Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-12-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
Hey, kinda a ridiculous question but . . .

Currently there is a debate at my local site about wearing boardshorts over your wetsuit. Stylin or not stylin, West coast v. east coast. Any thoughts?

http://www.dcwake.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,27/page,viewtopic/t,534

Old     (krit)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-12-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
Wear shorts over them. Just my opinion.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-12-2006, 10:12 AM Reply   
Stupid. Board shorts over the suit is for people who are embarrassed of their physique, as far as I am concerned. Who really wants more stuff on anyway?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2006, 10:12 AM Reply   
I'm about getting in the water and riding. Wouldn't even think to put boardshorts over a wetsuit.

Then again, I am 35 years old and don't worry about my physical appearance when riding.

Personally, I think the baggy drysuit takes care of this issue and is the preferable dress if you have to wear anything other than trunking it.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-12-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
shorts over wetsuit...and i'm 39. go figure.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-12-2006, 11:10 AM Reply   
Ha, ha, I've always thought shorts over the wet suit looked way better. Maybe because I'm a spindly twerp. Incidently my mom saw a pic of me from last weekend when I had shorts over my wetsuit and she laughed. She thought it looked goofy. I'm still of the mindset to wear a life jacket when I ride with a wetsuit and I think it looks rediculous to wear a lifejacket and nothing down below. Same as I think it looks goofy for a girl to ride in just bikini bottoms (hot, but goofy).
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-12-2006, 11:18 AM Reply   
I am all about the shorts. To me i have to always wear shorts when i get in the water. I don't think of a wetsuit as cover up. So I wear shorts.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2006, 11:25 AM Reply   
So do you wear boardshorts under the wetsuit and then a pair over? Like have an extra pair in the boat?

I will add that I think that it is a better look, the shorts over the wetsuit. I just would ever think to bring extra, or go commando underneath....

So again, if I have to wear a wetsuit(can only think of a couple of times I have), my thoughts are many other places, none of which are my look. Thinking about the cold water, the wrecks that will hurt in that cold water, my lack of skills....

If the water is 60 or over....I'm trunkin it!

(Message edited by Deuce on April 12, 2006)
Old    alanp            04-12-2006, 11:35 AM Reply   
im from the east coast and moved to the west coast about 4 years ago. east coast everyone wears shorts over wetsuit. out here ive only seen a couple of people wearing them over a wetsuit. ill always wear them over the wetsuit.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-12-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
wetsuit + no shorts = ridiculous looking
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-12-2006, 12:31 PM Reply   
Since surfing has been around longer than wakeboarding...let's turn to them.

Have you ever seen a surfer wearing board shorts over his wetsuit? Wouldn't you be a pretty big dork if you did that around the surfing locals?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-12-2006, 12:33 PM Reply   
since we're talking about shorts over wetsuit while wakeboarding, what people think about wearing shorts over wetsuit while surfing doesn't apply.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2006, 12:41 PM Reply   
Get on 'um Jarret!!!

So Joe....shorts under and over?

Old     (mr_incredible)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-12-2006, 12:41 PM Reply   
Jarret- that is true but they also dont have a life jacket on so it would look goofy to them, i think the shorts even out the look when u have a vest on.

personally i have never worn a wet suit(dry suit type of guy) but i dont think i would wear shorts number one cuz my vest is really thin so it wouldnt look good and 2 cuz i just wouldnt care, its winter no one is out there anyway but hey to each his(or her) own
Old     (melanie_g)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-12-2006, 12:42 PM Reply   
From a girl's point of view, I think guys should wear shorts over their wetsuit!!
Old     (board2death)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-12-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
Are we discussing fashion on a wakeboarding forum?
Who cares?
If you like it- DO IT
If you don't- DON"T
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2006, 12:45 PM Reply   
FABULOUTH!!!!
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-12-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
funny story,
we went to cali last year(i'm from utah) and we sported the shorts over the wet suits for the surfing, and yes we were the only ones and got some weird looks from the surfers. but who cares we had a heck of a time, but personally i think it looks better
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-12-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
if you saw a picture of wes in a wetsuit without shorts, you would always wear shorts
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-12-2006, 1:07 PM Reply   
I don't wear them over the suit...but then I have no concerns about looking like a naked Ken doll in one either.

