Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-29-2007, 7:58 PM Reply   
I have a chance to get a pretty good deal on one of these.
Has anyone used this camera? Would it be worth the purchase for sub $500 with a 18-70mm lense?

I've read to get 18 200mm lense. Is one with f3.5-6.3 adequate or does it need to be f2.8?
Old     (xtremebordgurl)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-30-2007, 4:31 AM Reply   
Sony makes good stuff, in fact in all of your pro and consumer nikon cameras (with the exception of the new D3), are all sony sensors. Virtually EVERY point and shoot camera on the market (including canon) are sony sensors. So they know what they are doing in that regard. Also, Sony actually has a pretty impressive line up of lenses and accessories, which will also continue to grow as they get a larger and larger piece of the photo market. You can defenitly confidently invest in Sony. Also a lot of their lenses are Zeiss approved which means HIGH quality. Sony is defenitly giving canon and nikon a run for their money. Here's a fun little story...

Before the D3 was announced we had the canon rep come in and he was saying how canon is the only camera company on the market that builds their own sensor, processor, etc. My co-worker Chris said, "well, Sony does too."
long pause.....
Canon rep "yea, but their not a real camera company"
chris "but they will be..."

Yesterday, the Nikon rep came in and admitted that the biggest threat to them wasn't canon, its Sony.

The only down side to investing in Sony is that they tend to be VERY proprietary, meaning frequently you will NOT find off brand accessories, but then I come back to, they have an impressive lineup of accessories. So what does that mean to you down the road? That when you do buy accessories you'll spend a little extra $$ because you'll have to buy sony and not promaster.

ALSO, because Minolta was absorbed by sony ALL your old Minolta lenses will work on the Alpha. So even if you don't have any, you can buy old used minolta glass and save a few pennies. Going back to what I said earlier, you can confidentally invest in Sony, they are only going to get bigger from here.
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-30-2007, 10:47 PM Reply   
sony will shoot themselves in the foot. they always do
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-05-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
Has anyone had any experience owning or even using one?

For the record, I hate sony because they are so proprietary, but I can pick one up cheap
Old     (epic_peachland)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-03-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
I have the A 100 and LOVE it. I had a rebel XT and I like the A 100 way more. I just got the body and use it with all my old Minolta lenses(tons are available used. It got a really good easy to use layout and takes great shots. I would def recomend it.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-08-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
I have the Minolta 7D extremely similar camera and love it.