Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-15-2005, 3:55 PM Reply   
Towing back from Laughlin this past weekend I pulled into the Dagget rest area to take a short break. I noticed that the swivel between the two leaf springs on the right side of the trailer was offset, leaning up against the trailer frame. We took it slow and limped home where I found this. I've never hit anything hard with the trailer although the I-40 to Needles isn't the best road, so this could have been caused by fatigue. I've picked up 4 new leafs and hardware and will replace them this weekend.
All of you out there with mono-leaf springs you might want to check them.
Ouch!

Thank God that baby didn't let go!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-15-2005, 4:21 PM Reply   
I almost posted this exact same thing. one of my leaf springs busted over the weekend. must have happened on the back roads into Naci sometime. we never noticed it until we were pulling the boat out. some friends of mine up there were able to fabricate a new piece, and welded it together. got us home, and now it is in the shop getting a new one. I wish I had pictures of mine to show. it was ugly!
glad to hear you were able to get home ok.
Old     (wakespecialty)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-15-2005, 7:33 PM Reply   
I once towed a Malibu Flightcraft for a customer for whom I was installing a tower. I crossed over a set of railroad tracks and one of the leaf springs broke on a single axle trailer. The damn wheel cover buckled into the tire and sent a sharp crease right into the side of the hull. + $300 for the install, -$200 towing, - $1200 for trailer and hull repair. Nice catch, you got off cheap!

Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-15-2005, 10:40 PM Reply   
Getting off cheap, you said it. This could have easily caused as much damage as you described. I picked up 4 new leaf springs and hardware for $150 from Competitive Trailer in Bellflower, Calif. I'll be able to swap the entire suspension this weekend.
Imagine my surprise when I first saw it!

BTW, here's my son at Mohave this trip...
Landlock
Old     (dustin_c_wilson)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-16-2005, 6:28 AM Reply   
What kind of boat was that Bruce, the same thing happened to me and my axel shifted and damaged my boat a little, ruined my prop, destroyed my fender, and some other minor things to the trailer like paint and stuff. But anyway it turned out that it was a factory recall from Mastercraft on that year spring design, that single spring design. So Mastercraft ended up paying for everything which worked out great for me. It was a 1999 Mastercraft 19 skier.
Old    buttskimmer            07-16-2005, 6:44 AM Reply   
Thomas - Take Bruces lead and change all the springs. I run semi trailer repair shops and we never change just the broken one. The weight the other spring had to carry when the one broke is enough to fatigue the spring. You might not be so lucky when that one breaks.
~S~
Old    lsupcar            07-16-2005, 12:23 PM Reply   
Maybe a stupid question, but is your son tied to the boat Bruce? Seems like it might be dangerous, but then again, I have never tried that. Bill Z
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-16-2005, 9:24 PM Reply   
Yes, the rope is around his neck.......of course not! It's wake surfing. You use the rope to pull you up then toss it back in the boat. Or let it trail and grab it when you lose momentum. It's just resting on his hip in that photo. Sorry for the jab, I'm going for comic relief.