Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-29-2005, 7:52 PM Reply   
Watch out for equipment thieves in the NE corner of Indiana, Lake James and connected lakes. Last week my extended family was at Pokagon State Park, a place my family has frequented as far back as 1939, the place almost feels like home. The park is situated on the shore of Lake James and is an awesome family resort, with a beach and dock space for guests with boats. My boats have been one of the central activities for our family reunions at Pokagon for the past 13 years. In the past I have frequently left inner tubes, boat covers and other gear laying out on the dock while we were out on my boat without incident. We got up at 5:00 AM to ride the butter last Sunday morning and found that both of my wake boards had been stolen from my boat. That evening we discovered that our waiter at the resort had lost two new wake boards, a bare foot pole and a bare foot rope to thieves.

If anyone sees a LF trip 143 with a ˝ inch tear on the top surface at one tip with Hyperlite bindings and a LF Evolution on ebay or some place I’d be interested to hear about it. The worst part was that I had attempted to fix my Double Up bindings but the fix was tearing in to my skin so I spent $200 on the Hyperlite replacements, I bought the bindings and never got a chance to ride them.

I guess I’ll look into adding a lock to my clamshell, what does everyone else do to protect gear from thieves?

Old     (gtaussie15)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-29-2005, 8:52 PM Reply   
My friend lets his pitbull sleep on the boat. Especially when we dock and go up to a restaurant, we bring the dog with us and leave him in the boat while we eat. He doesnt mind and usually sleeps.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-30-2005, 8:56 AM Reply   
Ed:
I also was out @ 5 last Sunday on James, to bad your gear got ripped because it was a really good morning. Was your boat docked in the 1st basin at the Inn or near the campgrounds on 3rd? Sorry to hear about your loss, I will keep an eye out in the area.
I usually take my stuff out of the boat.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-01-2005, 6:03 AM Reply   
Damn, that sucks. Having had stuff stolen out of my boats and trucks, etc....I take EVERYTHING out EVERY time I'm away from the boat.

BTW, pitbulls make lousy gaurd dogs as they LOVE people. But, it's certainly a deterent for a would be thief.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-01-2005, 9:43 AM Reply   
Karl,

We were staying at the resort inn, and I had my boat parked in one of the open docks at the inn.

Since my boards were gone we went out and rode my kneeboard, an old-old Skurfer, and a Broadcast 5.6. I got my daughter up on two skies also. She's been kneeboarding for quite awhile and started wakeboarding last year, it’s cool to see you kids ski. If you saw a bright red boat with a tower that was us.

Before I went up the hill Saturday evening I had a short friendly discussion with a couple in their 50s. They were jet skiing and asking about my boat and equipment. I got a weird vibe from them – I don’t know if they were involved but I should have followed by instinct and done something to better secure my gear.

Lake James and the connecting lakes are awesome I’ll just have to be more careful!

Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-01-2005, 10:00 AM Reply   
Ed:

After I posted I saw your profile with a picture of your boat. We shared the water Saturday morning over in front of the Christian Assembly on 1st basin. We were the footers close to shore in a Nautique. We usually foot on Snow Lake right out of the channel, but in a south wind Christian Assembly is one of the few good spots.
I worked at as a lifeguard at Pokagon many years in a previous life. If you come back, drop me a line and we will go for a ride.

Karl
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-01-2005, 12:18 PM Reply   
Let me know if you need replacement gear. I'll hook you up.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-01-2005, 3:47 PM Reply   
Karl,

Yup must have ridden past you - definitely saw a bare footer in the AM. The water by the island and the Christian assembly is the best when the wind kicks up, though Sunday was simply butter all over the lake.

The Pokagon is a once a year thing for us - maybe next year.

After buying a Broadcast 5.6, surf rope, and new bindings a couple of days earlier from “Ride The Wave”, I expected them to deal on two more boards but they didn’t step up so I just bought a LF Balance.

I haven't got a new board for the kids yet, but my wife is getting a bit P.O.ed with the boating costs. After my wife and check book cool down I might be in the market for a beginner board to replace the LF Evolution for the kids, for now they’ll have to ride my other gear or the LF Balance. I'll email you when I'm in the market.

I almost always ding a prop at Lake James - true to form I did it again. I used the weekend saver that I got from you, the harmonic tool works.