Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       08-12-2005, 1:06 PM Reply   
Part of my installed ballast is in the open bow, and I would something cleaner looking than a steel hose clamp, and less likely to snag someone. I am using this to secure tubing over a barbed plastic fitting. I saw something that looked like a modified plastic cable tie, where you could ratchet it tighter. I'm not sure a standard cable tie is tight enough. Any ideas?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-12-2005, 1:34 PM Reply   
Use a standard large size plastic cable tie and pull it tight with needle nose pliers (roll the tie around the end of the pliers to give leverage), the cut the end of the tie flush with either a razor blade or a pair of flat edged dikes. It'll be plety strong enough and wont have any sharp edges.
Old    chris_hargis            08-12-2005, 7:55 PM Reply   
You can also use a soldering iron to melt the edges back some to get rid of the corners. I use cable ties on my old system for the same purpose and they worked fine.
Old     (retrofridge)      Join Date: May 2005       08-12-2005, 8:32 PM Reply   
Cut a small length of heat shrink that fits over your hose 2" diameter should do the trick. Get the kind with adhesive inside and use it over SS hose clamps.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-12-2005, 8:38 PM Reply   
You can get crimp-on hose clamps that are more-or-less permanent and do not have sharp edges. I think those would be the ultimate solution if you can find them.

Another idea might be to get some really big heat shrink tubing and cover the regular hose clamps.

Or...you could go down to your local marine store and buy some of that waterproof stretchy electrical tape stuff and use that to cover the clamps.

Also, if you can't find the crimp-on ones and you are using those sharp flimsy ones with holes in the bands, you could at least switch to some good hose clamps like these:

http://www.ultimategarage.com/abaprice.html

You might try a BMW dealer since I know they use this type of clamp (except with a little BMW stamp on it) when they don't use a crimp-on type.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-15-2005, 10:38 PM Reply   
Cut a small piece of the hose and stretch it over itself like a band. It might take a heat gun to get it to stretch over the fitting, hot water might work on vinyl tubing.
Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-16-2005, 7:39 AM Reply   
They make house fitting that plug in.

You need to be using a stiff plastic line for them to work.
We use them on the laser at work and have never had any leaks. We use them both for air and water lines up to 1” Sorry I don’t have a photo of the fitting we use, but I got this off the net to show what they look like.

Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-16-2005, 7:40 AM Reply   
The tube plugs into the fitting (on barbed fittings the tube goes on the outside)
This gives you a very clean look
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-16-2005, 8:54 AM Reply   
I wrapped the hose clamps for my additional ballast connections in a silicone stretch tape. It sticks to itself without glue so no tacky residue and it stretches to fit. End result looks pretty much like heat shrink.

Found it at Home Depot. Here is some more info on it: http://www.findtape.com/shop/product.aspx?id=160&cid=15
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       08-16-2005, 9:25 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the ideas. I am upgrading to a Pro X sac up front, so I want to re-do the fittings. I already have to soak the tubing in hot water to get it over the barbed fitting, so its fairly snug. I will try the heavy duty cable ties, but I'm going to soak them in hot water just before putting them on. That way they will stretch a little, then contract once in place.

I'm not familiar with heat shrink material or the silicone tape; will have to check it out.