Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (reinle)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-27-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
the poll question asked if you have ever got into an argument with the boat driver due to poor driving skills. Personally, that is one of my biggest pet peeves with wakeboarding. What are some other things that just really crawls under your skin?

1. Slow/mellow turns with the boat driver
2. Kids jumping in the water to swim after every fall and every time we switch riders.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-27-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
I agree with your 2nd one completely Cory, my cousins do it every time and it takes them 10 minutes to get back in the boat.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-27-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
I know a guy who used to yell scream flail throw the handle for this... I wonder if he'll see this cause he'll know exactly who i'm talking about!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       09-27-2006, 1:35 PM Reply   
1. Power turns
2. Boat driver telling too many stories to passengers as boat continues to drift (SCOTT G.).
3. Slow long turns.
4. wake not dialed in.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-27-2006, 1:36 PM Reply   
any kind of bad boat driving.

Slow turns...not driving perfectly straight...over shooting the speed and waiting to settle....or just driving with the boat unevenly weighted

The other thing I hate is boat clutter.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-27-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
guys that pout in the bow of the boat because they had a crappy run.

just kidding bug!

there's really not much that get under my skin when i'm out on the boat.
Old     (riz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-27-2006, 1:57 PM Reply   
people that think they're badass and take amatuer competitions too seriously.

People that are only friends with you if you have a boat.

And people that take your riding more seriously than you, yourself do.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-27-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
Well, if it is your boat, then:

1) if it is your significant other driving, you should bite your tongue and wait for a quiet moment to discuss it quietly. Arguing with your SO in the boat is NOT a good idea.

2) If it was your kid, then don't argue, instruct!

3) if it was one of your crew, don't argue, get new crew!

If it isn't your boat, then don't argue. Bitching about your ride is a good way to not be invited back. Instead of arguing, just before you start your next ride request politely that the driver hold a straight line for as long as possible.

If the driver doesn't take the hind then either live with it or find another ride.

Bottom line, don't argue with the driver. Chill, relax, enjoy the day.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-27-2006, 2:24 PM Reply   
The straight line thing can always be a problem. When we have someone out that isn't part of the regular crew, we like to play the BOX game. Its fun . We see if we can drive in a box, with only 90 degree turns and long, straight lines. The winner gets a bacon sandwich.
(Our lake is really big, or else we'd play the line game)
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-27-2006, 2:31 PM Reply   
In no particular order (except for #1)

1) Wakeflakes - people who make plans to ride and then flake.

2) Inconsistent speed - Not from the regulars I ride with, but always when my relatives are driving for me. (and no I don't have PP)

3) Driving too far from shore - Especially when the winds are blowing hard. Pull me in the butter, not the chop.

4) Loud Blaring stereos - As a guest in someone's boat it's no fun to sit at the back of the boat with tower speakers roaring in your ears for 4 hours.

5) Other boaters pulling a rider way outside the line - Drives me nuts to be driving a nice line right off the shore and to have another boat pulling someone 100 yards out, sending their rollers at me. Share the line people!

6) Slow long turns - I'm old, I'm out of shape...and I'm exhausted by the time you finish that long wide ass turn!

7) Other boaters pulling up riders in front of me when I was underway first - Will it kill them to wait 45 seconds for me to pass by?
Old     (wakegenie)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-27-2006, 2:36 PM Reply   
People fishing off the docks and in the launch areas when you are trying to launch your boat.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-27-2006, 2:37 PM Reply   
Whiney B!tches....you are out there to have fun not complain.
Old     (bvdievent)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-27-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
freeloaders
Old     (nitro909)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-27-2006, 3:23 PM Reply   
My biggest is driving while having that slight turn, so you never get the wake quite right. My father in law does this, and then wonders why Im not jumping across the wake.
Going full throttle at the start, doing 30mph, then waiting till the boat planes to slow down, this is especially fun on a skate!

