Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (dluttr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-03-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
My son and I will be visiting the Florida Keys the first week of September. We will be staying in Marathon and are interested in wakeboarding while in the area.

Does anyone have any suggestions where to wakeboard and/or who to contact?
Old     (chuckd24)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-03-2009, 10:40 AM Reply   
Not sure who to contact but if you are going to be riding - stay on the bay side!! there are coves everywhere and in the early morning and late afternoons the water is usually butter. If you try to ride on the ocean side, chances are its going to be rough and probably not too fun to be wake boarding.
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-03-2009, 5:26 PM Reply   
I know of a place in Islamorada (about 50 min. drive east). Check out http://othersideboardsports.com

They may be able to hook you up with someone in Marathon.

2nd bay side vs ocean side everytime, but there may be a pass that's even better.

(Message edited by dcranium on August 03, 2009)
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-04-2009, 4:14 AM Reply   
Marathon is pretty far down, but if you spend any time around Key Largo - head to my families restaurant the Key Largo Conch House at mile marker 100.5 (stop by on your way down - its worth it). My brother Jon works there and he can hook you up on places to ride - or even give you a pull if hes not working.
There are plenty of places to ride throughout the Keys if you are bringing your boat.
Old     (vin)      Join Date: May 2007       08-04-2009, 7:27 AM Reply   
i will also be in the keys in sept, my parents have a house in key largo at mile marker 95.5 on the bay side.the bay side is the side to ride.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-04-2009, 8:05 AM Reply   
Ill be down there too, just not sure of the dates yet - probably 4th thru the 7th. We will be riding all thru that weekend in the Upper Keys area if anyone wants a pull.
Old     (wake2blake)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-04-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
i rode in the sub pens in key west once and it was pretty sick
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-04-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
Dont know about wakeboarding, but last time I was there we rented jet skis and went wave jumping! It was soooo much fun!
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-04-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
Ive always wanted to do that Blake - how did you guys arrange it?
Old     (vin)      Join Date: May 2007       08-04-2009, 5:59 PM Reply   
will not be there till sept 15, ted if your around then ill hit you up, i would like to get a pull for sure.good for gas,driving,cleaning.let me know
Old     (wake2blake)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-04-2009, 7:55 PM Reply   
got a friend that was stationed down there in the Navy
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-04-2009, 8:51 PM Reply   
kite boarding is gaining popularity there more than wakeboarding because of the wind on either ocean or bay sides. but we have been able to wakeboard many times in islamorada when the wind is right.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-05-2009, 10:49 AM Reply   
Still got that friend Blake??
Old     (shellyrn)      Join Date: May 2006       08-05-2009, 10:57 AM Reply   
My husband grew up on Marathon. He always talks about Sisters Creek (comes out by Sombrero beach) on the ocean side and a cove behind Crane Hammock on the Gulf side. Stop in at the bar at the Island Fish company and ask for Matt Lynch (bartender, grew up with my husband) he could probably give you some insight on good spots. Tell him Terry LeRoy sent you!