Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 01, 2004

Old    devastate            04-12-2004, 10:24 PM Reply   
Could skateboarding improve one's wakeboarding skills at all? because i can only get to the water once a week if i'm lucky but i want to keep practicing all week long, lol so yeah - does anyone else do this?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-12-2004, 10:32 PM Reply   
Helps your balance.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-12-2004, 11:21 PM Reply   
I skate and wakeboard. Lately I've been skating a lot more than wakeboarding. I've found that it does help to a point. Skating every other day if you can only ride a day or two a week sure helps. It helped with my edging. Although, after skating everyday for about two weeks, then going to the lake one day, my timing was all off.
Old    hoochieman89            04-13-2004, 1:14 PM Reply   
Just wor on 180's and stuff not flip tricks. Also dont do grinds cuz on a wakeboard you lean a littler further back.
Old    sk8joe01            04-13-2004, 1:42 PM Reply   
any sprot where you are moving and controling your balance in a very coordinated way will contribute. even thought they apear the simallar i don't think that skateboarding will directly improve your wakeboarding skills. the balance is very different because you are moving freely instead of being pulled, also the turning is very different. i dont' skatebard anymore, i inline skate and i think that balance helps just as much as skateboarding would.
the main point here is, nothing but wakeboarding will really help you get really good at wakeboarding. however lots of other things help- trampoline, skateboarding, skating, snowboarding,i would imagine even a pogo stick to some extent.
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-13-2004, 1:45 PM Reply   
ride switch on the skateboard, will help your switch riding on the wakeboard.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-13-2004, 1:48 PM Reply   
Riding switch on a wakeboard is much much easier than riding a skateboard switch. Learned that the other day when I tried an axle stall to fakie.
Old    xtremebordgurl            04-13-2004, 7:43 PM Reply   
I find wakeskating helps my wakeboarding A LOT, cause on the wakeskate you need to have pretty decent form or you fall on your face, carry that over to wakeboarding and its an incredible feeling. I know its a little off topic, but in terms of things other than wakeboarding, wakeskating defenitly helps.
Old    jetpilotrider03            04-13-2004, 7:45 PM Reply   
helps your style the most i think..all good riders in most board sports do more than just one....
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-13-2004, 8:04 PM Reply   
It will help your overall coordination but it won't directly help you. In some cases one can hurt the other. I have had a hard time learning grabs on a skateboard because the technique is completely different (Board not attached to your feet).

As what Nick said I think surfing, skateboarding, and snowboarding help your style. I know that surfing alone has significantly affected my wakeboarding style.
Old    wakejunkeygirl            04-14-2004, 6:39 AM Reply   
I am glad I found this thread..I just got a longboard skateboard for my birthday. Just to 'tool around' do some sidewalk surfin' and the guys at the surf shop said it would help with my carving skills.. I love it, but the wind down here has been crazy since the day I got it!!
we will see..its a good workout too!