Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       06-26-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
Anyone hear about this?

"An 11-year-old girl remained in serious condition Monday following a boat accident Sunday along the Mokelumne River in Sacramento County.

The California Highway Patrol reported that the boat driver looked away for just a second to talk to a friend.

The boat, which was traveling at about 40 mph, accidentally crashed into a levee, went up the levee and slid about 166 feet before coming to rest on Brannan Island Road.

All seven people on the boat were ejected, including three children. The 11-year-old girl was flown to a hospital in Oakland.

The other six people on board suffered bumps, bruises and cuts, officials said."
Upload
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       06-26-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
I found another story about it on the Channel 10 website, this one has the video of the news story:

http://www.kxtv10.com/storyfull2.aspx?storyid=18376
Old     (addictedchick)      Join Date: Jan 2005       06-26-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
WOW,really they got lucky- with so many people ont he boat I am surprised more people didn't get seriously injured. Any word on how the little girl is doing now??
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       06-26-2006, 1:58 PM Reply   
Per Monica Diaz in the video: "CHP recommends not drinking alcohol while operating a boat"... they RECOMMEND???? Isn't it a LAW???

"All the adults in the boat were drinking including the driver but the CHP determined the driver was not under the influence at the time of the crash"... does that mean they all started drinking AFTER the crash or he was under the legal limit of .08 when he crashed?
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-26-2006, 2:13 PM Reply   
It means what it says. It's illegal to drive a boat if you are over .08, but it's not illegal to drink and drive.

We carry a breathalyzer on board along with the first aid kit. No guessing, and no driving drunk. When you've had a chance to repeatedly play with BAC, you learn how hard it is to recognize when you've crossed the limit. Most wouldn't guess they were over at .08, and certainly wouldn't think they would have trouble handling a boat.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-26-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   

quote:

We carry a breathalyzer on board...

Wow, I'm not sure how I feel about that. It's kinda like admitting you have a problem, but I am also really curious as to what .08 feels like on me, for future reference. How much is a breathalyzer, anyway?
Old    walt            06-26-2006, 2:28 PM Reply   
I think You can find them for under 100.00
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-26-2006, 2:32 PM Reply   
I can see the concern, but we just see it a little differently. Would you prefer to be on the water with a boat full of .12s who don't realize it, or .09s waiting it out? I don't think that being prepared or acting responsibly is any indication of a problem. Trust me, I do enough other stupid $^it to make the problem very clear!

For most people, .08 is pretty dull. My opinion here is consistent with the law...the average person could safely operate a boat just below the limit.

The breathalyzer came up after a strange situation. We were hanging out on the delta on our second round of beers but had a non-drinking rookie driver at the wheel. The sherrif was nearby and noticed rookie'ish driving and could see the owner giving directions. The sherrif got on the loudspeaker and said "SKIPPER, TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR VESSEL" and had us dock up nearby to check things out. During the conversation, they made their opinion known that if the owner was under the limit, they would rather see him at the wheel with a beer in his hand than a rookie driver having trouble.

http://www.breathalyzer.net/alcohawkpro.html
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-26-2006, 2:36 PM Reply   
That really makes a lot of sense.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-26-2006, 2:57 PM Reply   
My mom got all 4 of us kids a breathalizer for X-MAS in our stocking. I know I'm too old for that, but she does it any way. The point is, when you are at a party or something, it's good to be able to show other's, that they shouldn't be driving. Let them see they are over the limit.

I think she paid about $100 somewhere online. I know she got good ones, because there isn't a point in getting one that is not callibrated.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-26-2006, 3:10 PM Reply   
Be careful in assuming you are OK based on these devices. They are only used as a preliminary screening on the street by cops, and are not the device used for evidence in court. In fact, cops can not arrest you based solely on a PAS (preliminary alcohol screening) device. As far as being calibrated, the machine in police stations are calibrated more than they are used, which is a whole lot more then you guys do with DIY breathalizer.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool that you guys take DUI that seriously, just don't bank your future on a $100 device bought over the internet.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-26-2006, 3:22 PM Reply   
All good points. However, if I may play devils advocate for a minute.

"During the conversation, they made their opinion known that if the owner was under the limit, they would rather see him at the wheel with a beer in his hand than a rookie driver having trouble."

That was only one cop and he might be in the minority as far as this goes. All the other cops might not be so forgiving and if they felt so inclined to could arrest you. A DUI on the water is the same as in a car.

"In fact, cops can not arrest you based solely on a PAS (preliminary alcohol screening) device."

While the law might state that as true, it also gives the arresting officer descretion and probable cause.

Done playing devils advocate. I think it's a good idea to have at your home for party's and such. As well as on the boat. Some information is better than no information. If you have one it shows that you care enough about it to at least be somewhat informed. Kudos to you.