Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old    bross            05-20-2004, 1:35 PM Reply   
Are Bare wetsuits any good?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-20-2004, 8:10 PM Reply   
They are decent.

I sell Ocean Tec. IMO it is a better suit for the coin, but I am biased.

www.boarditup.com
Old    zanek            05-20-2004, 9:13 PM Reply   
Bare suits are "ok". But when I had it, by the end of the year it had stretched out. For the past 2 years I've used the Jobe C-4. It's really movable but nice, thik, and warm.
Old    bradey_132            05-21-2004, 11:12 AM Reply   
xcel wetsuits are the best wetsuits by far i think the seams are welded so barily any water gets in me and my bro ride for them and everybody in my family has bought one and love them
yesterday we went riding in 49 f water and the only thing that got cold was head and hands they

they are long sleeve and shorty legs and the most flexible wetsuits

www.xcelwetsuits.com
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-21-2004, 11:38 AM Reply   
You get what you pay for. If you get a good surf suit they will be the most flexible. Oneil has the reputation ( my favorite).

Ecel makes a good suit from what I've been told by people that own them.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-21-2004, 11:40 AM Reply   
I had some seam problems with my Bare shorty that took lots and lots of work to get them to stand behind their product. I won't buy one again. I like O'neil and Intensity.
Old    chubbydaddy1            05-21-2004, 1:37 PM Reply   
they are all made in the same factories ! Price price price !
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-21-2004, 1:43 PM Reply   
get an O'Neill Boost Dry Suit
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-24-2004, 6:26 AM Reply   
Chubby-

Actually there is quite a difference. I am a dealer and have the opportunity to sell virtually whatever I want. So I did a little research, here is what I found:

There is a wide difference in the neoprene and nylon bonded to the neoprene used between companies. Some of the neoprene has additives that make it less expensive to manufacture, but it makes it age faster and reduces flexability.

The cut of the suit has an enormous impact upon flexability and consequently durability. Wrong cut and you will have premature stretching and seam failure.

Most suits are mass produced in Asia. That is not necessarily bad, but most suit designers are there as well. Asians have a different body shape that us big, Dutch guys. Kidding aside, Asian sizing and cuts are different that the standard used in America and Europe. This works well from a production point of view becuase the sizes are smaller and you can make your roll of neoprene last longer. It does not work as well for those expecting to buy a particular size and having it be too tight - especially over the traps.

The "hand" of the neoprene has a lot to do with it. The better the "hand" the more comfortable the suit will be and the longer the suit will last.

Being a patriotic American, I also wanted an American made suit. Very few are left in America. Most are Thailand, China, or Singapore. I prefered to keep the money and jobs here, if possible.

Finally, there is the warranty issue. As a retailer, I don't want warranty issues. I wanted a manufacturer that stood behind their product without me having to spend hours on a suit that I only made a few buck on when I sold it. That is a sure-shot way to go bankrupt.

Now for the good news - I have a mfgr that makes it all work for me. It is not a "big name," but they produce over 2 million suits a year and have a very low warranty claim number. They are priced well - below most, but above Sam's Club.

That is why I sell Ocean Tec. Now if they would just market better, I would be able to sell more suits. It just proves you cannot have it all.

rider@boarditup.com