Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old     (crazy4two)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-18-2005, 11:43 AM Reply   
Hey there,

Just wondering if salt water is really that bad for my boat. I have a 2003 Centurian Hurricane and I live in the Seattle area. I am so tempted to take the boat out into the Puget Sound and explore some smooth water coves. But, I have heard so many people say that they would never do that.

I look at the thousand of boats that get launched in the sound every day and I am thinking that if they can do it then why can't I?

Anyway, any thoughts on this topic would be much appreciated.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-18-2005, 11:51 AM Reply   
Salt isn't that bad IF you are meticulous about your boat and make sure that you clean it out, flush it, and spray everything down (carpets/seats/tower mounts/etc with fresh water and then the electrical/motor stuff with a lube) you'll be fine. One thing that you need to be cautious of, though, is your trailer. If it's not galvanized or aluminum, you're done for, it'll be ruined after the first time you launch it. It may not show up for another 6 months, but it'll be because of the first time.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-18-2005, 11:57 AM Reply   
FWIW, and after having said all that, I'll never launch my boat in salt water and there's salt/brackish water EVERYWHERE around here that I'd LOVE to get into.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-18-2005, 12:01 PM Reply   
There is no doubt that salt water is worse than fresh. The salt speeds the corrosion / rust problems dramatically.

For an occasionaly trip to the salt water you should be fine. It is highly recommended that you wash down the trailer (and flush the brakes) as soon as possible after hauling the boat out. You should also flush the motor with fresh water and generally wash the entire boat to remove salt spray.

If you intend to operate in salt water on a regular basis then you should install a fresh water cooling system on your motor. This is sort of like the radiator in your car: the coolant that circulates through the engine is contained. Cooling water is pumped up from the lake/ocean, passes through a "heat exhanger" (same function as the radiator on your car) and then out the exhaust. I would expect it to cost under $1000 to convert the boat over.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-18-2005, 12:09 PM Reply   
stay away from salt. nothing good ever comes from it.
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-18-2005, 3:41 PM Reply   
salt affects boats in several ways. The main problem is that salt (like any substance in solution) will migrate from an area of high concentration to low concentration. So, by washing thoroughly with fresh water, it is possible to remove the vast majority of salt. However, when you try to wash salt water away, all you do is increasingly dilute it. It's almost impossible to remove the last vestiges of salt. Salt is hygroscopic (attracts moisture) so even with the smallest of residues, the material in which the salt is trapped stays damp. And what do you need for rust and corrosion (and most but not all forms of decay) to take place? Air (oxygen) and water. So, the presence of salt more or less guarantees the presence of water. So, over time, steel and alloy parts slowly corrode - especially where two different metals meet and an electrolytic cell is set up.

And it's not just metals that decay, stitching rots too so seats tend to fall apart over time. The vinyl is OK, just the bits that holds it all together decays.

The micro pores that exist in cast iron, of which most engine blocks and all manifolds are made of are susceptible. Cast iron is crystalline and hence contains lots of microscopic cracks and pores into which water (and the salt dissolved therein) penetrates.

When the insides walls of these cracks and pores corrode (as they inevitably do), the rust that forms is larger than the original metal so it begins to crack the surrounding part. The strength of the iron keeps everything in place to start with but as the effect it builds up, the pressure takes its toll and flakes of metal fall off and corrosion starts to become visible big time.

Having said all the above, the vast majority of boats are used in salt water and go on for years quite happily. However, their cosmetic and physical state after a year or two will always be far inferior to their fresh water-only cousins of the same age. And the gap gets bigger over time.

If you want to witness the increased effect of salt on iron/steel compared to fresh water, get two pieces of bare mild steel and some wet and dry paper. Abrade one with the wet and dry lubricated by tap water only. Abrade the other part in water into which you have added a generous squirt of washing up liquid. Let them both dry naturally and compare the finish. Washing liquids leave salt residues (that's why you shouldn't use them to wash your car) and this will be apparent on the surface you washed with the washing-up liquid.

And as stated earlier, rust is larger than the original metal from which it is made so internal block corrosion can lead to blocked water ways and hence overheating.

If you have no choice but to use your boat in salt water, just accept that you will incur more maintenance and your boat will deteriorate faster than if used in fresh water alone. Engine life will be shortened - let's say you'll get 10 years rather than 15 out of it. It won't wear out faster (pistons etc) but the manifolds and block will rot from the inside out. The externals will also rust in any area not really well protected with paint.

From personal experience I can say it's disappointing to see your pride and joy deteriorate significantly in front of your very eyes year by year despite your best efforts to keep it looking great.

But if I had no alternative but to use my boat in salt water (the sea?) I would swap mine for one with a suitable hull for use in those conditions and get on with it.

P.S. You can also add a closed cooling system to your engine (assuming it's an inboard) but typically these only protect the block. Raw water is still used to cool the manifolds. Replacing these after a while is relatively inexpensive and easy. It doesn't need a full engine replacement.

Quite obviously, closed cooling won't protect the upholstery and the rest of the boat!
Old     (roberto)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-18-2005, 4:48 PM Reply   
SALT, lime, Tequilla=muy bueno.

Salt, H20, $45K + boat=no bueno.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-18-2005, 5:20 PM Reply   
SALT, lime, Tequilla=muy bueno.

Salt, H20, $45K + boat=no bueno.

roberto, couldn't have said it any better! :-)
Old     (elo)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-18-2005, 8:04 PM Reply   
some friends of mine have mid 90 nautiques and they run them in salt water every once in a while...they said as soon as your done inthe salt water go to your fresh water and just sink the trailer to rinse it off and start the boat to run the salt water out of its system
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-18-2005, 8:28 PM Reply   
also it depends what you do for a living. if you are super rich, might as well play with your toy in the salt! just buy a new one when it gets trashed.

otherwise roberto is correct, well sort of correct, I do my tequila shots with no salt or lime.