Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-22-2011, 8:05 PM Reply   
Just curious how many people have noticed being sick immediately after riding at cowtown cable park in Ft Worth? My girlfriend rode there just last week and got a really painful ear infection in both ears. Obviously we dont know for sure that it is from cowtown but she had not been wakeboarding in over a week and had not been in any other body of water. I have heard rumors about the water from the trinity being bad, does cowtown even use water from the trinity river? or do they use their own separate well?

thanks
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       07-22-2011, 9:49 PM Reply   
My buddy and I rode there for the Free For All, without any problems. I do believe they use the water from the Trinity, and I think I remember them saying it's been tested numerous times with good results... I vaguely remember them saying the test results were no different than Tin Top, which we ride on a regular basis without any sickness or ear infection.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       07-22-2011, 10:06 PM Reply   
Here's a couple clips from recent news articles...

Quote:
Cowtown Wakepark relies on Trinity River water, which is considered dirty enough that residents are discouraged from eating fish caught there. Fambrough’s pond is separated from the river by a valve system, so he too will get rain runoff. Aeration created by numerous wakeboarders constantly churning the water helps keep the pond fresh.

“The water is perfectly clean,” he said. “It’s been tested and rated for recreational swimming. We’re here to change the whole perception of the river.”
and...

Quote:
And the water? It’s the Trinity, don’t worry about it, Fambrough said in the article, which went on to paraphrase him, “bacteria levels are within the state standards for swimming, just [as] they are on the Brazos and Guadalupe rivers” and people splash and play and, um, stuff in those rivers every summer.

Yes, “bacteria levels do spike on the Trinity during floods and storms,” but the really wicked stuff flows downstream to Dallas. It’s cool."
I think the other article I referenced was another interview with Fambrough... LOL... He seems to be the only one saying it's okay. I guess anything is possible!
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       07-24-2011, 4:58 AM Reply   
I have been there weekly for the last month with no ill effects besides sore muscles.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-24-2011, 3:52 PM Reply   
Use alcohol (low % like 70 or whatever) or you can get some stuff called Auro-Dri that is at Kroger. You should always clean ears out after being in small bodies of water.