Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-26-2008, 6:12 AM Reply   
So I buy some of the Hawaiian Tropic no-rub spray 70 spf. I was in the field at work using a pen and noticed the plastic on the pen getting all gunky and sticky from this sunscreen getting on it! It's as if it's eating away at the plastic! I'm worried about using this stuff in my boat, does anyone know if no-rub aerosol suncreen or any other damages vinyl? I might just go back to the rub-in sunscreen.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-26-2008, 6:37 AM Reply   
I've heard the spray sunscreen can discolor vinyl from a few people I'd consider trustworthy sources. I've heard hearsay that it can discolor gelcoat but I'd take that with a grain of salt. I've got a lot of maroons and greys on my vinyl interior so I don't allow the spray on the boat.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-26-2008, 7:09 AM Reply   
sunscreen in general is nto good for you vinyl...when I seee the spray come out I make sure people are on the platform and spraying downwind.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-26-2008, 10:20 AM Reply   
personally i would be more concerned about that junk on my body first, your just soaking it in, and people wonder why everyone is getting cancer
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-26-2008, 11:54 AM Reply   
That auto-spray sunscreen put tiny divots in my gel coat!
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-26-2008, 12:15 PM Reply   
How lazy are people getting that they cant rub in some sun block.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-26-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
so lazy that they will spray toxic sunscreen on there bodies...spf 70 wtf?? you mine as well put on a full wet suit.
Old     (scott_nor_cal_syndicate)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-26-2008, 12:24 PM Reply   
No spray sunscreen allowed on the boat period.

Besides we like to rub it in ;)
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-26-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
yyyyyyeeeeaaaahhh, I'll be switchin' back to rub-in...
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-26-2008, 1:17 PM Reply   
Now thats some damn useful information. I'm too cheap to pay for the spray so I'll stick with the rub and an excuse.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-26-2008, 1:20 PM Reply   
I noticed the Traditional rub in sun screen messes up paint. Yes thats right you will notice that after you have sun screen on your hands and what ever painted item you touch the sun screen will soften the paint. It does somthing to mess up painted items. My advice wash your hands after playing with sun screen.

P.S has anyone ever had a rash from the Coppertone spray sun screen. My brother and sister in law did.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-26-2008, 2:03 PM Reply   
I have used the spray stuff for the last two years. I live on the water so my normal routine on sat/sun, is to wake up and coat myself in the spf 15. I like it, I’ve yet to get burned and nothing bad has happened to my vinyl or gel coat, but I don’t; carry it with me on the boat. One application early morning is all I need for the entire day.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-26-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
I used the coppertone spray and it etched the screen on my ipod. Left little spots. I assume its something in the propellant.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-26-2008, 5:34 PM Reply   
We've been using the spray on Coppertone Sport spf 30 for a couple of years. Never noticed any problems with it.
Old    walt            06-26-2008, 5:45 PM Reply   
The spray on crap = bad news.
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-26-2008, 11:42 PM Reply   
i used the spray for a whole season and never had any problems... and it only causes cancer in california.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-27-2008, 7:09 AM Reply   
"How lazy are people getting that they cant rub in some sun block."

It seemed like a smart idea to avoid transferring sunblock from your hands to your handle. But, I witnessed the spray sunblock transfer graphics from my brother in-laws board shorts, on to my interior.

I think sunblock is bad news all around, but so is skin cancer.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-27-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
"personally i would be more concerned about that junk on my body first, your just soaking it in, and people wonder why everyone is getting cancer"

So people are getting cancer because of sunscreen?? What is the alternative to sunscreen? I've tried wearing long sleeve t-shirts and generally covering up. It's darn hard to do when it's 110 outside, so unless someone comes up with an alternative, I'll continue to use sunscreen. As for the spray on stuff, I find it to be messy.
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-27-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
If people are looking for the "safest " sunblock. The bananna boat has much fewer chemicals in it and IMO works better.

Its the only non-cancer causing sunscreen in California...........
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-27-2008, 1:11 PM Reply   
Oh, the old "Coppertone Spray on sunscreen gave me a rash" excuse!
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-01-2008, 1:56 AM Reply   
http://www.aveeno.com/sunCare.do