Not on the driver, but the thing I hate the most is the jet skiers doing donuts on the line Im gonna ride!
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-27-2006, 3:23 PM Reply   
people telling me the speed is not consistent and my driving sucks because of it. i have PP!!!!
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-27-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
People who think they don't need to touch the throttle or watch the speed just because the PerfectPass is on.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-27-2006, 3:56 PM Reply   
my biggest pet peeve is no matter how good things are some people will still find something to bitch about.
Old     (dreambig)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-27-2006, 3:56 PM Reply   
when your drifting toward the rocks and evryone is drunk in the water not showing any peep in their step to get back on the boat.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-27-2006, 3:56 PM Reply   
Whining and ungrateful women are mine. I now bring concrete shoes in case they get too outta line.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-27-2006, 4:01 PM Reply   
Not having fun...and I'm ALWAYS the one most guilty of it. I go out telling myself just to have fun, goof off a little bit, and progression will be so much easier. Then I fall once or twice or I can't get me pop dialed in just right, and I give up on the day and just do the same ol', same ol'. So lame, and I have no idea how to fix it.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-27-2006, 4:02 PM Reply   
damn Joe I can't believe you remember that. hahahah I think there is a pic of that some where.
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-27-2006, 4:06 PM Reply   
I agree with ben. man or woman. if you are going to get sh#@%y drunk and complain. you can swim back to the ramp for all i care. and yes i don pay attention to pp and throttle. you can only go so fast with pp on. you can go slower, like zero for the ungratefulls.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-27-2006, 4:08 PM Reply   
I will go with what Byrd said. "whiny b!tches"
Just go out and have fun. Quit being a bunch of whiners.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-27-2006, 4:17 PM Reply   
I concur. Although as I write that, I do have one, happened last weekend. This crew that just launched and is waiting to pick up the truck driver is blaring the stereo unbelievably loud. Lots of curse words and very profane. I had my folks with me, wife and my 3 year old son. There were maybe 4 or 5 other boats around as well as people on the dock and such. So to everyone that does this. Don't be a Jacka**. We can see you have a loud stereo and no we don't necessarily want to hear it. Wait until you get out on the water.
Old     (dreambig)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-27-2006, 4:17 PM Reply   
I also hate it when the drunk buns on my boat want me to stop so they can grind on eachother to "i wear my stunna glasses at night" so annoying.
Old     (hires_55)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-27-2006, 4:35 PM Reply   
I'm just happy to be on a boat 'cause I don't have one...therfore I don't in my opinion have the right to complain. If I don't have fun (which has never happened) I just wouldn't ride w/ them again.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-27-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
1.I hate people who show up late ,which i consider late is more then five minutes...

2.People being more then five minutes late and no call to let us know

3.no call no shows

4.No shows knowing there the only third even if they call pisses me off to no end..

5.idiots at the boat ramp who prepare their boat right on the ramp !

6.Powerturners,surfers, and tubers in the line..

7.People who pull their rider up right in front of us while i am pulling a rider in the same line ,forcing us to ride side by side them or stop .People wait for us to go by a good distance so we both can have a clean line !

ok i can go on for hoiurs so ill stop there..
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       09-27-2006, 5:41 PM Reply   
I know Bill..............don't pi## off the Billdo........nice to see you and Claudia last weekend.....
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-27-2006, 5:46 PM Reply   
People quick to mooch on other peoples boats, and slow to return the invite.
Old     (jay_j)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-27-2006, 5:48 PM Reply   
The CIE crew
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-27-2006, 11:51 PM Reply   
flakes, powerturns, tubers, inconsistent speed
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-28-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
people who come out and ride and then bail with out helping out or throwing down the $$$. Most people can't afford boats and they have no idea the costs involved.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       09-28-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
Richard, I'm with you on the tower speakers cranked issue. Living on a lake my entire life, I would like to say it is extremely disrespectful to anyone else on the water/shore. Riding in the back of the boat, it's just painful! Pump up before you ride, get the waterproof MP3 player if you need tunes that badly. If you're somewhere with no houses, other people and don't care about the people in the back of the boat, crank it up! But ... be respectful of the rest of the lake. Tower speakers are extremely directional, you can hear it like you're in the boat when they're aimed at you all the way across the lake
Old     (suthaforce)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-28-2006, 9:15 AM Reply   
1. tubers
2. posers that barely board and suck then go around telling everyone how great they are.
3. boat clutter
4. (this one takes the cake) getting tied up in party cove and having a late friend call and say im at your dock come pick me up
5. No bun
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-28-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
all the aforementioned whiny bitches, moochers, and drivers. people that bring enough gear to last them a whole weekend for a few hours on the water. No beer no gas $$ who leave half of their crap behind and expect you to keep up with it. wakeboards, jewelry, shades, whatever and they smash out early to light the grill and start dinner. so you can eat hot dogs. i don't need help cooking hot dogs
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-28-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
1. Ramp hogs
2. No shows
3. Loud stereos (mine or others)

