Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old    jlgwinup            09-17-2003, 10:40 PM Reply   
How much ballast are people running in their centurion hurricanes? How about placement?
I've currently got a center factory ballast(about 300lbs) and two v-drive fat sacks in rear compartments (350lbs each). I think I need more weight in the front, because I want the wake to be rampier (rather than just steep). I just got a big bump 700lb sack for the bow but have not been able to try it yet. Should that give me a good weight distribution? Any suggestions? How would you describe the weight in your centurions?
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-18-2003, 6:59 AM Reply   
Hey James, I have Hurricane as well. I only have the center ballast tank and wanted to add the two in the back. Do the back sacs make that big of a difference. Also, have you been pleased with your Hurricane. I love mine.
Old    oshensurfer            09-18-2003, 8:46 AM Reply   
Lance,
I find that the 2 sacs in the back of mine create a really good wake when theres only 3-4 people in the boat, which is my normal posse. If there's more than that it can bog down/nose high unless you distribute some of the weight up front. A 350 sac up front would be ideal.

Old    jlgwinup            09-18-2003, 10:39 AM Reply   
Lance,
The sacks in the back do make a big difference, but to get a nice rampy wake, you really need one in the front as well(as scott said). With the front sack, it won't nose high/bog down anymore.
To answer your other question, I've had the boat 4 months and I had a problem with the fuel injection for the first month, but that was a mercruiser issue and it was fully resolved. The boat runs great now. I love the wake behind natiques, but for me i'm happier with the extra 15 grand in my pocket.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-18-2003, 12:25 PM Reply   
I have the '00 version with stock center of near 400 lbs. I've long run some lead in the back (300 lbs) and another 150 or so in the very front. That seemed to produce a decent improvement. A bit more vert than ramp.
Recently, I'm running about 300lbs lead in the very back, a full 540 in the middle of the floor, and a 1/3 full 250 under the bow cushion. The result is VERY RAMPY and FAT! It actually looks the same size from the boat in terms of height, until you get on it. Then you can see that it is notably bigger......and very firm.
I will be adding a little at a time to the rear to try and get just a little more vert (that's how I like it).
The one thing nobody seems to mention is the added fuel consumption. Just for reference, with the first set up I described, I get around 6.5 gals/hour. With the second set up, it goes up to 8. Normal crew of 4 +/-1.
Assuming that get'n the gas isn't a problem, burning through 1/2 tank and more starts to impact your wake shape/size.
D out
Old    oshensurfer            09-19-2003, 8:17 AM Reply   
I second Duane's opinion. Burning through gas affects the wake alot. I try to top off each time out.
Old    r3612            10-26-2003, 6:35 PM Reply   
I have an 03 hurricane adn I love the wake. Clean all the way to 80ft. We have the upgraded three tank system (apprx 700lbs). One center, and 1 on each side of the engine. With four people in the boats back end we throw a 300lb sac in the bow and it works out perfect. I would definately not recommend filling up the whole 600lbs. 300 is plenty IMO. I also run with a hydraulic wake plate so if you don't have a plate it might need a little more in the bow.