Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (wesley_is_wake)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-05-2008, 11:15 PM Reply   
Last week, I was at Lake Shelbyville, a small lake in illinois here, and I couldn't believe all of the nice towboats the locals had. There were all kinds-Supras, moombas, nautiques, mastercrafts, I mean business! I'm runnin a 20 foot Regal I/O (no tower). I saw these guys in their nice boats all hangin out together and i wanted to go riding. So, i jumped in and was doin work. I was having my best set so far this year. These guys though, were so arrogant that they actually idled passed me when I was down and started throwin jokes about how shi**y my boat was! I couldn't believe it. Does anyone else deal with this? it's getting ridiculous around here.
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-05-2008, 11:24 PM Reply   
Wow thats messed up. I couldnt care less what boat you ride behind as long as your riding. Thats one reason why i started wakeskating more than wakeboarding cause it wasnt about the muscles, women, mom and dads boat or how up to the eyeballs you were in debt it was about riding for fun no matter what you used.
Old    alanp            06-05-2008, 11:30 PM Reply   
effin geeks dont sweat them. there are a ton of tool bags on my lake that are more interested in hanging out at the sandbar than riding. i personally dont understand why people are buying wake boats to just chill in but to each his own. i think there are some people like that on this board too. have fun and let your riding speak for itself and they will shut up.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-05-2008, 11:32 PM Reply   
i've never come across that. i know it sounds easier said than done but just ignore them. they prolly have "small-man" syndrome.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-05-2008, 11:34 PM Reply   

quote:

i personally dont understand why people are buying wake boats to just chill in

the same reason why some people buy crotch rockets, park at the curb w/ their neon lights on, drink espresso at the coffee shop as they watch people drive by to look at their fast rides.
Old     (wesley_is_wake)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-06-2008, 12:14 AM Reply   
Exactly! most of them were in one spot the whole day sitting there. some of them actually maned up and rode and were quite honestly super-amateurs. These guys obviously had more dollars than sense to be rollin in brand new wakeboats. Whatever.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-06-2008, 1:43 AM Reply   
So far this year, I've actually had more fun riding behind my jetski, doing ollies over stuff, and just spinning on the surface than I have behind a boat.

I'd love to have a boat, but when I ride behind one, I feel like I have to try something new or something, and wind up not having all that much fun, whereas I get out behind the jetski, do big ollies, and work on my board control, and it's been turning out to be really fun, even if I can't jump the wake behind one.

You can definitely do a lot of stuff to help your progression riding behind a jetski, since there is so much to the actual non wake stuff that influences how your riding looks to others in the boat.

I have the same type of people out on my lake here, and when I complained about it a while ago, I got a bunch of "Quit your whining" remarks. I finally found a buddy who is on the VT wakeboard club with me who has a SANTE, and well, it's a hell of a lot better than a deckboat (the only boat I get to ride behind).

Look, the main thing is that it doesn't matter what kind of boat (or no boat) you have as long as you're having fun. If they give you crap, either follow Joe's advice, or continue to lay down work and show them up. They'll probably trash talk you more, but deep down inside, it's hurtin them cause they're jealous they can't do what you're doing.
Old     (smknsmly)      Join Date: May 2007       06-06-2008, 1:45 AM Reply   
thats crazy man, no need to worry with a bunch of douches like that
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-06-2008, 3:55 AM Reply   
Wow. That's pretty terrible to hear you've had an experience like that. Please tell me these were some young, brat kids acting like this. If so, it's a good thing they're proud of their parents ability to open their wallet - what an accomplishment. If these folks were older I dont even know what to say, except that they must have a serious self-esteem issue. I've met nothing but friends (and some of my best ones) wakeboarding and hopefully that will never change. It's truly sad when I see all these threads talking about banning 'wakeboats' and towers/ballast and how there's a large pool of people out there with a misconception of what wakeboarding is all about. The last thing we need is negativity among each other when it seems like a large part of the other boaters are already doing their part to get rid of us.

And by the way - I rode behind a bass boat for about 5 years before I ever saw a set behind a boat with a tower/sacks. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. I was determined to progress, and without the handicap of a monster wake and a tower I had to learn proper edging, generating pop, etc. When I finally did get behind a 'wake boat' it was on like Donkey Kong. Keep it up man and you'll be better for it. You cant cheat an invert behind a bass boat, so your fundamentals will develop and give you a strong foundation.

I've always hated the idea of a more advanced rider talking down to others in the sport. Everyone at some point and time saw someone else do something and thought "Damn, I want to do that one day". This is even worse...
Old    walt            06-06-2008, 5:42 AM Reply   

quote:

i've never come across that. i know it sounds easier said than done but just ignore them. they prolly have "small-man" syndrome.

I agree. Don't let D-bags bring you down.

Ride on Wes !
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-06-2008, 5:46 AM Reply   
Def. not a good vibe going on at lake Shelbyville and haven't encountered anything that extreme. Yeah I have encountered lets just say, less than friendly types on wakeboats, but nothing where they went out of their way to bring another crew down for their set up. Like it or not this sport attracts our fair share of 'look at me' types that will hammer away at others.

