Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-06-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
Anyone frequents Elsinore heard about this death?

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_10113650?nclick_check=1

Not sure how you can take steps to prevent this?
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-06-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
The link isn't working for me. What exactly happened?
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-06-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
link didnt work for me either..
Old     (pls_photography)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-06-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
Here is a PDF of the article. The Canyon Lake Wakeboard Club held a tournament there on Saturday, April 2nd. Lots of riders and kids in the water. Lets pray that everyone stays healthy.

application/pdfUpload
lake elsinore warning.pdf (28.7 k)
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-06-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
Weird, it worked for me.

Here's the article from the SJ Mercury News:

Elsinore boy's death from amoeba spurs warnings
The Associated Press
Article Launched: 08/06/2008 05:45:40 AM PDT

RIVERSIDE, Calif.—Health officials have issued warnings and guidelines for swimmers after the weekend death of a 9-year-old Lake Elsinore boy exposed to an amoeba that causes a rare and usually fatal brain infection.
The boy who died Saturday had been swimming in Lake Elsinore several times, and the amoeba is commonly found in similar warm freshwater lakes, but officials could not confirm where the child acquired the amoeba known as Naegleria fowleri, the Riverside County Department of Public Health announced Tuesday.

"The risk of infection is extremely low and is no different in Lake Elsinore than in any other warm-water lake," said county public health officer Eric Frykman.

The boy was the first ever confirmed case of the infection in Riverside County. Just 33 cases were reported nationwide between 1998 and 2007.

Officials did not release the boy's name.

The department recommended avoiding activities in fresh water when temperatures are high and water levels are low, avoiding stirring up sediment in shallow, warm water and avoiding water around hot springs and power plants.

Symptoms caused by the amoeba include fever, nausea, vomiting, stiff neck and headaches.
Old     (220_superstar)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-06-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
Here is the info http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_amoeba06.475cfbb.html
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-06-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
This was happening last summer a lot. This is the first confirmed Amoeba death this year that I've heard of.
Old     (ridinonair)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-06-2008, 9:46 AM Reply   
this stuff creeps me out- looks like I'm riding with nose plugs this weekend.....
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-06-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
Last summer a boy died in Havasu from amoeba. I believe it was the only west coast death from it last year. I remember reading that there are a few deaths a year in Florida. I also want to say that amoeba is a risk in stagnant water that is at least 80 degrees.

Maybe it was a blessing my boat broke down last weekend....
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-06-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
this is so sad. if this happened to my family i would simply lose it.

lets move the CLWC contest somewhere else. Ie Back water, or possibly lose lots of contestants

Someone tell Vandall to wear nose plugs next time he does a demo up there.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-06-2008, 3:59 PM Reply   
brain eating killer amoebas

my noseclip and goggles make more sense all the time.
Old     (jmv)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-06-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
Someone told me that they closed elsinore to wakeboarding. Can someone confirm this.
Old     (liv2brd)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-07-2008, 12:58 AM Reply   
I was out there Monday (2 days ago). I can't imagine why the lake would close because of that...it's probably in most all lakes. Very sad for the family of this kid.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-07-2008, 7:44 AM Reply   
Moving the Comp to CL wouldn't solve anything. CL is shallow too, and that's the problem with this Brain Eater. This is going to become more common too, and this is hardly an Elsinore issue. Warm water is the breeding ground, and you can get this killer in a lake, pond, or pool. Warm water is the problem, so if your riding in warmer climates with less than deep water, you too are at risk, because this is in every shallow warm water puddle/body of water.
This is no joke, there is NO cure. If you get water passed through you nose, it can attach to your brain, NO cure, just death. What price are willing to pay anymore? We're fine with great bodily harm, but certain death, that's a game changer.
Lake was open yesterday.
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       08-07-2008, 5:05 PM Reply   
This been a problem for many years (off and on). It happens mostly in July August and September when the water is warmest. But the odds are still pretty small. 7 or 8 deaths in a year (across the country) is the highest.

Here is some good info from Center For Disease Control -

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/naegleria/factsht_naegleria.htm
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-07-2008, 5:16 PM Reply   
When its your time... its YOUR time.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-07-2008, 6:07 PM Reply   
better chance of dying in the car on the way there....
Old     (escapade4k)      Join Date: May 2006       08-07-2008, 6:26 PM Reply   
The kids and I were at Elsinore on Monday. Everyone is still alive and we didn't die driving back up to NorCal either! We're just lucky, I guess
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-07-2008, 7:24 PM Reply   
Thanks for the link Lloyd. Very informative.
Old     (jmv)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-07-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
This is how I see it, if you ride in deeper water like the main lake you should be fine. But if you ride in shallow water like in the channel, then you're at risk. At least the lake is not crowded anymore.
I feel for the parents.