Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    gaboarder            07-19-2004, 8:22 AM Reply   
I am going to replace the impeller on my 99 Mastercraft 205V w/ LTR. I am mechanically inclined, but have never done this before. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions before I start?
Old    ag4ever            07-19-2004, 5:38 PM Reply   
See a chiroprater after changing it out. On my Super Air, I have to lay down on the side tanks, and twist into an un-godly position and fiddle with a couple of screwdrivers and a pair of pliers till it comes out. You pry it out a little at a time. The new one goes in fairly easy by spraying it well with silicone or as I did WD-40. Insert it into the housing with a twisting motion, and then when it catches the splines, just shove it really hard till it goes all the way in. button it back up, and you are done. The direction the fins are going does not matter, as when you start the boat they will flip to the correct orientation.

I hope you have more space than I do to do mine.
Old     (tazz)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-20-2004, 8:35 AM Reply   
On my merc cruiser v-drive I found it was easier to remove the whole impeller housing from the motor and do the work at my bench. theres a thread out there that I explained the whole thing if you can find it.
Old    gaboarder            07-20-2004, 10:01 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help. I got the impeller out yesterday and the job wasn't too bad, but the impeller is hosed. I will be installing the new one this afternoon.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2004, 10:39 AM Reply   
I usually take the hose off between the pump and the transmission cooler and backflush the heck out of it with a garden hose.

IMHO I would not use a petroleum product like WD-40, soap or binding lube works really well. I think rubber and petroleum products are not a good mix.

THe impeller change on the 205V is really pretty easily accessible with hands and tools, the problem is that it is in the far rear of the engine compartment and I can't fit my fat head back there to see what I am doing. I found that giving everthing a good look with a small handheld mirror really helped me out.

Oh yeah, a very small dab of waterproof grease on the metal spline will ensure that it comes off easily the next time you need to replace it.