Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old     (racko_1)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-19-2003, 9:40 AM Reply   
I'm looking into buying a new boat and have been reading a lot about the Cal-Air and was wondering what other people thought.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-19-2003, 9:50 AM Reply   
I have '01 Direct Drive Cal-Air and love it.

No issues with the boat at all. Puts out a good wake with the stock ballast and really nice vert wake with an additional 700# or so.

Only thing to watch is that the bow sits really low. Easy for rookie drivers to take water over the bow. I don't recommend it for really choppy water either due to the low bow.

Phaeton, your turn for the V Drive!
Old     (phil_deez)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-19-2003, 11:24 AM Reply   
I wish they would update their website already...I'd like to check them out.
Old    viabaja            11-19-2003, 12:13 PM Reply   
Ditto what Sean said. I have an '02 and have watch the bow!!
Old    wakeboardputz            11-19-2003, 2:00 PM Reply   
For the money, I like Calabria & MB. Both made in CA. Both great values.
Old    blindsiderider            11-19-2003, 6:13 PM Reply   
I have heard from some reliable sources that Calabria is having a little bit of $$ trouble. I know that there top seller last year has droped there line. we have a 00 and it is a great boat but if they are not going to be around or they sell out to someone else that might be an issue. That might also be why the website has been the same forever. But I like the boat. was thinking about going to an 04 pro V but not sure now. My next door neighbor is a calabria and Tiga dealer so I here a few things about both lines.

(Message edited by blindsiderider on November 19, 2003)
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-19-2003, 7:39 PM Reply   
Tony what you heard was incorrect. In fact Calabria has stepped up production because of increased sales.

The web site is another issue.
Old    blindsiderider            11-20-2003, 8:15 AM Reply   
how do you step up production in a factory that is so small. we drive by Calabria at least twice a week and they are not putting out anymore boats then they were in the past. In fact many times if a person didnt know better they would think that it is completly shut down.
Old    wakeboardputz            11-20-2003, 8:54 AM Reply   
Phaeton is right. I have a very good freind who is tight with Bob Jessen the owner of Calabria. They had their best year last year and they are stepping up production. They are also designing a new v-drive. Their ballast system is the best in the business and has a patent. Mastercraft is or will be using this system and paying Jessen a royalty. Don't worry- Buy the BOAT!
Old    calair03            11-20-2003, 9:34 AM Reply   
Sometimes people hear some crazy sh*t!
Old    calair03            11-20-2003, 9:35 AM Reply   
Tony,
Who was that top seller? I believe that Larson is their top seller and last I looked, they still had them.
Old    wakeboardputz            11-20-2003, 9:37 AM Reply   
Aaron is right- Call Larson Marine to get the skinny. They are in Sacramento or Stockman and they love the boat.
Old    blindsiderider            11-20-2003, 9:58 AM Reply   
Hey I am glad to hear it. Well then Bob needs to get on the marketing side of things still cant get any info on 04's but that is cool because we love our Calabria and want to get another. by the way I boughtt my boat from Bob and Kathy Larson and this time I will probably get it from Craig in Sac so I am very familiar with Larson Marine. I just posted info that we heard and I am glad to hear otherwise.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-20-2003, 10:14 AM Reply   
The V-Drive is the largest, most comfortable boat I've ever been in. From the back seat you have to yell at the driver, it's so far away. The Purevert(pervert/Michael Jackson) system is sweet. That and two Sacs and you are in big business. I'd recommend a different tower, their's have been lacking in the past.
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-20-2003, 2:03 PM Reply   
The Pro-V is definetly the roomiest 21 footer out there. That was a definite must have, as our previous boat (Prostar 190) was cramped with 5 people. The wake with the stock Purevert is good but when you add about 600# of extra ballast, it gets a lot bigger & solid. We really like ours & haven't found anything yet that we would rather have. From what I understand Calabria is coming out with a new V-Drive with new top deck & redesigned interior, so you might wanna wait for that. There's a lot of great wakeboarding boats on the market today (Re: Super Air, VLX, X2, X-Star, V210/V215, 22I) compared to 5 years ago. You should try them all before buying anything.
Old     (switch)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-21-2003, 2:58 PM Reply   
Tony, what you heard was incorrect! Calabria has really step-up the whole factory, everyone will be shock with this new v-drive witch is still nameless. They hired on a new production manger, who has help make the big 3. Everyone just wait Calabria is comming up big and strong. One thing you have to keep in mind is Calabria builds to order, they don't have boats under shrink wrap! So as soon as a truckload of boats are built thay are ship out. And all the boats are keep inside at night. Anyway just wait and see.
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-21-2003, 8:25 PM Reply   
Just bought my boat from Larson in Stockton. It's a 2004. I triple the comment about the bow! I've had some hard lessons about being swamped.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-21-2003, 9:13 PM Reply   
Tim it will get better with time. But it is still a pain. That was about my only complaint with my Cal-Air.
Old    calair03            11-21-2003, 11:50 PM Reply   
It took me a couple times with the bow as well. It isn't so bad when the boat is weighted though. I actuallly like the fact now that I can douche people in the front when I am in the need of a laugh.