Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 06, 2004

Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       07-03-2004, 8:47 PM Reply   
i can land the w2w heelside jumbs but i dont seem to get much height, i want to be able to go straight up and down. I think im bending my knees a bit and absorbing the wake, if you agree whats the best way to stop this habbit, its hard to get rid of. also how can i level my board out, it seems to be nose high a lot.
im riding 21-22mph behind a 18' OB Sea Ray w/ pylon, no extra weight.
what am i doing wrong or not good enough, and how can i change this? thanks.
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=11096
Old     (flashalexb)      Join Date: May 2004       07-03-2004, 8:56 PM Reply   
What type of board are you riding? If you are aren't all ready you may want to get a 3-stage. You may be able to get more height if you try popping off the wake instead of edging straight through it. Also if you weigh your boat down and adjust the trim you will probably be able to create a steaper wake. To even your board out in the air trying doing tail grabs.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-03-2004, 9:04 PM Reply   
Yea, You are soaking up your knees up the wake. Try to pop at the top of the wake. I dont think you can get too much more air by doing this. Maybe a foot at the most, and then another 2ft if you bring the board all the way to your chest. But that isn't really getting more air, just making it look like it. 600lbs of weight would probably really help with your wake. A bigger wake is the only way to get more air. 600lbs will probably triple the wake size. Make sure you put about 250 up front and 350 in the back to even it out. Try double ups too. I have a friend who has a small wake but can get huge air off the double ups.
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-04-2004, 2:02 AM Reply   
Back to basics:

1. Edge through the wake (you speed up then stall and flatten your board befor you hit the wake, stay on edge all the way through the wake)

2. Keep that rope in tight to your hip

3. Stay tall off the wake and look at the boat and not where you are going.

Those are the basics I saw. It is hard off an IO because you have to travel so far to get wake to wake. The urge is to try and get as much speed as possible to actually make it all the way across. Try slowing things down and doing 1 wake tricks and go for height. It will help you get the basics down and when you go for wake 2 wake stuff you will have the height and technique to rip it up. You might try short ropN it from time to time and work on height and you basics, shorter rope makes it easier to get wake to wake and you only have to cut out a short distance to get what you want out of the wake. Hope that helps :-)
Old     (p_b_parks)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-04-2004, 8:40 AM Reply   
hey guys can u tell me if im doing any better i started my own post but no one answered so... check it out http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=10253
Old     (p_b_parks)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-04-2004, 8:42 AM Reply   
this is after four months of riding. shuld i go for inverts or 3's which is easier
thanx
Old     (p_b_parks)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-04-2004, 8:45 AM Reply   
and yes i saw a gas station blow up
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       07-04-2004, 10:42 AM Reply   
im riding an 03' prmier dna, recently upgraded from a 00' juvi. how can you get pop and push off the wake without comming off an edge? i find if i stand tall i come off an edge.
Old     (drewsmug)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-04-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
you absorb it way too much in your knees. my friend did a clinic with the pros. use the same technique as you would on a tramp. at the bottom you start to extent your leggs so that your knees are totally straight for the most pop. if you straighten you legs and find the right feel for you, i bet you can pop 2 more feet consistantly every time.

also you need to do what they said and keep cutting. your flattening out
Old    driver8            07-04-2004, 11:38 PM Reply   
It's plain to see. In every jump about a boards length from the wake you align the board with the plane of the water, coming off your edge.
Inorder to pop off the wake you have to lean on the rope and ride your edge completely through the wake. Your board builds up a lot of enrgy and is released when it comes off its edge.
In a couple jumps it looks like you lean pretty hard on the rope, now just ride it through the whole wake.
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-05-2004, 6:45 AM Reply   
ya how do you keep your legs straight and still hold your edge through the wake?
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       07-05-2004, 8:35 AM Reply   
so im not edging hard enough throught the whole wake, i think thats due to the fact that i am try to stand tall at the wake, should a just lock my knees and charge it?
Old     (p_b_parks)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-05-2004, 8:45 AM Reply   
no do a progressive load right up to the wake when you're on the wake stand tal, still on edge and the standing tall will pop you up
Old     (mrmoomoo000)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-05-2004, 12:01 PM Reply   
As far as your question about going for inverts or threes... I would say neither. Keep working on your air because if you try inverts with that kind of air you are definately gonna hurt yourself.}