Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old    ruggerhugger            07-27-2004, 3:16 PM Reply   
Hi, I grew up wakeboarding on the delta and recently moved down to Long Beach. I have heard many lakes mentioned in regards to wakeboaring around here, but are they all equally as good? I am curios if there is a preference in which lakes to try first. Castaic, Elsinore, Silverwood, Piru, Pyramid, the river, etc. Any direction would be awesome! Thanks!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-27-2004, 3:22 PM Reply   
elsinore stays smoother longer than castaic. like, castaic would get rough around 700am, but elsinore's smooth until like 730am, sometimes 745am.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-27-2004, 3:47 PM Reply   
Launch at Leo Carillo state beach. Head south to the container port. Find yourself a bay that isn't being used and enjoy awesome water all day. Ridden in LB twice at the container port and it was spectacular. Seals and small sharks checking you out as you ride and no other boarders in sight.
Old    foobysmacker            07-27-2004, 4:30 PM Reply   
Ugh. As much as I yearn for smooth water, I don't know that I would do salt. I don't know that any lake could get chopped up faster than Castaic (save maybe Piru!). I heard Pyramid is closed for a while.

Silverwood I would characterize as being like Castaic, though I've really only been there on weekends a couple times-- but each time has been chopped up pretty bad.

Elsinore? I'm guessing better than these others but I haven't been there yet. I hear there's a smell there you sorta have to ignore. Oh well. :-)

Personally my preference to finding and riding great water is getting on the water at sunrise and/or near sunset. Wherever is closest. For me, that's Castaic.

Good luck.
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-27-2004, 9:29 PM Reply   
Elsinor on weekdays are great...6:00 till 10:00 daily...weekends till 9:00. Once school starts u can ride sometimes till noon and Oct. is great. You just got to get there early..at 6:00...from L.B. approx. 90 min..91east..15south..off at Central...
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-27-2004, 10:15 PM Reply   
If you dont mind the drive head for the river...cottonwood cove...glass all day-
Old     (onealrep)      Join Date: May 2002       07-28-2004, 7:34 AM Reply   
Pyramid is open again.
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-28-2004, 8:52 AM Reply   
Try to weasel yourself a ride at Canyon lake. Good water, and better yet, no one who doesn't understand water etiquette. Elsinore is fine until about 8:30 on the weekends, and a little bleach in the shower after the ride can get rid of the smell. Perris is great fun to sit at the launch and people watch. There are more good stories watching people there than any other lake I've been to. The water is bad at 6:15, and the lake opens at 6:00.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-28-2004, 9:11 AM Reply   
Weeellll, most of the time Canyon has those who understand the backwater, but every once in awhile, we need to get some "schooled". Some are easier to teach than others.Most want to learn and all just get along. There is a whole new mentality out there. (not just Canyon). It is the ones who are way too young with Daddys money. they are immature, boorish and most likely have been drinking way too much. In our day we had to start out with a boat that we could afford. A glastron? a bayliner and THEN our desired boat of choice. Now these kids are being given brand new beautiful boats that they don't work for. Again, this is a minority, but still a presence in the waters today. (oh yea, there are some with the same mentality with the PWC's) Oh well, diversity is a good thing.
Again "Do not wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty and the pig likes it"
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-28-2004, 3:27 PM Reply   
They dont call it Lake Smell-some-more for nothing.
Old     (dannyg)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-29-2004, 9:23 PM Reply   
unfortunatly lake perris is the closest lake to my house. on the weekends in the summer its hard to find any good water. between the retards on jet skis and the morons with off shore racing boats a wake boarder dosent stand a chance. but in the winter months with a wet suit you can own this lake almost all day.