Personally I like the idea of the drysuit too. I will have to do that for the end of the season this year.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-12-2006, 1:10 PM Reply   
Good comment Dude, I agree. I personally like to wear boardshorts under the wetsuit and pull the bottom of my shorts way down below my wetsuit to look super dorky, almost like frills. Gets some laughs and I don't need to impress anyone, just need to embarass my wife to be around me now and then.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-12-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
definitely shorts over the wetsuit, i cant believe this is even a issue with most people..

might as well have croakies on and gloves with a stretchy line as well with a pink Body Glove vest on
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-12-2006, 1:17 PM Reply   
I was going to dye a white a10 pink for my wife. But I was worried about it bleeding in somones boat.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-12-2006, 1:24 PM Reply   
I wear my favorite pair of cammo speedos over my suit. If it's really cold I'll put a tennis ball in there to make the unit look bigger.

Shorts and a suit are for.....people who like shorts and a suit.

Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-12-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
Shorts over the wetsuit - commando underneath. Board shorts bunch up in the wetsuit and is very uncomfortable.

This method also keeps very few people from borrowing your wetsuit. Most of all, I try to go from Drysuit to Rashguard & Boardshorts only.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-12-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
Hey EJ... Yup, comando under the suit. Way more comfortable.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-12-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
First off, never put a pair of boardshorts under a wetsuit. I think I tried that once in the 80's and it wasn't comfortable at all. Plus they get bunched up and it looks stupid. So boardshorts under a wetsuit is definitely a NO.

Boardshorts over the wetsuit while wakeboarding, I let it slide. I wouldn't do it but I think it does even out the look with the vest on.

Boardshorts over the wetsuit while surfing...your the biggest KOOK around. You would be laughed out of the lineup if you tried that anywhere. I have seen I guy do it here and you could definitely tell he was a tourist. I politely told him to lose the shorts so we could save a little harassment from others.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-12-2006, 2:36 PM Reply   
If you are able to wear shorts under your wetsuit then I feel sorry for your wife as you a have a very small peter. Commando is the only way to go, so much more comfortable. I gotta give my junk room to breathe, plus he likes to swim and I'm not one to disappoint. I have gone back and forth on the issue, usually depending on my amount of surf I've been hitting. I'm on the shorts phase now...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-12-2006, 2:40 PM Reply   
EJ, commando.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-12-2006, 2:49 PM Reply   
Bshorts over the wetsuit, Commando under the wet suit. But I really could give a shi# what others may think.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-12-2006, 3:08 PM Reply   
By the way, I don't like wetsuits. I always go from drysuit to the neoprene top and shorts.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-12-2006, 3:48 PM Reply   
I never have worn shorts over my wetsuite, I like feeling like I'm wearing nothing at all...nothing at all...nothing at all (simpsons reference)
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-12-2006, 6:10 PM Reply   
how about shorts over a dry suit?? hot or not?? some huge shorts and an orange life vest. yeah, baby. wut?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-12-2006, 6:40 PM Reply   
i have worn shorts over my wetsuit since the day i started wakeboarding in the winter. its deffinately a style issue for me. whether or not i actually do look good to you, i feel like i look good.hahahaha. when i lived in so-cal and surfed all the time i used to wear my shorts over my suit jus to piss the surfers off cuz most surfers think its gay.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-12-2006, 6:55 PM Reply   
I saw this thread, and I thought it was gonna be a serious question about riding style, then I get here and it's about this? I'd like my money back, please.
Old    ladot17            04-12-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
all's i gotta say is i'm sooo glad i'm a girl...no worries about any of this...but if you ask me what's hotter.... shorts over wetsuit.....
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-12-2006, 8:49 PM Reply   
If you don't wear shorts of your wetsuit... you're gay. Plain and simple. No one wants to see what happens when the neoprene contracts.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2006, 9:07 PM Reply   
I can't believe you guys keep talking about "even out the look." Some people have been watching too much Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.

