Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-16-2008, 11:30 AM Reply   
so, I just sold a board on ebay. I figured $25 to ship was a reasonable fee to ask.
I go to my local UPS, and they want to charge me $50 effen dollars! I could probably borrow my neighbors Prius, and drive it to FL for that much money! WTF? I have not been to the USPS store yet, but thought that $50 was really high.
am I being unreasonable here? paying that much for shipping means I am almost taking a loss on the board. lame. any suggestions?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-16-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
UPS Store is total rip off, but you didn't ask for enough for shipping. I think my local USPS ships them for $30. Make the box as small as possible. Use pipe insulation to protect the edges. Hardware stores have it.
Old     (eyedvride)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-16-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
I just shipped a Murray 145 to AZ from Ohio UPS ground for $20. I think a lot of it is based on how rural the location is. Also, try FedEx, many times cheaper to ship.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-16-2008, 11:38 AM Reply   
I am shipping it in what my Slingshot came in. I guess I will chalk it up to a lesson learned. I am going to check with USPS and then fed ex. I have not had good luck with Fed Ex in the past though.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-16-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
I've never paid more than 20 bucks to ship from California to Washington and shipped 4 day ground. I think I sent 3 boards once and it was 28 or something like that. Usps or fed ex is the way to go
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-16-2008, 11:56 AM Reply   
Ship it from one of the Hotels or some where taht has a UPS account. All it will do is ask for the weight, What 5 lbs!! I shipped boards from my work for like 15 bucks. Might look into it.

BTW how are things down there?

Al
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-16-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
good idea Al. aside from getting a$$ raped on shipping costs, everything else is going good. business is super slow for november and december though. you guys coming down again anytime soon?
I could talk to our purchasing guy though. he might hook me up.
USPS told me $120! not sure how you guys are getting such good deals on shipping, but I certainly can't find em down here.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       10-16-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
Do what you have to do with the airlines, tell them it is a trick ski.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-16-2008, 1:33 PM Reply   
Do you guys box them? What about shipping it out of your local board shop, tell them you will pay for it.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-16-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
yup, I just sold one on craigs from phoenix to MO was only $24

BUT, if you use a big box, then that could be the issue. Go to a local board shop or boat dealer and ask them if they have any board boxes
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-16-2008, 1:50 PM Reply   
I am using the board box that my recoil came in.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-16-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
Shipping the Murray 135 cost me $15.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-16-2008, 2:06 PM Reply   
I hate all of you guys.
Old     (dcdman67)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-16-2008, 3:06 PM Reply   
Modify the box so it is as small as possible. With USPS, the box cannot be more than a total of 108 total inches (Lenght+Girth).

I had the same issue (was going to cost me about 120) until I modified the box so it was under the restriction and they charged me 30. FWIW, the board I shipped was a 141.

(Message edited by dcdman67 on October 16, 2008)
Old     (canadian_waterboy)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-16-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
whatever you do don't just throw the board in a box with some foam chips and hope it gets there. Take the time to properly protect the edges and make sure that the board fits it's box. It's one thing to lose $20 on the shipping, it's another to write off the entire board after it's broken in transit.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-16-2008, 4:45 PM Reply   
fedex ground at kinkos, an still modify the box
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-17-2008, 7:34 PM Reply   
work is taking care of it for me. it pays to not be a d-bag sometimes. and the board is shipped exactly how my new SS came to me. professionaly done.
Old     (perfski)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-18-2008, 5:34 AM Reply   
The key with your shipping is, as stated, the box size. Wakeboards are considered "oversized" by Fedex and UPS so a 8 lb wakeboard can be bumped up to 35 lbs for dimensional weight. Its a challenge we face daily. The other thing with UPS / Fedex is that unless you live in a major city...they charge a fuel surcharge...sometimes as much as $7 on top of the shipping fee. A great example of how crazy shipping cost get for us...a Wakeboard / Boot combo...even with a discounted rate with Fedex runs us about $48 to send from Florida to California if it is not in a larger city. The post office may be able to send it...but keep your box tight...and well padded. One note on the post office...if the board is lost or damaged....getting any type of service / refund from them is next to impossible. As a government run agency....their level of customer service...like the government is hard to get. Calling on the phone will get you no-where. If you go to the Post office...you are told you have to wait two weeks, and file a claim...and only hope you get some satisfaction. Sorry for venting, but very frustrating dealing with the Post office. While UPS / Fedex may not always be cheapest...when you have a problem...at least they work to resolve it timely. Good luck with your shipping.

Bill @ Performance
www.perfski.com