Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (cathy)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-07-2006, 7:38 PM Reply   
Does anyone know of any good wakesurf instructional videos? I started surfing this summer. I can ride without the rope and cut up and down the wake but that's it. Everyone in the boat is pretty much at the same level so none of us are really progressing. I want to get better at this and learn some tricks...and most importantly show up my boyfriend. If it matters we're riding a yellow loogey. Thanks!
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-07-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
www.inlandsurfer.com
had a really good FREE video. I had one sent to me.
Board More/Work Less!
J$
Old    surfdad            11-08-2006, 4:55 AM Reply   
Johnny is right. Inland has a section for their videos that shows some good clips of specific tricks:

http://www.inlandsurfer.com/videos.asp

Not really instructionals, but many of the clips show the trick, then a slow-mo of it so you can get an idea how to set it up. Probably the best source for stepping up your game.

Also, skimboarding videos abound and there are some instructional videos that can help you with some crossover tricks.

I noticed this video os sold out now, maybe someone knows of a similar tape/dvd?

http://www.wavejammer.com/videos/skimboarding/skimbd001.shtml

There are some freebies at Google Video...but you have to be patient and pick wisely. :-)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3557432811854577703&q=skimboard
Old    4sher            11-08-2006, 8:42 AM Reply   
Cathy, just shoot an email to info@inlandsurfer.com and ask Jeff to send you the DVD. Many of the people in the vid are riding the Yellow.
Old     (cathy)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-08-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
Thanks Guys!

Mark - I just sent Jeff an email.

Surfdad - I'll keep an eye out for skimboard instructionals.

Thanks for the input!
Old     (dgoose)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-09-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
Jeff what about you and your son making one? I'm sure with all your connections it wouldn't be a problem to throw one together.
Old    surfdad            11-09-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
Hey Greg, I approached Danny Turner of Hypoxic Films about a year ago on this very idea. We just couldn't get it to cash flow at the time, so...we dropped the idea. From what I hear you should see some quality instructionals, including intermediate tricks, closer to summer in '07.
Old    mobster            11-09-2006, 8:43 PM Reply   
This Is JL from Mob Group Productions Mike from Wakesurfing mag asked if we could make a instructional video it seems there is a need for an updated how to wakesurf video what are the current videos lacking ? We will be working on this for spring season, so go out and enjoy the winter sessions keep surfing thank you Mob Group Productions
Old    surfdad            11-10-2006, 5:27 AM Reply   
Hey JL, what's lacking in the current vid's is what Cathy describes - WHAT trick's and "how do you do it". The foundation that everyone is accustomed to is a wakeboard instructional. There will be a trick described, then a rider performs the trick (with a rocking soundtrack) then slow mo of the trick with the narrator pointing out how to set it up, and tips for completion.

Right now all the vid's show how to get up and free surf and don't go any further. It's the transition from THAT into tricks that is the biggest void, especially now that folks are stepping up their game.

Have Josh do a surface three - explain it step by step, show where to start from, where to place the nose of the board, how to drag your hand and break the fins loose, how to bring your head around and I think a description of what the trick should "feel like" when done correctly. Diagnose common problems - if you're falling out the back you aren't breaking the fins loose...rotate out on the table and you are starting to high on the wake - those sorts of things. I think the epitome of this sort of "tool" is the series of wakeboarding instructionals by Shaun Murray - Detention.

Aerials! Who wouldn't want to learn how to do an Aerial from Josh Sleigh! :-)

Skate style tricks - shuv's, 3 shuv's, big spin, etc.

Identification of what tricks CAN be done, this is a problem for many folks as it's just their own crew day-after-day and they don't have an opportunity to see a Josh, or Jaime killing it behind the boat. The vid's you are releasing teasers on will fill a big void here.

Also show the progression. Which tricks must be mastered in order to move upward and onward. For example - if you want to land a surface 5, you really need to learn to ride backside switch first.

The quality of your work is stellar, you folks would make a great product.

OH! and you need to feature me in one sequence with the soundtrack being Mother's Dream by Candlebox off the self titled album. :-)
Old     (cathy)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-10-2006, 3:20 PM Reply   
Exactly what Surfdad says! Also, I don't know if any video's cover how to properly set up the boat to wakesurf. I know a lot of people trying to surf but don't know how to weight the boat, what kind of equipment is needed, etc.
Old    mobster            11-11-2006, 7:36 PM Reply   
Thank you for your input Jeff & Cathy . Josh , Mike & I will get together to work on some some segments . If you have a list of tricks that surfers want to learn post it. Also the set up for the boats could be a movie of its self. I know mike @wakesurfmag.com plans to do more boat ballast tips in upcominig issues
Old    surfdad            11-12-2006, 7:12 AM Reply   
One of the problems, JL, is that many folks really don't know what they'd like to learn. What sorts of tricks CAN be done. Unlike with wakeboarding or even surfing, the only real print media we have is WakeSurfing Magazine - the bigger publications like Wakeboarding Magazine avoid our sport like the plague and blame "US" the participants for a lack of pic's or contributions. Print media is the primary means of communicating tricks and nomenclature in other sports, so we are in this "cultural void", IMO.

In no particular order, here is a list that could be the foundation of a video - plus you could add ALL the wild stuff that Josh throws in the air. :-)

Lip Slide
Floater
Ollie
Cutback
Tail Drop
Cheater Five
Hang Five
Chop Hop
Rocket
Backside
Backside Switch
Backside Lipslide
Splash
Throw down
Surface 360
Ollie 360
Fire Hydrant
Shuv it
Aerial
Aerial 180
Surface 180
3 Shuv
5 Shuv
Coffin
Big Spin
Switch
Body Varial
Surface 5
Surface 7
Aerial 3
Old    mobster            11-12-2006, 7:37 PM Reply   
Thank you for your list I just got back from shooting the No Fear air show the level gets higher each event we should be heading to lake nacimento this week to shoot off of wakesurfmags 24' enzo so we will work on some of the trick list thank you again MGP
Old    mobster            11-13-2006, 5:27 PM Reply   
WE Will be shooting at lake nacimento all day tuesday for wake surfmag.com we are bringing up a crew of the so cal fly boys if you are around say hi JL MGP
Old     (spencerwakeside)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-12-2006, 10:31 AM Reply   
Wakeside now has "The Beginners Guide to Wakesurfing" just in time for X-Mas. It is awesome for the beginner but not really the best for the intermediate or advanced rider.

Click Here to Buy the Wakesurf DVD Now.