Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-21-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
For those of you who have organized contests -- Ed, Jeff, others -- how do you typically handle liability insurance?

We've looked into getting a contest going on Lake Austin here in the heart of TX, but apparently the city requires a $3million liability policy. Costs around $10K annually from what I understand.

What solutions have you come up with? Thanks!
Old    surfdad            08-21-2007, 11:30 AM Reply   
Come in under a sanctioning body...WWA or NWL. Create a club or you can use the AWSA club through NWL. Takes care of all the insurance for venue, spectators, boats and participants.

NWL is actively promoting wakesurfing so they are your best bet.

Shoot me an email if you want to go under our club number.

(Message edited by surfdad on August 21, 2007)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-21-2007, 3:07 PM Reply   
Insurance under USA Wakeboard/NWL costs $50 per additional insured. The basic policy is $1M, but I know they did $2M for Dayton. If you click the right button on the online form one policy is good for the whole year!!

One important thing to note is that USA Wake board has deep and mature roots. There are a number of requirements that you have to meet before you can sanction an event. Finding a trained safety coordinator is key. You also need trained drivers. Getting trained isn’t something that can happen over night, well not unless you live near Chris Walker. If you plan now you should be able to train up a crew for next season. If you have questions let me know.

I strongly recommend working with Jeff Walker for surf events and Chris Walker (not related) for wakeboard events.

See the link: http://www.usawaterski.org/graphics/downloads/2007%20USA%20Water%20Ski%20Insurance%20Fact%20Page .pdf