That's about it. I guess the other stuff just doesn't bother me as much.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-28-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
No shows bug me more than anything. I cannot stand it when someone says "yeah, I'll be at the dock in like...30 minutes" then never returns any of your calls. Then, when you talk to them later, they ask you, "Why don't you ever call me to go boarding?" and they act all stoked about going later...

Well, lets see...I wasted 20 dollars getting my boat onto the lake, about 40 dollars filling the boat up, and about 2 hours just waiting for you, then I had to go in because we didn't have a third....why wouldn't I call you?

The only other thing that I hate more is when people get on my boat, then try to tell me what to do. Note that this is MUCH different than giving me advice, which I always appreciate. However, when people are telling me how to do tricks that they are not even CLOSE to, it kind of pisses me off...kind of like, "yeah, I can't do any of that, but here is what you are doing wrong." I wouldn't say that I even have a decent bag of stuff yet, but it still really bugs me.
Old    fishboatwakerider            09-28-2006, 10:23 AM Reply   
people complaining about ANYTHING on my boat, when I'm the ONLY one in my crew WITH a boat!!

If you got something to say... say it to your pillow or your biatch until you got another ride.

Especially if you didn't throw down on the gas.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-28-2006, 10:36 AM Reply   
people who bash on wakesurfers.
Old     (the_bug)      Join Date: May 2004       09-28-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
When I am getting a wakeskate lesson at Shasta on a perfect morning and some houseboat/jet ski wally tells us to slow down in the private cove (signs everywhere) that the wake school leased from the forest service.
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-28-2006, 10:57 AM Reply   
A bad day of wakeboarding is still better that a good day at work even if the wake isn't dialed in. However, I do hate Law Enforcement Officers interrupting a good run just to see if they can ticket me for something.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-28-2006, 11:26 AM Reply   
When people get in the boat with sand or mud on the bottom of there feet and just track it everywhere.
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-28-2006, 12:13 PM Reply   
Okay, I'll play. BAD WATER! That's it. I hate it when I get the boat ready the night before, stock the cooler, spend $150 at the gas pump for the truck and the boat, work my Axx off all day to get out early, pick the kids up after school and beat it out to the ramp only to get that first glimpse of the lake and see white caps and boats all over the place.

However, the last time that happened we launched anyway, drove up to the no ride area and tied off to a tree, put on some tunes, talked about weird shizz I never get to hear about at home and listened to music. Went back to the riding zone, found a tiny spot to ride, fell so much in the chop we all embarrassed ourselves in front of boatloads of other riders (smart enough to be watching and not riding I guess) and laughed so hard my side hurt. Got home late, ate frozen pizza, sat in the hot tub. What a life.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-28-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
Oh I've got another one, the guy on the waverunner going 10mph through the only butter spot on the lake, I think they do it on purpose too just to spite me, because they think it's their lake or something like that.
Old     (deltawakerider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-28-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
i wish i could hit my own double ups...
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-28-2006, 12:33 PM Reply   
Drivers:
Not keeping consistent speed.(wife KILLS me with this)
Not backing the prop a couple times when I'm done after a big fall. Nothing worse than to be slammed head to toe, seeing little white lights, hurting, barely hanging on to the board to keep your head above the water, and having to swim and grab a drifting boat!

Passengers:
If everyone BUT the driver is on the left side of the boat, and one wake is rolling over and one is flat.......MOVE...Stupids!