And anodyne, check out the section in Skurf's Up with Scott Byerly and Greg Nelson riding Lake Tahoe. Fullsuits, no trunks. I'd like you to repeat your statement while clarifying that you are calling two of the top three most stylish wakeboarders of all time (third would be Harris) homosexual. These are the two guys who invented wakeboard style, and you are calling them gay. And don't be such a homophobe, anyway.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-12-2006, 9:16 PM Reply   
It wouldn't look so gay if we didn't have big bulky vests on. That's the different between wake and surf.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2006, 9:49 PM Reply   
Just havin fun, ya'll. How I wish I still had my neon blue and orange O'Neill shortie from 1983. I would show you posers some trunkless wetsuit style! I do still have my original neon yellow first-year-ever-invented O'Neill neoprene vest, and just as soon as I lose 20 pounds and squeeze back into it, I will be rocking Vics and Old River and blinding every sucka out there. Maybe with some neon Jams to "even out the look."
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2006, 10:22 PM Reply   
I see nothing wrong with shorts over the wet suit before I found drysuits. I put shorts over my wet suit the first time I used a wet suit.

On another note I have way more style than you all. I put board shorts and a wife beater over my drysuit now thats pure style.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2006, 10:41 PM Reply   
Pure style? I got Chris Garver to paint tattoos on a sleeve of my drysuit.
But then I had to get Deano Cook to do the other sleeve to balance out the look.
Old     (jwr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-12-2006, 11:03 PM Reply   
it is ok, as long as the wetsuit legs do not extend past the shorts
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2006, 11:37 PM Reply   
Doc, damn you prob paid twice as much then the drysuit cost for Garver to do your sleeve. Also doc make sure you ware a wife beater and ride up and do vics so we all can see them sleeves.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-12-2006, 11:37 PM Reply   
wetsuit w/ wetsuit legs that extend past the shorts = wetsuit

wetsuit w/ wetsuit legs that do not extend past the shorts = spring suit

Old     (freshtracks)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-12-2006, 11:56 PM Reply   
nuckledragger summed it up perfect.
i've been surfing in so cal for 15 yrs and the first time i saw shorts over a suit was a wakeboarder. i've never seen it in the surf. if you showed up with trunks over your suit where i surf, you would be hopped all day, catch no waves, and heckled out of the water. i can't even imagine what the boys from ventura would do to you...
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-13-2006, 2:06 AM Reply   
So what do the fashion people say about a suit over a suit?

Upload

How about a suit over a suit and a vest that is just a wee bit too small?

Upload

Hey they match. That's got to be cool.

When it comes down to it, are you having fun?

We sure are!

(Message edited by derby on April 13, 2006)

