Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (xtremebordgurl)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-26-2007, 5:24 AM Reply   
Do you check it? Or do you rent form the area you are traveling to? In march I'm going to Orlando to work on my portfolio and I'm wondering how I should go about bringing all my photo gear, everything is compact for the most part except for light stands, is there a rental house in orlando? how do you guys travel with photo gear?
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-26-2007, 7:37 AM Reply   
http://pelican.com/home01.php
Old    mobster            02-26-2007, 7:51 AM Reply   
Tamrak cyberpack 6 you fit all your cam gear & carry it on the plane
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-26-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
Carry it on! I also have to carry an underwater housing and strobes, along with my life support for diving.

Check the light stands and stuff that you do not care as much about.

Many people use one of those Lowa type backpacks. They seem to work very well. Pelicans are great, but heavy and these days you have a weight restriction even on carry on.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-26-2007, 11:12 AM Reply   
The only problem I've ever had with traveling (and why I now use Pelican) was when I was seated next to an emergency exit and they made me check in my gear or get off the plane (non-refundable ticket)

I now use a pelican with 2 cameras, 3 lenses and a video camera and have never had a problem with weight restrictions.

(Message edited by CAskimmer on February 26, 2007)
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-26-2007, 12:27 PM Reply   
I concur with Peter. Check the big stuff.. Even then, get TSA locks for ALL your stuff including your carry on. I booked a connecting flight on a commuter plane without realizing it and they made everyone check their bags on the tarmac.... you never know and it's better to be safe.

I got my 1510 (FAA approved) from this place (good prices and fast shipping):
http://www.all-pelican-cases-4-less.com/detail_pelican_1510.html

I have the padded dividers so I can get a ton of my video gear in there.
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-27-2007, 8:43 AM Reply   
i forget what size pelican I have, but it holds 2 strobes, 2 bodies, a few lenses and my speedlight... fits in the overhead compartment and has wheels and a handle. Great way to travel. Plus you can carry your laptop bag too. (one carry on plus 1 personal item)

Plus Pelicans are waterproof so that's just an extra benefit.

-S
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-27-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
The 1510 Pelican is 15.9 pounds empty. For instance Aloha Airlines has a 20 lb carry on weight restriction. They are starting to check more and more. Overseas they are even stricter with only a 15 lb restriction. Like it or not, we have to abide by it. They are making people check their gear AND charging for it! Personally I am not up for checking over $6K in camera equipment, no matter what case it is in.

Many people will have someone else keep the carry ons out of sight, while they go up to the ticket counter and turn in their checked bags. It really is a becoming an issue these days.

Check the airline you are going to fly on, as some are more lax on carry on weight restrictions, and can be 40 lbs. Also never hurts to print it out and take with you, so they do not have to look it up. Really important if you are traveling with a trick ski aka wakeboard.

Edit: There are other methods to safely travel with video and photo equipment, that use a soft padded case. I meant Lowepro in my previous post, like this case. Photo Trekker AW II

(Message edited by Peter_C on February 27, 2007)
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-27-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
oh if you get Pelican, I highly recommend getting the cubed foam inserts for it. You can customize your layout in the case.

I haven't had to check my pelican, but if I did, I wouldn't worry that much on it. I would probably take the bodies out though.

-S
Old    kc700            02-27-2007, 4:37 PM Reply   
you can get pelicans on ebay for rediculous prices. You just need to know which size your looking for. Im pretty sure the pelican website lists measurements for all thier cases.
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-28-2007, 3:15 PM Reply   
Bess-

Rental House in Orlando: Central Florida Strobe Rental ( http://www.centralfloridastrobe.com/ ). Rented from them many times.

When I fly, all of the expensive stuff goes carry-on in a Think Tank Airport Security roller. I also used to check stuff in via Pelican case, but I don't do this much anymore. The reason is that with the 50lb weight limit...the Pelican weighs quite a bit to begin with. Can't bring much if the pelican weighs 20lbs... 30lbs to put inside isn't much! Often times I'll ship gear ahead of me via FedEx ground, and ship it back the same way. Saves dealing with it at the airport, and cheaper than excess baggage.

My carry-on weighs 48lbs...WAY over the airline limit. I've never had a problem, though, in the US about being questioned. However, traveling within Australia last fall I had problems on all of the domestic airlines there as it's a big deal there.

As far as flying on RJ's (regional jets) and prop planes, I do have to gate-check it... but I've never had a problem. I have gotten on to planes where all of the overheads have been full and I've been asked to check my bag. After telling the flight attendant the value of the contents, and asking for supplemental insurance if it has to be checked, they've found room onboard for me. I even held up the flight once because of it, but they kept it onboard. Supplemental insurance for checked bags is a big pain in the butt for the airline employees to set up, so they generally want to avoid it.

Never check anything that you can't do without when you get to your shoot... like for me, all of my cameras and lenses (unless I'm traveling with long tele's... 400mm or 600mm) stay with me at ALL times.

Best of luck!

(Message edited by isler on February 28, 2007)
Old     (xtremebordgurl)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-01-2007, 5:52 AM Reply   
thank you guys so much for all the feedback, this has been very helpful. I'll be in Orlando from March 17th-23rd so if anyone is looking for an assitant... . No on a serious note though for school we have an assignment to assist for two photographers by may. So if anyone is looking for some free help (all I need is a short letter saying how I performed) please let me know.

Also I'm hoping to work on my portfolio while I'm down there so if anyone knows anybody that would be willing to let me photograph them let me know.

Thanx again guys! You're the best!