Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-23-2009, 6:35 PM Reply   
Anyone ridden this board yet? Is it a flex board like SS? Thanks...
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-23-2009, 9:46 PM Reply   
not many have ridden it yet. (i have not)
Yes it is a flex board with the exact same "sandwich" (of foam and wood) construction as slingshot.

and just for extra note: Humanoid also will have flex boards but has not released yet to the public but will this summer i am sure. That about sums it up for the 3 companies using this style of construction. there are other "flex" boards out there but different constructions.

there is already many threads about this, oe that is quite "heated" right now in fact (such as this one http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/660940.html?1232775897). do a search and you should be able to find out more. feel free to ask other specific questions and we will see what we can do to help.
Old     (tsteeb)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-24-2009, 6:11 PM Reply   
there is also that new company sine that popped up on another thread
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-24-2009, 6:45 PM Reply   
sine looks like they incorporated the bottom design of an old premier w/ a flex board.

Upload
Upload
Old     (phxwakeguy)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-24-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
Who are these guys? Hate to say it, but it looks like they have a more interesting product than Company..cough slingshot cough....

From the little schpeal on their site http://sinewakeboards.com/technology.html This hybrid concept they talk about (although don't get into much detail about) actually looks new (If I'm not mistaken); opposed to a re-branded year old board. Imo, company over committed and under delivered for this year.

What's the scoop on Sine?
Old     (phxwakeguy)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-24-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
Just found this...kinda cool to see I guess.

First one on the list...

http://www.shapelogic.com/Portfolio.shtml#

click through the slide show on the pic.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-24-2009, 7:30 PM Reply   
I like the Sine features, been trying to decide between the SS Response and the Co. Recruit. Sounds as if I need to wait to see if anything else will come to market before this summer?
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-24-2009, 7:30 PM Reply   
I like the Sine features, been trying to decide between the SS Response and the Co. Recruit. Sounds as if I need to wait to see if anything else will come to market before this summer?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-24-2009, 7:41 PM Reply   
$750 for the custom Sine board, OUCH.
Old     (phxwakeguy)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-24-2009, 7:43 PM Reply   
$800 for the sub6 non custom board last year.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-24-2009, 7:52 PM Reply   
cosmocat, demo the ss, the company, then when the sine and humanoid are available, demo them as well. don't base it on what other people like best, 'cause more often than not, that what they'll recommend, not necessarily a board that's right for you.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-24-2009, 7:59 PM Reply   
Or you could just demo a Slingshot cause I'm sure the Companys will ride quite similar
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-24-2009, 8:00 PM Reply   
^^^very true. Man I would love to demo, no pro shops within 75 miles from me. Really not an easy option...
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-24-2009, 10:06 PM Reply   
Man!!... i almost feel like i woke from a coma or something... when did this come up and how did i manage to not hear about it sooner! thanx for the post Joe. surprising as your not the first person i would think of who would post up a flex board thing... and i don't mean that in a bad way at all ;)

though i have not seen much of either i think i like Humanoid better (vs sine) just because how much i am starting to enjoy a very loose ride and humanoid has more subtile features, but again this is just an opinion from pics alone.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-24-2009, 10:11 PM Reply   
yeah, that opinion doesn't really count for ish. you'd have to ride them to see which is looser than the other.

if you're suprised by my post above, i bet what would really shock you is that i've been filming a slingshot rider the last couple of weeks.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-24-2009, 10:28 PM Reply   
so i just peeked around a bit at the websites and photos. the red and white graphic slightly reminds me of the Limited Co. graphic... but even more exciting i thought was their fin design. the fins are molded-in-flex fins, an idea i thought of on a seperate thread in the past... i wonder if they are "tuneable" as well. grind them to a shallower depth? that was part of my idea too. very very interesting. flex is really starting to take off this year!
Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-24-2009, 10:33 PM Reply   
Roddyrod what exactly do u mean by that?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-24-2009, 11:06 PM Reply   
forgot to say that though i am super excited to see the progression of flex, i am feeling let-down a bit, because it seems that the progression of 4-hole mounting is not sharing the same acceptance and speed ;( doesn't look like sine or humanoid are going to use it... but i guess when it is commonly said/believed that most of the flex benefit is in the tail (especially on these stiffer "hybrid" boards) there is not much need seen?
Old     (tommmyd)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-27-2009, 5:35 PM Reply   
First off, I'm going to be all over the place on this post so I apologize first. Sine boards are nothing like Company/Slingshot... They are truly a "HYBRID" flex.

