Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old    hawkbob            01-28-2004, 4:26 PM Reply   
I'm looking for a wakeboard boat and don't know a lot about the Moomba's. My buddy has a '00 X-Star and I love it. Now the tough part is do I buy a used X that I know is a killer boat and will hold it's value, or do I get a brand new Mob LSV w/ 0 hours on it?????? Seems like they're around the same price (give or take a couple grand).
Old    stormrider            01-28-2004, 4:42 PM Reply   
I have a used 02 Mobious LSV with 230 hours on it that I'll sell for around 25k, heater, tandem axle trailer, bimini, tonneau, fat sacks and other stuff.

I would like to get an X2, a VLX or a SAN.

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-28-2004, 4:43 PM Reply   
I'd get the X.
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-28-2004, 4:50 PM Reply   
X-star
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-28-2004, 4:55 PM Reply   
X-Star!!! The Mobius LSV is nice, but from a wake performance stand point... the X-Star is far superior... not taking anything away from the Moomba, but I have been in both and I found the Mobius LSV to be very sensitive to weight distribution and the amount of weight. The X-Star, load it up with ballast and friends and you have a PRO WAKE!
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-28-2004, 5:02 PM Reply   
Bob-
I'd take the Mobius LSV over the used X-star. Why? Well first of all, Moomba's Do hold their value contrary to what MC fans may tell you. I just valued my Moomba and it has decreased very little in value. Second, you get the warranties. And if you buy at the boat show you get 3 years on EVERYTHING! And there are other incentives they are giving away. Plus you get the Lifetime on the hull. If you buy used, you don't. I could be wrong on that with MC's but usually the Lifetime warranty goes with the original buyer and you have to pay the factory a chunk of change to get it transferred. And ALL the warranties have expired on the MC. Again, I could be wrong but check into it. Now given all those facts aside, the LSV is a great boat. It's alot of boat for the money. It has a new look. I don't know exactly when it was refreshed. You should definately ride in and behind before you make a decision. I think you'd be surprised.
My $.02
Old    stormrider            01-28-2004, 5:03 PM Reply   
Kyle, you hit it right on the head- and I own an LSV. The Moomba is inexpensive and great for begginer/early intermediate riding. That's just my opinion after riding behind a lot of different boats and putting 230+ hours on my LSV and all types of weight and weight configurations. Moombas are inexpensive, though. About 1/2 the price of a new X2. IOW, if not having a finely tuned wake isn't that important (and if you love to ride I guarantee that it will become important) then buy the LSV, and a stereo, and a new tow vehicle and all the gear you'll ever need for the price of a new X2 (I know you are looking used). That's the trade off.

Heck, don't buy a boat at all. Just mooch rides; pay your 7.50 for each pull and forget about the actual cost of probably around $50/hour (purchase, fuel, maintenance and boat depreciation for each hour) for the cost to operate the boat! The mooches do not know how good they have it.

Old    stormrider            01-28-2004, 5:08 PM Reply   
Kraig: Moomba's warranty is one of my other concerns. Moomba only warrants the boat, not the motor or the trailer. Remember the Moomba posts from last spring! If the motor has problems, you have to bring it to Indmar and their repair facility might be in another state. Dealer can sometimes help, but not always. Moomba central is helpful, but only in telling you the facts, and don't get me wrong I like Rick Tinker and Matt Brown-- they sent me free tickets to the Irvine Pro tour. I'm not dissing the company or the boat (I'm trying to sell mine!) MC and Nautique dealers handle all the warranty stuff on new boats, which doesn't apply here. IT translates into a lower price boat which is fine for many people.
Old     (squirt32)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-28-2004, 7:07 PM Reply   
The mastercrafts have an extended 5 year warrenty to a second owner, thats 2 more than moombas 3 year just to point that out.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-28-2004, 7:45 PM Reply   
X-Star hands down.. 5 yr transferable warranty and pro tour wake.. You cannot go wrong..
Old     (noneya)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-29-2004, 6:52 AM Reply   
Steve that is not true, my local Moomba dealer took care of some pretty major engine trouble for me under warranty last year.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-29-2004, 7:02 AM Reply   
Steven, Moomba DOES warranty their boat. lifetime for the hull, 3 year on engine. one year on everything else. If bought during boat show, its 3 years on EVERYTHING except the hull. I don't know where you got your info but your wrong. I'm a dealer.
Old    stormrider            01-29-2004, 9:35 AM Reply   
Hey, all: I received my information from Steve at Island Marine, the local Moomba dealer in Corona, and also from Matt Brown and Rick Tinker at Moomba. I have the e-mails in my archives.

Noneya: my post says the dealer can sometimes help. It depends on the dealer. My experience was this: brand new boat and the trailer torsion bar went out. Boatmate warrantied this. As a favor, the dealer did the repair work with Boatmate parts. The gauges started going haywire and the alternator went out: the dealer took care of this. The major problem was a leaking transmission: the dealer took a couple of shots at fixing this problem then said I had to take it to Indmar to get it fixed as Indmar warrantied the motor/transmission, etc not the dealer or Moomba. Matt Brown and the dealer both were helpful in coordinating things but they told me quite clearly it was Indmar's responsibility. In the end the problem was a misaligned shaft when the boat was delivered. Bruce at On the Edge in El Cajon, a MC dealer, solved the problem.

And just to keep this in perspective, it does not matter a whole lot so let's not get into an argument. Moomba's a good boat but it is not a MC, but then it's 1/2 the price. What I relate above is my experience. Noneya obviously had a different experience with a different dealer and Jon, can't argue with you since you are definitely in a place to know. I don't know, maybe I was getting a smoke and mirror show.