Most people on here have seen the 'wood tower' posted on here several times and the dozens of posts to one up the last to ridicule that crew. Those threads have always bothered me and certainly add to an elitist perception.
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-06-2008, 6:23 AM Reply   
I was had the same situation few days ago but i was on the other end... I was not making fun of anyone but I was at the lake on Memorial Day and my family has a X-45 and the boat is AMAZING! So after a good session behind the boat... i got in cause it was just to rough and I sat down and was looking at all these people that were on these crappy boats! I was getting so mad because they were ruining the water for me!...so i started thinking in my head i would never ride behind something like that in my life... I had to stop myself when i noticed how HAPPY they were!! Then i thought about it and told myself that i needed to change my attitude about wakeboarding and that is about having fun and not what boat you are on. Realized i am a spoiled brat! haha. But changing my attitude in the past two weeks has totally helped my riding and I am loving it! sorry you had to go through that bro!
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-06-2008, 6:42 AM Reply   
They probably all bought their boats with Daddy's money too. That sucks man, sorry to hear that. Those are true wakeboard posers
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-06-2008, 7:05 AM Reply   
dood, you have no right coming onto our lake and bustin up our glass.

yeah, so we were sittin idle tanning out, pimpin our babes and having a few brews, but we were just getting ready for a sick wake set right after some toob sets....and here you come in your jacked I/O jumpin tha "wake" and slashin around like you own the place. WTH!?!?! who do you think you is? we's gonna have words next time out...and quit lookin at our ladies.

keep doin your thing, Wes, and forget about these guys. reminds me of the skit with Ben Stiller in the surf flick Taj Burrow's Fair Bits..."my beach"...LOLOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfJ_bb0Nw68&feature=related
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-06-2008, 7:09 AM Reply   
I have always had the attitude of "you can be the best pro on the tour, or its your first time out on a board. If you are a jerk, regardless of your background, you are still a jerk" I wont surround myself with those people at all. Sounds like you were just around people with too much attitude and not enought humility.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-06-2008, 7:26 AM Reply   
I think that is pretty sad. I love the sport so much that I am happy to see anybody ride regardless of how good they are, what setup they have, their bag of tricks, what boat they are riding behind, etc. Some of our best times on the water were years back behind I/O's and Sea Doo boats when we were learning the sport. I think the funny thing is that probably only one of the guys on the other boat was the actual boat owner, so unless the other guys had a nice towboat parked at their own dock, then their comments are pretty much invalid, which makes them even more pathetic. Or, as mentioned above, the boat was bought with somebody else's money. Keep the stoke and ride for yourself, you'll never go wrong with that.
Old     (intotheflats)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-06-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
wes,
i live in central illinoins too. i boat at mill creek park if you know where that is, but i've noticed a lot of those d-bags too. we have a pretty nice boat too, but we actually ride. i've been trying to meet some more people to ride with but everyone i see with a wakeboard boat just sits around and drinks in (not that thats bad ) but i would like to see them ride too
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-06-2008, 7:37 AM Reply   
Because of certain circumstances, I now take out a lot of randoms, with various abilities. It's becoming just as fun teaching others to just jump, or go for that grab, that I am having more fun just riding. Last night we were sharing a line with another boat, and the Dad on the boat was trying rolls. Our boat had a bit of a bigger wake, and I knew I could have him landing it within a couple tries. So with our rope still out I was headed over to see if he just wanted a couple pulls behind us, and I'd get him landing them, but just as we were pulling up, they took off....... maybe they knew I was also going to explain how powerturning was pointless..
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-06-2008, 7:39 AM Reply   
It's all rich Chi-town Lakers...... they're taking over Indiana too.
Old     (intotheflats)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-06-2008, 7:41 AM Reply   
its not that i don't mind beginners because i take out a lot of beginners, its the people that have no idea how to respect everyone else, but have a great boat
Old     (intotheflats)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-06-2008, 7:42 AM Reply   
By the way Wes, how do you like Shelbyville, I've been meaning to get up there but its about an hour and a half from me. I've heard its a tricky lake to boat on because some parts are so shallow.
Old    K.B.C.            06-06-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
That's lame, just keep riding and progressing. Before you know it you'll be riding better than them and that's all that really matters. I rode behind an I/O for years and years before I bought a wakeboat. Just keep at it, there is nothing wrong with an I/O. Have fun and ride, that's what it's all about.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-06-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
Smart guy Justin Houston! Pass that knowledge on.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-06-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
Those F.I.Bs........

Just do your thing & laugh because they spent $50000.00 on a swim raft.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-06-2008, 10:35 AM Reply   
man..... thats really weak of them... really weak....
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-06-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
Karma will catch up to them some day
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-06-2008, 12:02 PM Reply   
I hear stories like this but have never seen it in real life. Seriously, what kind of d-bag do you need to be to make fun of someones boat?

Putting your pride of financed toys is such a white-trash syndrome...........
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-06-2008, 12:56 PM Reply   
Poop in the water, and then throw it at them next time.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-06-2008, 9:23 PM Reply   
The Springfield parents gather on the Simpson lawn to discuss the plight
of their children.

