Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (bvdievent)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-21-2006, 8:26 AM Reply   
So this weekends project is to bring back the life in the teak swim platform. It has a pretty bad case of sun fade on it. Anyone know the best way to bring it back to life? I was going to start by sanding it down and then just putting some teak oil on it, but wanted to know if there was anything else that can be done.

(Message edited by bvdievent on April 21, 2006)
Old     (elleduke)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-21-2006, 8:33 AM Reply   
Use StarBrite's Teak Oil, Cleaner, and Brightner. I just redid mine on my X2. Started with 120 grit sand paper on a random orbital sander, then went to 150, then 180, then 220. Because mine wasn't too bad I just applied the oil (2 Coats). I also undo all the brackets and squeeze some into the screw holes, since this is one of the first places that rot. It turned out super smooth and looks better than new. Good Luck.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-21-2006, 8:35 AM Reply   
Doing mine today too.

I only sand once every couple of years. I usually just soak it down with oil.
Old     (bvdievent)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-21-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
Previously, all I have done is soaked with oil but, its going on 5 years old and has never been sanded so I figured it was time to give it the full treatment. Once I have sanded it though is there some kind of sealer that needs to be applied? Or does the Oil take care of that?
Old     (elleduke)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-21-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
The oil takes care of that. just give it a good soaking.
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-21-2006, 9:29 AM Reply   
I recently redid my teak after reading a tip from a E letter that MC puts out. They cleaned with Starbrite, then sanded with 220 AND THEN they WET sanded with 400G let dry then teak oil, wet sand 800grit then oil, wet 1000grit then oil, wet 1500grit then oil and then wet 2000g then oil.
I did up to 1500 grit because the wood stop taking the oil and it took to long to dry. HOWEVER the plat looks like a piece of fine furniture. took a little work but well worth the effort!
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-21-2006, 11:11 AM Reply   
So show us the pics Aquaholic! Sounds like a lot of work, but if it looks as good as you say it does, it may be worth it.
Old     (dfwharvey)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-21-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=4909

Try this link for detailed instructions. Just be careful if you decide to use a power washer. It gets the teak really clean but can do damage.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-21-2006, 12:07 PM Reply   
If you don't want to continue to have to oil your platform but want it to always look new try this.
I sanded my platform down by hand (took 45 minutes or so) and then treated it with an Olympic Natural stain. 2 coats and you are good to go all year long. It not only protects it from sun and grime but it looks wet like you just oiled it all year long... I usually lightly sand and apply another coat every year before I winterize.

I'll post a pic when I find a few...
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-21-2006, 12:59 PM Reply   
I will post some pics this week end!!!
Old     (thespleen)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-21-2006, 10:57 PM Reply   
I pretty much follwed the instructions Nick Harvey posted...
First coat:
Upload
Third coat:
Upload
Seventh coat:
Upload
Old    debsxstar            04-24-2006, 4:01 PM Reply   
I have had my boat now for 3 yrs and going into my 4th season. I have never sanded mt teak until now. I used an 80 grit with an electric sander. I got all the dead looking stuff of. Now I needed to go over it lightly with a 120 grit then a 220 and then I'm done. Then i will put 3 or coats of oil om it. Well maybe i should put sealer on it first before oil?
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-26-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
Go with this 2 part stuff named Te-ka (West Marine).
Pour on, wipe off, spray down. Then cover with a teal oil or Cetol. Works great.
Old     (seadawg)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-28-2006, 3:16 PM Reply   
I'm surprised there was no mention of TeakGuard in this thread: http://www.teakguard.com/index.html

I'll be giving my platform this whole treatment next month.