Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-14-2008, 12:46 PM Reply   
Hi all,
So I have an old 22' 1996 ski challenger V-drive with 200 pounds of lead in each compartment, plus 750# fly highs in each compartment, plus 400 ski sac, plus a bow sac. I also run a few random sacs(350, 3-150's) to help build my wave when we have a small crew. I have tried everything so moving weight isn't the problem. My regular wake is amazing(super long and tall), but my goofy wake is washy. Would adding a wake plate help clean the goofy face up? I know bennett makes a plate and lots of boats have them. The size and shape of the wave is good, it just has nasty prop wash. I have a pretty extreme OJ prop. Has anyone done something similiar, or do your stock wake plates clean up the goofy face? I think just diverting the prop wash down would clean it up. Seems like an easy fix if it would work. Thanks
Duffy
Old     (strait_trippin)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-14-2008, 2:18 PM Reply   
Try switching out your 4-blade prop for a 3 blade.
I know this sounds like crazy talk but I did that on my Avalanche and folks tell me it is the best goofy wave (clean & well shaped) that they have seen on Avalanches.
The fact that you have the regular wake dialed, this should be an easy experiment-and a cheaper fix than adding a hydraulic plate. If you give that a try, please get back to me with your results.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-14-2008, 4:29 PM Reply   
Jim's goofy wake was amazing!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-14-2008, 4:45 PM Reply   
Do you have a wakeplate? If so does having it up clean the wake face? My concept is that is would deflect the prop wash down so it doesn't dirty the wake as much. Regular side wake is a tiny bit dirty, but mostly clean and big. I was also thinking of adding the switchblade, but an FAE and a wakeplate would be better. Does the 3 blade have enough getup for wakeboarding? I have a 3 blade, but I changed it because it didn't have enough power. Thanks for the help!
Duffy

Duffy
Old     (strait_trippin)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-14-2008, 7:03 PM Reply   
My clean wake may be due to a 3 blade prop and FAE I'm not quite sure.

I have FAE and a static 90 degree wake-plate.

You want to get the FAE for sure. Not only does the FAE route the carbon monoxide safely away.........sometimes I forget the boat is "ON" and I have throttled the boat thinking I was priming the fuel line......lookout!!

And You don't need a huge stereo system investment since you can hear music better without engine noise.

Anyway, I believe either the addition of FAE and/or the 3 blade prop makes the goofy wake better. Good Luck...

strait trippin'
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-15-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
Does anyone use their wake plate to clean up the face of the wave? This is basically my idea.

Duffy
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-15-2008, 4:15 PM Reply   
^^^^ By all means, it's a big part of the equation. When speed or weight change, the wake plate (TAPS on a Tige) is adjusted to clean up the wake and change height or length.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-15-2008, 4:41 PM Reply   
On my old boat we used the wakeplate to clean up the goofy wake.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-15-2008, 5:05 PM Reply   
What prop are people using for surfing? I was wondering which prop creates the least turbulance and water disruption, without loosing to much hole shot. Thanks guys for all the help.

Duffy
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-15-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
I propped down when I bought a spare. For me propping down was about reducing the load on the engine. At WOT I'll hit the rev limiter. I rarely go faster than 13 mph so the rev limiter and lower top end is not an issue.