Tubers:
I tube once a year....but isn't the point of riding the tube to be thrown off?? Won't happen on glass much pal! Please go to the big rough.

Other than those three things...I am always STOKED to be out there!!!

Oh yeah....stereo haters.....I think I speak for every person on here that owns a boat with a nice system when I say...kick in some $ on my system and I'll be more than happy to let you have some control on the volume!
Old     (dfxr58)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-28-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
cory, leave it to you to start this thread! i think everyone has hit on everything i would complain about except one thing; i HATE it when our crew has just finished filling up the ballast and all the sacks and a kid wants to LEARN (not only learn, but teach themself) to slalom ski. and when we are surfing the same kid wants us to empty all of the ballast and put it all on the other side for them and then put it back for eveyone else when they are finished.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-28-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
bad drivers.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-28-2006, 12:53 PM Reply   
People who just learned to get up butting in with their "expert" advice into my instruction to the next beginner.

And yeah I hate the constant slow turns too.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-28-2006, 1:52 PM Reply   
My pet peeves are boat ramp hogs, and jetskiers that ignore no wake zones. It is kinda fun to yell "No wake, moron!", though.

I don't get that worked up about driving anymore unless it's really bad, or I try to give pointers to someone driving MY boat and they get pissy about it. I am comfortable with my skill level, and not really pushing my progression the last few years, so it doesn't really bother me if I don't get a perfect pull. I can still have fun and throw my little bag of tricks.

Oh yeah, one more PP - people that think they own the lake. I don't share your bad taste in music. I also have good driving etiquette, but I will surf or do whatever sport I choose on perfect butter conditions whenever I please.
Old     (riz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-28-2006, 1:57 PM Reply   
Look at what we've become...we're so spoiled that we get to complain about wakeboarding...it's awsome.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-28-2006, 1:58 PM Reply   
The stereo thing reminds me of the http://ridestealth.com/ campaign.
Old     (shepherd1000)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-28-2006, 2:00 PM Reply   
I agree that someone providing instructions shouldn't be interrupted--by either an expert or a beginner. But I have no problem receiving advice from someone less skilled than myself. I feel that I can learn from anyone. I'll examine anyone's advice/observation for accuracy, and if the shoe fits, I'll wear it.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-28-2006, 2:03 PM Reply   
most of these problems can be solved (or at least made entertaining) with a simple device...three man water ballon launcher.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-28-2006, 3:35 PM Reply   
Riders who constantly micro manage the wake and all people in the boat from 75 feet behind the boat.
Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-28-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
Yeah dtw! That for me too...
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-28-2006, 4:02 PM Reply   
dtw and Mike- GUILTY!
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-28-2006, 7:36 PM Reply   
Waiting for the line to get tight while the driver screws with the radio.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-28-2006, 7:56 PM Reply   
^^^^in 67 degree water^^^^

Not cold enough for the suit yet freezing.(it's like hurry the F*** UP!)
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-28-2006, 8:22 PM Reply   
DOES NOT BEING ABLE TO AFFORD MY OWN BOAT COUNT?
Old     (crs)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-28-2006, 8:43 PM Reply   
Not being able to find a third.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-28-2006, 8:45 PM Reply   
you live in norcal and have problems finding a 3rd???
Old     (crs)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-28-2006, 8:54 PM Reply   
I can usually find a crew, but there are those days. Especially during the cold month.
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-28-2006, 10:16 PM Reply   
-People that dont pitch in for gas or "forgot their wallet"
-I ride with a guy who will throw the handle if he misses a grab or something stupid we use alot of gas.
-When im driving a double up jet skiers are like yes he is making waves for us to jump, so lets go ruin it for them.
-10 yr old kids driving their rich parents jet skis around the lake.
-spectators that follow to close
-lake cops who get off by making sure all of my passengers are seated when the engine is running (that fat bastard)
-posers
-rich guys who go buy a brand new x star and pull tubers around all day
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-28-2006, 10:45 PM Reply   
Come on Big Ed, 67 degrees is not that cold.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-29-2006, 5:57 AM Reply   
No respect gators. The dam alligators keep biting people in my weekend boarding location. Soon my wifes going to figure out two of those events were right down the street from the house and it could effect my activities. I guess I that's two pet peeves.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-29-2006, 7:50 AM Reply   
Bad drivers!

