Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (martinez30)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-11-2007, 8:37 PM Reply   
Hey there my esteemed WW Colleagues. I have a 7 year old daughter that is itchin' to start wakeboarding, and a 9 year old son who wants to wakeboard as well (maybe not as much as my daughter). Today I went to the boat shop and purchased them both a wakeboard. I was wondering if you all can help me out as far as how to start them off, and where. I know I probably should not let them learn on their own. Please help it would be stellar to watch them wakeboard, soon. So far I am thinking of pulling them around on the backyard lawn, or the beach. Thank you all in advance.
Old     (dcdman67)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-11-2007, 8:55 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/80252.html

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/174930.html

Try these threads. There is also a really good article in this months WBM(June) on page 117.
Old     (martinez30)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-11-2007, 9:14 PM Reply   
Debo, those threads are VERY helpful Thank you! especially the second thread. thank you much. any other advice is welcome.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-11-2007, 10:45 PM Reply   
I highly recommend a couple of lessions with a good coach. One who specializes in youth instruction. A bad expirence at that age could keep them off the water for awhile. Take it slow and keep it fun. Good luck
Old     (denwakebdr)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-12-2007, 5:44 AM Reply   
Joseph, My advice is to start them off shallow and just pull them up with you and someone else pulling on the rope. Also make sure the water is warm. If it is too cold, they will only try a few time and want to get out. You can also try to barely move and let then get used to getting up. Just be super encouraging. Good luck!
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-12-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
Lessons would be great, but if not, pull them out slowly. Theyre so light, they'll pop out in no time as long as they are strong enough to hold on. My sis got up when she was ten. Now she loves it. i practiced with her in the pool just pulling her up on my own. start her at one end and then pulling her so she could get some kind of feel
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-12-2007, 8:53 AM Reply   
If you have access to a barefoot boom that works good, their right next to the boat & not to far from mom & dad. That's how I taught my son, I think he was about 8.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-12-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
we had our girls start out on learner skis

when they could ride as long as they wanted, they got to try the wakeboard

2 tries and they both were up
that was last Memorial day

now they do surface 180's and are challenging me to see who gets an invert first

I love it

the skis also gave them something to shoot for
they wanted to wakeboard first, so I put the challenge to them

I was afraid that the falls on a wakeboard (face first) would scare them
the falls on a set of 2 skis that are connected are less traumatic
after a few falls, the fear went away
when boredom set in..ha...they moved on to the wakeboard
we don't even take skis out with us anymore
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-13-2007, 9:00 AM Reply   
I've found it easiest to get out in the water with the youngster and hold the board in place for them. I just talk them through it and try and guide the board out of the water. Once they learn to get the board on top of the water, then it's just about balance.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-13-2007, 2:17 PM Reply   
Barefoot Boom! Nothing succeeds like success. The boom can get them up the first time. They are stoked. It keeps them going. It will be the bst money spent on teaching your kids to board.
Old     (dnice)      Join Date: May 2006       05-14-2007, 6:15 AM Reply   
I got my son up when he was 4 and my daughter was 6. IF you have a good driver besides you and can get in the water with them it makes a world of difference. All they have to do is get planes out one time and they will want more!
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2007, 6:32 AM Reply   
start them in by strapping them into the board on land and pulling them up by hand with the rope. Look at the main page with the maven sessions. It shows a rider doing this method of pulling them up with the rope on shore. Anohter VERY important step that I do. is strap the board to their feet and put them in the water....face down in the water. Make them learn and know how to turn over from this position with a board strapped to their feet. I had a nephew tthat got up , boarder three times...loved it...had a wipe out. Ended face down in the water and did not know how to turn himself over. Scared the crap out of him. Luckily everyone was ok and I knew CPR...didn't have to use it. But I was prepeared. I think it is important for them to feel the size and weight of the board in the water. Just do this excercise and be right next to them to flip them over if they have troubles. Even good swimmers have problems with this flipping exercise.
Old    swass            05-14-2007, 7:21 AM Reply   
I think the key is patience. My oldest boy was itchin' to ride his new wakeboard all winter. We go out Saturday, strap him in, and...no. He was scared to get in the water with his board strapped to his feet. So, we pulled the board off and he went tubing. Later, he decided to try it again. Same thing. Hopefully, he'll get off the platform next time. lol.