Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-17-2003, 10:07 PM Reply   
Harf makes it three in a row and Dallas continues her streak. Check it out at http://www.wakeworld.com/news/2003/xgames3.asp.
Old    chrisn            08-17-2003, 10:14 PM Reply   
dave,
what was up w/ the scoring on murray prelim run? i was late, but lloyd m. said two of the other riders that scored higher fell a lot etc. i didn't ask for details since he was waiting to for the verdict of shaun's protest.

(Message edited by chrisn on August 17, 2003)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-17-2003, 11:49 PM Reply   
Who knows? I was in Havasu! :-) Bill and Steve were representing WakeWorld this weekend, so maybe they can shed some light.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-18-2003, 12:21 AM Reply   
I thought Shaun rode really well. I was surprised he didn't advance like many others. Four judges, Patterson, Wolf, McGuckin, Grubb. The scoring is really tough to call. Hands down Harfs game was at another level today. His switch method 9 was picture perfect.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-18-2003, 3:15 PM Reply   
switch 9? are you talking about the 9 off the d/u? danny rides goofy so that was a regular 9, no?

my girlfriend and i also wondered what happened with shaun as his run definitely seemed good enough to get him in the finals.

i wondered if it was perhaps a case of darren shapiro syndrome - seems sometimes judges don't rate you as well if you're doing tricks they know you can do, even if those tricks are technically harder than what someone else may be doing. so for instance shaun may not have gotten as much credit for his blind judge because they know it's a trick he's had pretty much dialed for a long time. tho by that measure parks should fall victim to that too with his half-cab double.

of course in the end i know i can't really value composition/flow very well, something that may be more important to the judges.

i have to say, having never been to marine stadium that this was an excellent venue. great sight lines and a nice beach area. makes me want to ride there. anyone know what it's like during regular days?

i also wonder how judges rate/value switch tricks. i guess it depends on the rider. for instance apparently it's well known that although parks does switch hs fronts and fronts-to-revert, he can't do a regular hs front. shaun murray readily admits in dentention that he can only fronts switch. so i would assume that in that case doing a trick switch wouldn't count for much.

but i know for me - getting a switch trick is huge. the difficulty seems that much more elevated. perhaps this isn't as true for pros. but seeing parks throw a switch whirlybird practically blew my mind.

(Message edited by deepstructure on August 18, 2003)
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-18-2003, 3:24 PM Reply   
The judging process is pretty complicated. They don't just judge on the overall run, but rather one judge on wake tricks only, one on slider tricks, and 2 or 3 judges on run composition. Then the results for each portion are tabulated using some secret formula to come up with a score.

The judges for the X Games are the same as for the Pro Tour and they all have plenty of experience. I've been in the boat with them and seen how hard they work to make sure they are fair. In the end, it's still subjective.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-18-2003, 3:48 PM Reply   
there's video of harf's and dallas' runs on expn's site here:

http://expn.go.com/expn/summerx/2003/videoArchive?id=1574057#

although unfortunately they don't show the d/u's. and there is sound, but for some reason the sound for the clip is MUCH lower than the promo clip sound.

also the tv schedule for mens and womens wakeboarding:

Monday, August 18, 2003
Aggressive In-Line Vert Final, Downhill BMX, Wakeboard Men's Final 9 - 11 pm ET ESPN2

Tuesday, August 19, 2003
Men's & Women's Aggressive In-Line Park Final, Wakeboard Women's Final 5 - 6 pm ET ESPN

Old     (bigjessup)      Join Date: May 2002       08-18-2003, 4:50 PM Reply   
Ahhh the comemtator almost got Harfs run right, called a Moby Dick a KGB, but oh well it happens.