When your pulling a driver don't chit chat with the passenger next to you causing a big slow turn to the left!

Don't turn around and look back at your rider while he's riding, you have a mirror!

Follow the buoy line close to shore. I don't need to ride the middle of the lake in chit water!

Don't screw with the radio while pulling someone!

Watch the rope, I don't need my arms yanked out of their socket as you come around to pick me up!

It's not like I have a driver that doesn't seem to understand this no matter how many times I ask or anything like that.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-29-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
You forgot......
Drivers that touch your perfect pass.
BAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAA!
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-29-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
Mine would be people that go off-roading getting to the swim step (211TE). I have a walk-through use it.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-29-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
People that wine on the water about anything.
Old    zcarnage            09-29-2006, 10:27 AM Reply   
crew teams. Each boat is over 50 feet. Now I have a 400 foot naval blockaid cutting straight through my line, and then a coach in an alumaweld yelling at us over her mega phone about traveling counter clockwise and curtesy.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-29-2006, 11:46 AM Reply   
Just do circles around them
Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       09-30-2006, 11:18 AM Reply   
People who use me for my boat!!
My buddy: Yo, we riding today??
Me: No, boat won't start, can we go on yours??
Buddy: Umm, Im going out to breakfast with family so I can't ride...
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-30-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
"Oh yeah....stereo haters.....I think I speak for every person on here that owns a boat with a nice system when I say...kick in some $ on my system and I'll be more than happy to let you have some control on the volume!"

Nice system is not neccesarily the same thing as loud system. Having a variety of speakers can get you significantly better sound than you'd get from say a pair of 6x9s. I personally love stereos but I'm not the biggest fan of expessing that love on the lake where sound carries very far. And I don't even mind overhearing the occasional stereo while I'm out there. What I have a problem with is hearing your stereo better than I could hear my own.

You can kiss my grits if you think I'll throw in any $ on your stereo system but I would be more than happy to refer you to the DNR who might have other ideas on fiscal compensation. I'm not out to ruin anyone's time out on the water but I sure as heck won't tolerate someone else trying to ruin mine.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-30-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
When riders (my son mostly) keeps waving his arms for me to turn around and go back where we just came from and I see in the mirror 3 wave runners 2 tube boats and a couple of wakeboard boats coming behind us & he gets all pissy because I won't turn around And Ramp Hogs.
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-30-2006, 1:02 PM Reply   
fishermen launching their boats
fishermen putting the boat back on the trailer
fishermen anchoring in the middle of the river
fishermen yelling at us for boarding by when they are the dumb ass in the middle of the river
tubing in the glass
men who don`t let their ladies do anything around the boat.
jet skiers
people who side tie on a busy dock
people who cant keep constant speed
Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-01-2006, 6:49 AM Reply   
Waiting at the friggin dock for someone cause theyve been dickin around all afternoon, and cause you told em to hurry they dont have time to pick up their own 6 pack.

That and jet skis doin donuts for an hour straight.

Hell, anything that wastes time that could be spent ridin or chillin.
Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-01-2006, 6:54 AM Reply   
Hey Zach
I feel your pain with those crew boats. I got the UAH crew dock right next to the ramp. Those schmucks are always screamin about the rollers when were at idle 50 feet away. Im gonna flip one as soon as possible. Lets see em catch me
Old     (reinle)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-01-2006, 10:12 AM Reply   
sorry guys... i dont want to be a whiny baby on this thread. I just wanted for people to see what can really agitate a rider, and try to think about how they conduct themselves on the lake. After reading this thread, i have already found a few things that i do wrong that i had never thought about before. Im trying to learn... not bitch.
Old     (jon_m)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-01-2006, 3:34 PM Reply   
wake scenesters, all name-dropping and throwing out industry terms on and off the water. yeah man, we're all really impressed.

also, "And people that take your riding more seriously than you, yourself do."

right on, riley.