Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-17-2006, 8:26 PM Reply   
Is it safe to leave a little space heater in the motor compartment overnight for those not fortunate enough to be able to store indoors? Are there any precautions to take in doing so?
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-17-2006, 8:46 PM Reply   
A space heater in an enclosed compartment doesn't sound like a good idea to me. However, if you're looking for some piece of mind stop by a Napa Auto parts and pick up a magnetic engine block heater. I use one and they work great!! They get flippin Hot!! Keeps the engine plenty warm to prevent freezing. Other people will suggest putting a drop light in the engine compartment. That works well, but I would only do that if it was in a non heated garage. Outside? I wouldn't take the chance with that little heat.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-17-2006, 9:21 PM Reply   
You can also get an oil dipstick heater.
There are thermostatic plug-ins and switches to control most anything you want to use to heat.
If you use a space heater make sure: it is low wattage (you're not heating a house); it has a shut-off if it tips; and it has a thermostat that you can set low.
Old     (tuffenuff)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-17-2006, 9:26 PM Reply   
Lotz of fumes, lotz of flammable oils and residues inside an engine compartment. CAN YOU SAY"KAA-BOOOM"? A block warmer(like diesels use)maybe if it gets that cold in Santa Rosa (I don't believe so, but I live in the East bay). Put some antifreeze in the system (manifold plug or thermo housing), run it few minutes shut it down and open the drain petcock and drain. This will lubricate the internals, like the impeller and such.Bag the manifold plugs and things you pulled out and tape them to your engine compartment. Whem summer roles around, re-install all the plugs. If you have a plug left over, you have a problem LOL.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-18-2006, 10:42 AM Reply   
you marco i use a heat blanket set to a timer
Old    mendo247            12-18-2006, 11:01 AM Reply   
I have a friend who uses a drop light inside his compartment when it gets cold and he says it works great.. Its not gonna take much to keep it from freezing in an engine compartment.. check this thread out its gonna have to freeze hard for a few days before you have anything to worry about.. ive gone out in the middle of the night and found my engine compartment 10-15 degrees warmer than it is outside..but better safe than sorry..

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/392888.html?1165082454
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-18-2006, 2:56 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, i ended up getting a dipstick block heater. Yea Scott it does get that cold in Santa Rosa, at least this it is forecast into the 20's at night. I read the other thread and realize it probably won't be a problem, but a little peace of mind never hurt anyone with a $50K boat in the driveway.
Old     (tuffenuff)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-23-2006, 8:57 PM Reply   
Good choice Marco and a good looking boat to boot.If my wife wasn't kind enuff to let mine in the garage with her car, I would be doing the same thing. The following is some advise I found on another thread awhile ago. See if it helps you any.Have a great holiday and keep praying for the butter.
To prevent damage from freezing or corrosion from condensation, you
should drain the cooling system. (Persons with closed cooling systems
should check with their dealer for recommendations on draining verses
flushing and renewing anti-freeze for the heat exchange unit.) Remove the
drain plugs from both sides of the engine block and from the ends of the
exhaust manifolds. Although some of the plugs on engine blocks twist
open, it is best to remove them completely and keep them out during storage
to prevent accumulation of condensation.

Remove the hoses from the raw water pump and blow through them to
remove all water. Be sure that water in the transmission cooler is also
removed at this time. Lowering the trailer tongue will help water flow out of
the back of the engine. You may also want to remove the raw water pump
impeller to prevent it from taking a ``set'' during storage. (Be sure to coat it
with a light coat of oil when you re-install it in the spring; dry start-up will
destroy the impeller.)

Some manufactures also recommend that you remove the hose from the
engine circulation pump, and with the safety starting switch (if so equipped)
disconnected, crank the engine over for two or three seconds to remove any
water not previously drained. (If your boat is not equipped with a safety

disconnected, crank the engine over for two or three seconds to remove any
water not previously drained. (If your boat is not equipped with a safety
starting switch this procedure may by performed by disconnecting the high
tension lead wire between the distributer and the coil.)

Place all plugs, hoses, clamps and parts that you intend to leave out during
storage in a plastic bag and tie it to the steering wheel to insure that you'll
know where to find them in the spring and will not start the boat without
reinstalling them.