As for the price of the custom board you could purchase from Sine. Traditionally when a company creates a board, you take the prototype that is to become the model. Then you create a scale model of that board for bigger and smaller sizes. Am I correct there? Now if said board flexes... you have all sorts of problems. Take the sligshot response 145. After a few rides this board flexes like a snowboard, and doesn't perform the way it was created to. I know some people can ride slingshots well and I have nothing against them, but they don't work for a lot of people too.

Sine's concept on their custom set up is taking your size weight how hard you ride, etc... and you can dial in how much they flex to your specific needs. I rider who cuts like parks is going to want a different amount of flex than a guy who rides like byerly... just two random examples. very different riding styles.

The materials it's made of are waay higher end which makes for a longer lasting product... Won't turn into a snowboard. Also = higher prices. I saw somebody post on the SUB6 Board wasn't under 6lbs. Sine's are.

In a sense, talk to your golf friends. Every person I know that had a custom set of clubs fit to their specific swing showed improvement compared to the cookie cutter boards out there. It's a similar concept.

As for demo's... Where you live and how warm it is there or your willingness to ride in the cold will greatly determine when you will be able to demo a Sine.

Contact SINE directly at their website, www.sinewake.com or sinewakeboards.com click the contact tab, in the next month or two Demo's might be able to come to you.
Old    sdahockey21            01-29-2009, 11:37 AM Reply   
From what Tom said hockey sticks immediately jumped into my head as having similar flex technology.

Hockey sticks have different flexes, that are designed for different styles of play, and player strength. This excert from wikipedia explains:

Flex

Hockey stick shafts, much like golf club shafts, are highly flexible, and this flexibility is a key component in their performance. Flex, bend, stiffness, and whip are all terms used to describe the amount force required to bend a given stick shaft a certain amount.

With most composite and alumimum sticks, their flex characteristic is correlated numerically. This number, which ranges from 50 through 120, is printed on the stick and corresponds to the amount force (in pounds-force) that it takes to deflect or bend the shaft one inch. For example, a 100 flex requires 100 pounds force (444 N) to bend the shaft 1 inch.

Stick flex is viewed as a very important characteristic by most players. Commonly, defencemen seek stiffer flex shafts, as their greater stiffness imparts more force on slap shots and improves stick-checking. Forwards will commonly seek more flexible shafts, as they require less force to bend and are thus better suited to create quick and accurate wrist shots, as well as improving passing and stickhandling.

Flex is also correlated to player strength; stronger players will often prefer stiffer flexes, as they have a sufficient amount of strength to fully bend (and thus maximize potential energy) using such shafts, whereas younger players and players with less strength will generally have more success using more flexible shafts which they are capable of bending to their optimal degree.

Very interesting.I really like this idea.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-29-2009, 4:42 PM Reply   
same for fishing poles. There is a reason all those pros on tv have a million poles on the deck of their boat. Everyone is custom and is for a specif purpose just like golf. If i had the money i would get a custom board b/c if youve been riding long enough you will know what you need.

The one problem ive faced in wakeboarding has to do with picking a board based on your riding style and your wake. I love to bomb it into the flats so that means i need a faster board to help get out there and to have speed on the landings. However I love straight up wake to wake pop and i ride one of if not the steepest and narrowest wakes out there. Speed is the enemy from what ive found there. Id love to talk to a designer and see what the could come up with. Maybe one day...