Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    sub_zero            05-04-2003, 3:01 PM Reply   
I am looking for 12v solonoid valves to use in a ballast system. I was thinking of using a high volume pump (like a 3700gph) to fill. I will be filling 3-500# bags, so need valves to direct the flow in case I don't want to fill them all to the same level.

Thanx,

Terry}}
Old    aaron_bell            05-05-2003, 1:17 PM Reply   
If you were to buy reversiable pumps you need no values. Just a thought
Old    jmccallum            05-05-2003, 1:28 PM Reply   
I'm designing my own. I've rigged up an old cordless drill, a ball valve and some limit switches. It's been a great way to fill time this spring waiting for the ice to go out. I'll let you know how it works when I'm done.

However, For now Terry, what Aaron said!

Old    sub_zero            05-05-2003, 1:30 PM Reply   
Thanks for the reply Aaron,
I did think of that. I have been reading for the last 3 days about ballast systems and am waffling on what system to use. I am outfitting a Maristar 225VRS. I was going to use 2 500# bags in the rear (V-Drive) and as big as I can get in the locker. I called Simer to ask them about the BW8512 pumps and they said they don't recommend reversing them and they don't know if the pumps will keep the water in the bag without a valve. I may have reached a dummy. Do you use this pump and what do you think about the way it works?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-05-2003, 1:37 PM Reply   
there is a blurb in the Simer manual explaining how to reverse them. i've been using these pumps for 3 or 4 yrs, no probs. mine are worn, however, and do allow water to pass when they're turned off.
Old    jmccallum            05-05-2003, 1:45 PM Reply   
Terry,
I've used my Simer reversing no problem for one season. Occasionally they stick when reversing but that's easy to fix once you learn to re-start them in the same direction to lubricate the impeller and then reverse them.

Trace,
How much flow do you get through them? Have you tried replaced the impellers?

Also, Trace I've been meaning to ask you. How do your dual Simers affect your electrical system? I don't have a big alternator so I'm reluctant to add a second Simer. Worried if both got turned on at the same time battery and/or alternator would suffer. Also too lazy to re-wire boat at high gauge...lol
Old    sub_zero            05-05-2003, 1:49 PM Reply   
Hey James,
Great idea, I have an old cordless drill. Bet I could get more on ebay! Can you recharge it without taking out of the boat:-)

I was near TO a few weeks ago (the big snow storm). Do you have long to wait till to hit the water? It is snowing in Lethbridge today:-(

Trace,
I'm honored to have a celeb such as yourself reply here. I wondered if that guy I spoke to at Simer had both orrs in the water. So how much does your pump leak back? Do you have the system in Sch "C"? Do they have any dry run protec? Sorry to ask so many questions that have probably already been answered.
Old    jmccallum            05-05-2003, 2:00 PM Reply   
June... I guess Wont be seriuosly boarding till June/July I think. I was at my cottage last weekend (Haliburton) the ice is out but in the morning a little glazing took place near the shore. Put my hand in for 5 secs and got the feeling back after five minutes

I bought two aerators last summer to expand my system with. Now everyones going double Simers..

I like the idea of scoop filling for speed and cost but wanted to make it fully automatic after an incident last summer.

P.S. May also buy her PP...
Old    sub_zero            05-05-2003, 2:17 PM Reply   
James,
I reaaaaaly want a PP. My darling wife says I don't need one, I have her. Do you have to overcome that obstacle? I may have it covered cause she's going to visit her Mom. Just not sure how to explain it the first time she drives the boat?

Will the scoop work on a Simer or does the water want to push past the pump and blow-up the bag?
Old    jmccallum            05-05-2003, 2:23 PM Reply   
No Simer would be moved to bow sac duty. Scoops only work with aerators where you can force water through at a higher speed.

Not sure about this latest idea.. I'm still mussing it over. A lot of people have gone the multiple self-primer route out of frustration. Think is I already own the aerators and I'm have fun with the electric ball valve project.