Ned: OK, folks, look: I called the police captain in Shelbyville.
He says he hasn't seen our kids, but if they show up in the
morgue, he'll fax us.
Mr. Van H: Oh, man, I _hate_ those Shelbyville jerks.
Mrs. Van H: Honey, _I_ was born in Shelbyville.
Mr. Van H: And it tears me up inside!
Marge: This is my fault. I tried to teach Bart about town pride,
but the power of my words filled him with a sort of madness.
Homer: Now, Marge, you can't blame all of Bart's problems on your
one little speech. If anything turned him bad, it's that
time you let him wear a bathing suit instead of underwear.
_And_ let's not forget your little speech!
Marge: Isn't there anything we can do?
Homer: Yes there is! Come on, everybody, let's go into Shelbyville
and get those kids back ourselves. I got an RV we can use:
Flanderses!
Everyone: Yay! Let's do it. etc.
Flanders: Well, OK, but you know, just go a little bit easy on --
Homer: Pile in, everybody. No time to wipe your feet.
-- Wouldn't want to waste valuable seconds

I love Simpsons.

Wes~ Im sorry. I have a nice boat (I think)but my skill level,,,,well we wont go there. However I have made some awesome friends here on WW that have been nothing but golden to me and I have learned so much from them. Their skill level is godlike to me and they have nothing but the best attitude to help others out and give good tips wakeboarding lessons, driving tips, water courtesy, etc. Thats a shame, I wish everyone could have the positive experiences that I have had.
Old     (wesley_is_wake)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-06-2008, 10:21 PM Reply   
Billy,I like where you're going..

and Josh, I live like two hours away from Shelbyville and I'm 15 soo, I only go there when the family gets the weekend off. Shelbyville is a nice lake on weekdays and most nights one end of the lake is really shallow. It's the end of the opposite of the dam. Mile marker four is right in between the lake. there's a big cove you need to go to right by the marker that has a 4 on it. go around the corner and theres an island you an pull up to and hang out, or a long stretch of glass perfect fo riding, especially at night. It's my favorite lake that's two hours away from me

About those other guys that thought they owned the lake, karma will catch up to them.
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-06-2008, 10:50 PM Reply   
I hate people like that....... Thats such a bummer you had to deal with that. I've ( my parents ) have a Malibu, and I will admitt I like to puts around the lake every now and again, but I've never hoed on anyones boat, thats for sure.... And if I do see kids trying to ride behind their grandpas fishing boat, I'll offer them a pull, which their useually pretty stoked about. I guess some people just can't appreciate the sport? But thats ok, cuz those guys might give you a pull on some off hand chance some day
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-06-2008, 11:32 PM Reply   
keep smilin'.. half those guys can't even ride anyway.. amazing what a good FICO will buy some people these days.. be sure and drive a nice double up around these newbies next time they are all geared out, full of boat candy and broke down in the middle of the lake ------waiting for a tow..
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-07-2008, 7:13 PM Reply   
note: rambling only kind of pertains to the subject of this thread.

I started to feel bad about having a true wakeboat to ride behind (that's right, I consider the 2001 a true wakeboat, especially compared to what some people have to ride behind... not hatin', just sayin'...) and not being able to rip, but then I realized: someone can have a 60, 70, heck, 80k wakeboard boat and suck, but as long as they don't have an elitist attitude (this rambling also stems from watching caddyshack earlier) they are cool in my book.

rambling over.

(Message edited by pwningjr on June 07, 2008)
Old     (matt1808)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-07-2008, 8:53 PM Reply   
never had that problem there, really I don't see wake boats on that lake very often. Hopefully they wont be regulars at Shelbyville though.

We usually ride up by Wolf Creek also, but on weekdays it is usually calm enough that we ride across from Lone Point.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-09-2008, 5:44 AM Reply   
I watch the rider before the boat. Let your riding do the talking and don't sweat them. Anyone with skills and an ounce of class will give you the credit you deserve. It's you who deserves to do the laughing, but it wouldn't be worth it.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-09-2008, 9:38 PM Reply   
Wes,

I see you ride in East P... I'm out on the river all the time. Either in a white/orange MC X-15, Black X2, or an Orange/grey Moomba LSV. Can't offer a pull cause none of the boats are mine, but can tell you all of these boat owners are cool as hell and love to chat up other riders. If you see us out stop by and say hey. I know the guys with the Mastercrafts hit Shelbyville every now and then, but they most definitely wouldn't have been the ones talking crap.
Old     (wesley_is_wake)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-09-2008, 10:32 PM Reply   
^^Where are you usually at? I dont see much action in peoria. But then again, I'm out there on weekends when my dad has time to go out, seeing as how I'm only 15. If I had a choice, I'd go out on the weekdays/nights. just for some fun You should come down and watch the f2 boat races this weekend on the peoria riverfront. It'll be bangin. I'm going saturday and after the races I'll probly be wakeboarding by like Captain Ron's or somewhere close like that. maybe I'll see you there?