(Message edited by derby on April 13, 2006)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-13-2006, 2:06 AM Reply   
good thing we don't go out to ventura w/ our wakeboards.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-13-2006, 2:19 AM Reply   
By the way, I'd like to thank my nameless friend up there for his involuntary addition to this ridiculous thread.
Old     (xesstar)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-13-2006, 2:33 AM Reply   
Classic comments,
I have a crew of 5 that own our boat together 4 of us have grown up surfing since 10yrs old, one of us is a pure wakeboarder every time we are out on the boat there is a huge pi$$ take session out of our mate Rob who insists it's cool to have the boardshorts over the wetty even though he looks like a 80's gogo girl with tights on!
If you’re a surfer there is nothing that feels more wrong than putting boardshorts over your wetty.
I imagine it's like going clubbing in a skirt. Ha ha!!!
Old    rob_gogogirl            04-13-2006, 3:49 AM Reply   
There's just something about the feel of fabric flapping around my thighs that reminds me of the bars back in the Thai. Perhaps its the way the material gets all wet or the way the shorts inch closer to my crack on the pull up. Either way I feel so hot when I ride with my shorts over my rubber. It's just such a turn on. It also helps hide my small package so John and the other big boys don't laugh at me. xx
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-13-2006, 3:54 AM Reply   
damn, thanks for all the visuals, man.
Old     (xesstar)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-13-2006, 3:58 AM Reply   
Cheers rob I am glad you have exposed the real reasons for the shorts!! You sick man!! does this sugest that you won't be in your costume for the 1st ride of the year tonight??
Old    rob_gogogirl            04-13-2006, 4:04 AM Reply   
No shorts - just a skirt
Old     (xesstar)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-13-2006, 4:14 AM Reply   
!!
Old     (westcoastripper)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-13-2006, 6:22 AM Reply   
no shorts, cause extra weight when they get wet.
Old     (big_b)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-13-2006, 6:27 AM Reply   
definitely shorts
i always wear shorts over my wetsuit. my dad likes to give me a lot of crap about it though.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-13-2006, 7:05 AM Reply   
My 2 cents. If you are not wearing a shorty and you are putting shorts over a full wetsuit...wow, that would look pretty lame. Like the wrestlers wearing the sweatpants under their wrestling shorts back in the day. I really don't understand the full-wetty anyways. I have a drysuit, which is baggy, no shorts required and a shorty-wetsuit (springsuit, whatever). Wearing shorts with a shorty is not only acceptable but preferred. I don't want to see some ballerina in my boat, throw on the shorts and cover it up, unless you're a chick.

In reference to what Byerly and Nelson were doing in Skurf's up, please!!!! Sandal bindings were once cool too!

All-in-all it's all a matter of preference. But if you have a shorty, throw shorts over them and it looks like you are wearing a thick neonprene rash gaurd.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-13-2006, 7:09 AM Reply   
LMAO!!! DERBY IS FUNNY AS HELL!!! THE COMMENT ABOUT THE TENNIS BALL HAD ME ROLLING NOW THE PICTURES!!!!!

Hope Springs, that has to be the funniest (or most ridiculous) comment yet. So with your theory, I am gonna start a nudist wakeboard club....we will be at the cutting edge of light weight wakeboarding. Who's in?
-Nate
Old     (big_b)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-13-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
i'm in man
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-13-2006, 9:24 AM Reply   
Thank you Derby, now that's a look I approve of. And for those convinced that you have to have a certain "look" to wakeboard, this is exactly why this sport doesn't get respect-we don't deserve it if we are a bunch of primping girls.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-13-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
"It also helps hide my small package so John and the other big boys don't laugh at me."
=

"If you are not wearing a shorty and you are putting shorts over a full wetsuit...wow, that would look pretty lame... Wearing shorts with a shorty is not only acceptable but preferred."
=arbitrary double standard

"I don't want to see some ballerina in my boat, throw on the shorts and cover it up, unless you're a chick."
=Insecure in your sexuality, but don't worry, that's very normal in adolescence.

"this ridiculous thread"
=What are you talking about? This is very important stuff we're discussing!
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-13-2006, 10:25 AM Reply   
"wetsuit w/ wetsuit legs that extend past the shorts = wetsuit

wetsuit w/ wetsuit legs that do not extend past the shorts = spring suit"

Actually....a wetsuit w/legs that extend past the shorts is a "full" suit. A westuit w/legs that do not extend past the short is also known as a shorty.

Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       04-15-2006, 3:46 PM Reply   
I love my dry suit, more now than ever.
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       04-15-2006, 4:59 PM Reply   
I think wearing wetsuits and spring suits are as lame as they look. I think wearing shorts over them does not look good. I think either dry suit it or just boardshorts and rashguards. Just my liking though.