P.S. Do what I do. Just order the goddies, install it, and when she asks say "...oh that"
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-05-2003, 2:53 PM Reply   
hah! thanks Terry, but i don't think it's deserved. anyway, some good, pertinent, and heated discussion here:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/56263.html

JM: it's been seeming to take over 20 min to fill about 2000 lbs lately, whereas when they were new it took about 18 min (~14 gpm for the system as a whole). i've replaced the impellers once on my old boat, but when i get tired enough of it, i'll probably just buy 2 new complete pump heads (basically everything but the motor) from B E Atlas, like $22 ea last time i had to.

i usually keep the idle a little high and don't run any non-critical electrical stuff with the pumps running. they're on about 6' of dedicated 8 ga wire and never trip my 40 amp circuit breaker save the couple times they've run dry, but a 90 amp alternator is on my short-term wish list. :-)
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-05-2003, 9:03 PM Reply   
As I am lazy with some time on my hands, I have not bothered to improve my system, I have lots of Wally World 750s and Toro sprinkler valves that work FINE, even if they are not "fast" enough for you Captain Crunch and Red Bull consuming people. I still want to know if anyone has tried a 3/4" or 5/8" vacuum operated heater control valve from an automobile? James? If they don't work, I think that a remote actuated 1/4 turn ball valve would be the best, automatic, of course. Not like those silly valves with the long cables in the Nautiques. A vacuum actuator WILL work, you just might need an accumulator tank. Parts already exist in the boneyards of the world.... My '69 Cougar uses one to open the hideaway headlights.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-05-2003, 9:06 PM Reply   
Nothing against you hyperactive sugar fiends
Old    tbarrett            05-05-2003, 11:05 PM Reply   
Terry, Our ballast system uses an electric valve, however our valve is a full 1.5". The valve opens 1.5" ID tubing to a manifold that distributes water thru 1,000 gph pumps. This valve isolates the system when its full so that pressure created by driving will not keep feeding the system. 1.5" ID tubing allows our system to use high volume low pressure aerator pumps. Our designed system will fill a 1,000 lb system in less than 5 min. static. It fills faster while under way. I will email you a description and schematic of the system along with some contact people who have installed the system. It is the DownLoad System by Rival.
Old    sub_zero            05-06-2003, 4:43 AM Reply   
Thanks Terry,
Please include some pricing also.
Old    jmccallum            05-06-2003, 5:56 AM Reply   
Terry B,

Who makes the 1.5" electric valve? Is it a ball or globe valve?
Old    tbarrett            05-06-2003, 6:22 AM Reply   
Terry, I will get that to you later today. James, The valve is a blade valve. It comes with a 5 year warranty free replacement if it fails. We will sell the complete system or the valve and chamber with pumps.
Old    jmccallum            05-06-2003, 7:35 AM Reply   
Terry B,

How much for the valve?

What kind/size of pump do you use in the system?
Old    mikep            05-06-2003, 10:02 AM Reply   
I bought and installed one of the systems that Terry is talking about and it works great. I slightly modified the stock system to create a five bag system with nine 1000 GPH pumps in my Tige' 22V. I'd definitely recommend checking it out.
Old    jmccallum            05-06-2003, 10:07 AM Reply   
Any specs, pics, or prices?
Old     (sae4life)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-06-2003, 10:33 AM Reply   
Who has the info and plz add my name to the email list.

Thanks
Old    tbarrett            05-06-2003, 10:39 AM Reply   
James,Rob, and Terry, I will email the system description, schematic and prices. I also own and manage a boat dealership and we are at the height of our season and we are very busy. I am leaving for the day on demos now but I will contact you at the end of the day with info. Later. Terry
Old    helixthecat            05-06-2003, 11:31 AM Reply   
Terry B,
Add me to your email please!!
Old    kmc            05-06-2003, 11:35 AM Reply   
Terry, I would also like to be included on the e-mail list.

Thanks in advance.
Old    vlxjim            05-09-2003, 11:05 AM Reply   
Please email me info as well.

Thanks
Jim
Old    jmccallum            05-09-2003, 11:16 AM Reply   
Terry B,
Whats the ETA on those Blade Valve specs?
Old    tbarrett            05-09-2003, 11:43 AM Reply   
James, Sorry. I sent some info out but I didn't see an email address in your profile. Please e-mail me at terry@tigeaz.com and I will send you some info. I tried to include the schematic I have drawn to some others interested on this thread but it did not work. I will see if I can make that work as well. Terry