Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-21-2008, 9:13 PM Reply   
I am doing a semi automated ballast system and am looking for an electric or cable accuated gate valve. I am looking for a 2" and can only seem to find some on americangranby.com. They have handles on them but I think I could make them into a cable type assembly. What did all of you go with that did something simular. I have decided on the tsunomi 1200's, one to fill one to drain with a scoop and a ball valve before the manifold.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-21-2008, 9:38 PM Reply   
I used an tv waste gate. Do a search on here for my setup. It's controlled electonically with a switch, but I automated mine
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-21-2008, 9:39 PM Reply   
Damn type correction. It's an rv east gate valve
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-22-2008, 12:03 AM Reply   
try ebay and look under "Asco red hat valves" that might be what your looking for, they are automated gate valves for water, gas etc. different versions obviously works for different things and they arnt that expensive. hope that is what you are looking for.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-22-2008, 5:30 AM Reply   
This is what most people are using for the main intake:
http://www.phasefourindustries.com/staticpages/index.php/dm_cart
http://www.campingworld.com/search/index.cfm?keywords=drainmaster&action=search&tcode =11
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-22-2008, 5:49 AM Reply   
why not just model it after the supra ballast sytem, use sprinkler valves, just get the bigger ones b/c of the tsunami pumps yoru using?
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-22-2008, 6:23 PM Reply   
Trace I've seen the threads on your ballast system and like what you have done. The only thing with the system I have in mind is wanting 4 1200's to run it. I have been looking for a 2" scoop but can't seem to find one, but I can get a 2" mushroom head and put the scoop on to it. I don't think a 1 1/2" scoop would be big enough.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-22-2008, 6:34 PM Reply   
Thanks. I have a 1 1/2" scoop feeding 4 T-1200 fill pumps, and it seems to work fine. It takes about 6 min to fill 3 750's and a 600.

If you really want one, there's one on pg 10 here: http://www.marinehardware.com/downloads/import.pdf
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-22-2008, 8:43 PM Reply   
If you say 1 1/2" scoop is fine that's what I'm going to get. Do you fill under way with that time or is that sitting still? Thats pretty fast, and do you have any problems with air getting in the system when under way?
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-22-2008, 8:47 PM Reply   
Also what check valves did you use and do you remember the name of your thread and the one that was running about five or so months ago. I did a couple searches and came up with some good threads but not the ones I wanted to see.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-23-2008, 7:36 AM Reply   
I will say that I do think that using a 2" will give faster fill times when not on plane, but that also makes for really big shutoff valve / hose / fittings / manifold. You're usually pretty limited on space where the manifold goes. 6 min is the fastest mine will fill, and that's while on plane. It's also pretty close to the rating for the pumps - 1200 gph would theoretically fill a 750 in just under 5 min with no restrictions or head loss. If I'm just idling around, it takes closer to 10 min because the sacks don't all fill at the same rate - the sacks with the most restriction fill more slowly, most likely because the other pumps are pulling a larger share of the intake water. When you're on plane with a scupper, you have positive pressure and plenty of flow in the manifold. For me, though, even 15 min to fill is totally acceptable.

No idea on the thread. I post on a lot of ballast threads.

I used 1" PVC swing check valves. I recently ordered a couple more (to replace the 1 brass one I used originally, and 1 for a spare), and the only place I could find them is here: http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/199393/product.web

plumbingsupply.com used to carry the threaded ones, but only has the slip connection type now.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-23-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
Here is a threaded one that is also see-through.

http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalog/product_info.php?language=en&currency=USD&products _id=4819

Pretty good price too.