Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       07-30-2008, 6:06 PM Reply   
Well I just started wakeboarding and I am having a blast! (thank you all for the great board advice from a post last season).

Anyway I am slowly getting better. I have good board control in my dominate stance and I am working on my heelside wake jumps. (I am still pretty weak toeside) I have an I/O boat (Caravelle 192 Interceptor) and it makes about a foot and a half tall wake. I do not have a tower so the tow line is from the transom.
I am cutting out doing my progressive edge back in hitting the wake extending legs and getting only about 1 foot of air and landing well within the wakes (not making it to opposite wake).

Now my question is... Is it my setup or am I still doing something wrong? I am sure it is hard to know without seeing it, but do you guys who know what your doing get decent jumps off if you are ever stuck with an I/O boat and no tower setup..?

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated!
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-30-2008, 6:10 PM Reply   
I learned on an I/O with no tower. Main thing is to maintain your edge and line tension ALL THE WAY through the wake. If you release before you get to the wake, even a foot or two before, you kill most all your pop.

I don't know if you're doing already doing that or not, but hope it helps.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-30-2008, 7:54 PM Reply   
A couple of other questions we'll ask (video would help us critique better)

1. Are you using a non-stretch rope? If not, pick one up, I really noticed the difference when I switched.

2. What speed are you at? Make sure you are going, IMO, at least 21..and I would go faster than that.

3. What line length are you riding? I'm not a huge believer in running a short rope, but with your wake, knocking off a couple sections might help out.

4. Have you messed with your trim settings (assuming you have some). Try to make the wake 'clean' where you are cutting in to hit it. Adjust your speed and/or line length so the wake isn't all washed out when you hit it.

Best of luck...and work on switch as you are learning...you'll regret it if you don't.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-31-2008, 8:39 AM Reply   
Before I switched over to a tower and spectra I was still getting 3' behind my i/o with a similar set up and landing in the flats riding at 60' and 21-22 mph.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-31-2008, 8:50 AM Reply   
I ride an I/O with no tower and can get 4-5' pretty easily. Like Loren said get a non-stretch rope. For me the biggest thing was committing, to get any air behind my boat you have to stay on edge all the way through and not let up or else there's no pop. I ride about 24 mph at 65' on mine for reference.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-31-2008, 10:49 PM Reply   
I ride a I/o This is the problem I am having too. A couple of things that helped was finding a board that works with your I/o. One that makes you hold that edge. I love the way the faction holds a edge. You can always try a sac in the locker or more fat chicks. Most of the time fat chicks cost more to feed than gas lost with the ballast. Also with the low tow point remember to really get that handle low push it down.
Old     (linden_e)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-31-2008, 11:15 PM Reply   
haha right now, we're ridin behind a Outboard 90 hp Johnson, with a boat that barely puts out a wake (see profile picture) and i can easily get at least 2' on a bad jump. its all about keeping a progressive edge, and standing tall at the wake. i rode behind our friends I/O a couple weekends ago, and i could easily clear the wake with 3', on a choppy day. ya a non-stretch rope really helps too.
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-01-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   
I felt like when we put a tower it made a little difference in jump height, but edging into the wake and not trying to jump, but extending your knees at the wake, holding your edge helped the most. Then a non stretch rope adds to your line tension while edging. As far as wake shape, the trim up a bit ramps the wake.
Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       08-05-2008, 7:18 PM Reply   
Main thing is to maintain your edge and line tension ALL THE WAY through the wake

Working on that

1. Are you using a non-stretch rope? If not, pick one up, I really noticed the difference when I switched.

At Your suggestion I bought one this weekend!
Yes it helped! I was getting further and starting to land on top of the opposite wake,
Thanks for that tip!

2. What speed are you at? Make sure you are going, IMO, at least 21..and I would go faster than that.

Yeah.. speedo is clogged up.. feels like 20mph?
sigh

3. What line length are you riding? I'm not a huge believer in running a short rope, but with your wake, knocking off a couple sections might help out.

I set the new rope to 60 feet. Not sure what old rope was at.

Best of luck...and work on switch as you are learning...you'll regret it if you don't.

Oh man.. I just got competent in regular stance. I am not sure I will ever be doing super advanced stuff. I am 36 years old and have many many more reasons to avoid injuries than when I was 19.. :-(
My only real goal is to get some nice air, maybe grab the board or something and impress the "old" women in the boat! hehe. I don't really see flips and such in my future..
So still learn goofy foot??

Thank you all for the excellent input!
It sorta put the Kabash on my trying to convince the wife that I needed a 60k boat...

I will keep plugging away with the I/O for now!
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-05-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
"I don't really see flips and such in my future.."

After my friggin ripped tendon in the left bicep injury this past june,
I've finally crafted a belt that can hold a six pack comfortably....Now I'm takin up the Air Chair....Next SUMMER that is!
Old    jbpetty6203            08-06-2008, 6:33 AM Reply   
Davis, I feel your pain. I also am running a I/O, crownline 182. I have had a problem with my w2w heelsides. Just barely getting there or slamming down on the opposite wake. I have to tell you I got a ride from a guy that had a bryant running a monster tower and I was doing w2w no problem, and even making out into the flats on the first pull. I think maybe the tower kinda played with my mind a bit cause my buddy's said my edge was a lot better and i was extending when I should be. So who knows, anyway best of luck to you.