 percent of the check earned by men's champion Rod Laver. Last year, Mauresmo got $1.117 million -- 95.4 percent of the $1.170 million that Roger Federer received for winning the men's title.

The WTA Tour had lobbied for years to get Wimbledon to adopt equal pay.

"This is an historic and defining moment for women in the sport of tennis, and a significant step forward for the equality of women in our society," WTA Tour chief executive Larry Scott said.

The French Tennis Federation will discuss overall pay parity for the French Open on March 16.

The All England Club previously held out against equal prizes as a matter of principle. Phillips had cited that men play best-of-five set matches while the women play best of three. Also, some women can potentially make more money overall because they also play doubles, while the top men usually play only singles.

"I don't think that the amount of time that somebody spends on the court or the closeness of the matches is the pre-eminent factor in reaching a conclusion on this," club chief executive Ian Ritchie said. "We looked at the commercial factors very much in the past, as much as the political ones. We look at it on the whole."

Phillips said "broader social factors" played a part, noting that 55 percent of Wimbledon's spectators were women and the club will host the 2012 Olympic tennis tournament.

"The greatest tennis tournament in the world has reached an even greater height today," three-time champion Venus Williams said.

Updated on Thursday, Feb 22, 2007 3:48 pm EST

Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-22-2007, 2:09 PM Reply   
After the chick flick revolutionizes the womens side of wakeboarding?

YEP.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-22-2007, 2:10 PM Reply   
I would think that the pay for a sporting event would be based on the revenue the event generates through viewership, sponsorships, etc. I would not think it would be based on gender, so I don't really understand why this is such a great decision. Obviously, if they get the same crowds, TV viewers and sponsors for both the men's and women's tournaments, then pay should be equal. However, if one event brings in more money, then those participants should be paid more.

Even if it's something like gymnastics or ice skating (which I assume has the women bringing in more viewers and sponsorship than the men), then the men should be paid less than the women.

I think it's ridiculous to make the change because it's politically correct to do so. Not only does it not make any sense, but it could potentially hurt certain groups. For example, if they made a law tomorrow requiring that the women pro wakeboarders make the same prize money as the men, the result would most likely be the elimination of the women's event completely. That doesn't really help anybody.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-22-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
Nope
Old     (tonka)      Join Date: May 2006       02-22-2007, 2:20 PM Reply   
If women want to get paid like men, then they can compete against the men. Why stop at gender equality? Why not propose to pay the junior men's the same as the pros too? (rhetorical questions)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-22-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
And on the PGA, everybody that qualifies for an event, should get the same pay. Why should it be based on how good you are at golf? Sure more people watch the leading golfers, but that's just unfair to the guy who came in last!
Old    K.B.C.            02-22-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
Nope. I can see this with Tennis as women's tennis probably generates revenue close to that of the men. In other sports it will never happen as the men's side of the sport generates the vast majority of the revenue(like basketball).
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-22-2007, 2:50 PM Reply   
So are the women tennis players going to get play the men?

Actually, I would be much more inclined to watch the ladies play tennis than the men, so they should get paid more than the men
Old    kc700            02-22-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
1st heat.....Dallas vs Rusty........
Old    deltahoosier            02-22-2007, 4:26 PM Reply   
Step up the amount of sets for the girls to 5 like the guys instead of the 3 they play now.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-22-2007, 8:54 PM Reply   
David said it all
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-23-2007, 6:50 AM Reply   
I think having women at all stops will happen first than having the same prize money. Or has this happened already?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-23-2007, 7:12 AM Reply   
Women stops on the PWT are stops one (Atlanta) & five (Portland) but can also ride Wake Games, Nationals & Worlds in the US. Not sure about Canada. The girls are rippin hope to see them at all the stops in 08.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-23-2007, 8:39 AM Reply   
David pretty much covered it all.
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-23-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
Agreed kristian.

I guess recent TV ratings for the Williams sisters shows that the women can attract large audiences, but lets separate the womens and men's tour and see how they fair. I think you could make an arguement that a lot of the interest for women's tennis comes from the fact that they are linked with the men's tour at the majors. You know why you don't hear the same crap from the LPGA? Because they are on their own (and doing just fine, I might add.) Their $$$ aren't the same as the men, but you don't hear any of the bs Billie Jean King is throwing around.

I think we should all take a moment to reflect on the inherant discrimination and guilt that political correctness uses as it's whip . . .
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-23-2007, 11:11 AM Reply   
Who is the biggest name in tennis?

Maria, not Roger. Thats why their pay should be the same.

Im thinking we may be getting to the point that gender separation in sports isnt necessary, esp ones like wakeboarding that are jusdged so subjectively.
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-23-2007, 11:18 AM Reply   
just to chime in. When you guys are talking pay, I am assuming you are talking about Prize money right?

When it comes down to earnings, how big of an impact is prize money compared to endorsement money?

Who is to say that Dallas Friday isn't already making more money than some of the male pros?

-S
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-23-2007, 1:10 PM Reply   
I don't know if this apply's or relate's to Wakeboarding bit the way it used to be in Mountain bike racing entry fee's are devided into the prise money, SO the more people entered in your class the bigger the prise money for your class. It seems fair.

Example:
You have 100 Pro Men each paying $50 to enter = $5000.
Then you have 20 Pro women paying $50 each to enter= $1000

Question:
Is it fair that the women get payed the same amount pirse money as the men when the womans feild is much smaller and then mens or better yet Is it fair that the Mens prise money gets smaller so that they can pay the women more
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-24-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   
i may be wrong, but there is way more ppl competing in the men division, which makes the competition alot tougherm therefore more difficult to win. if there was the same amount of competition in both divisions, i would pay the same, but because the women dont have as much they shouldnt get paid as much