Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-05-2005, 8:10 AM Reply   
I wanna run a three sets of component speaker off the same 2 channel amp. I know OHMS, and how to do this with subs. My amps will handle the load (Orion 225 HCCA - stable to 1/2 ohm stereo). Not sure how to wire this with the passive crossovers. The crosses are tuned to the resistance of the speaker load, so they won't work running the speakers in parallel, and the speakers don't have the second wire tab to do so either. Can I run one larger guage wire, then split off with a number of smaller ones to the component passive crossovers? Would this give me the drop in resistance(OHMS), or would it be just spliting the regular load. I need to get the amp under a 1 OHM to get the power I need. Hcca 225 is only 2X25 at 4 ohm, 2X100 at 1 OHM (atleast). I have three sets of HCCA components that run 2 ohm, so i'd combine all three to create a load of about .75 ohms, which would let this amp do it's magic.

If I can't make this work, I have other options. I have a few small two channel zapcos, another 225HCCa, an old school sounstream class a, and the 4 channel Clarion that everyone's boat comes with. I have always loved the HCCA, I'm using a 250 HCCA to pound the snot out of two 12's. I'd like to stick with them, make everything match in the boat
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-05-2005, 8:56 AM Reply   
Jeff,

Parallel Impedence: 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 ...
Series Impedence: Rt = R1 + R2 + R3 ...

Three sets of speakers wired in parallel yield 1.33 ohms. The crossovers will not significantly change the impedence so just pretend they are part of the speaker's impedence. Make sure you use on crossover to each speaker with passive crossovers. Don't go crazy with heavy speaker wire, the runs in boats are not long enough to warrant anything larger than #14 (even #16), big speaker wires are nice for show but they don't make much difference once you use a reasonably sized wire. Most boat manufacturers use adequately sized speaker wires for most systems.

"I need to get the amp under a 1 OHM to get the power I need. Hcca 225 is only 2X25 at 4 ohm, 2X100 at 1 OHM (atleast). I have three sets of HCCA components that run 2 ohm, so i'd combine all three to create a load of about .75 ohms, which would let this amp do it's magic."

Don't get wrapped around the axle on this, the amp will only produce so much power regardless of the impedence load you place on it. As you add speakers in series or parallel you will just start splitting the amps voltage or current between those speakers.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-05-2005, 2:02 PM Reply   
They are 2 ohm speakers, so I believe they will equal a resistance load of about .75 ohms (.67?), that's what I thought, but being you list your occupation as an electrical engineer you probably know a little more about this than me.

Crossover's on everything, and your right , no more than 14 wire. Thank's for your help Mike. I'll be back in the garage for the next couple days!