Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old     (crazy4two)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-29-2005, 1:26 PM Reply   
Hey there,
What is the rule of thumb for parking the trailer/boat on a slope. My driveway has a slight slope to it and I am wondering if I can block the tires with a piece of 4X4 block and disconnect the trailer.

I would hate to try it and have the boat run smack into the back of my truck. Please help.

pic1
pic2
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-29-2005, 1:36 PM Reply   
I think you'll be fine with something chauled up agaist the tires. Unfortunately for me, my driveway is the same way, and because of the incline, we can't get the wheel on the trailer to come down because it sits so low with the incline.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-29-2005, 1:43 PM Reply   
Make sure you block a wheel on each side. If you only block one side the trailer may turn/ move.
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-29-2005, 4:25 PM Reply   
We use 4x4 blocks and they work fine.
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-29-2005, 4:36 PM Reply   
I throw a sand bag under each tire. I have these in the boat for ballast anyways.
Old    robertt            08-29-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
Walmart or any RV store will have yellow plastic thingies made just for that...much better than a 4x4. They are cheap.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-jacks/wheel-stop-heavy-duty.htm

I know walmart has something close for under five bucks...thats what I use.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-29-2005, 5:54 PM Reply   
Too keep the boat from rolling forward you can block the wheels then move the truck forward a hair. One thing that always worried me (paraniod I know) is some kids pulling the blocks out and watching the boat roll. Can be easily prevented along with theft by locking the wheels together.
Old    zudema            08-30-2005, 7:50 AM Reply   
I use a retaining wall stone from home depot between the tires on each side.

Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-30-2005, 8:59 AM Reply   
My driveway is a little steeper than that. I use a miter cut 4x4 between the two wheels. I also but a piece of flagstone in front of one of the wheels just to be safe.
Board More/Work Less
J$
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-30-2005, 10:29 AM Reply   
Like Peter said: Back the trailer in the driveway, put the blocks in place (both sides, like notidad said), then ease forward to make sure that the trailer is resting against the blocks.

It the trailer wheels are resting against the blocks then it won't be easy to kick the blocks out, so I wouldn't worry too much about kids taking the blocks out.
Old     (hsmunoz)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-30-2005, 11:12 AM Reply   
yellow trailer choks from walmart, cheap and work great. I have even jacked up the rear axle, while parked in my sloped drive way. I use them to mark how far I back up the trailer, then move them to the front tires and crank the trailer of the ball.

peice of cake
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-05-2005, 2:10 AM Reply   
Depends on what slope the boat sits on. I had my own boat ramp and used a full 12 foot 4x4, plus two of the yellow wheelstops to park the trailer on the ramp. One day the 4x4 was not close enough to the back wheels of the trailer. The yellow stops are always behind the front wheels of the trailer. When I released the brake of the truck to let the trailer settle against the 4x4, I heard a loud crask and the trailer had simply run over and smashed the plastic blocks.
This was a pretty steep slope and we always kept the fatsacks full (empty the standard ballast). From the picture in this thread it does not look steep at all.