Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old    fodreafatpants            11-01-2004, 7:25 AM Reply   
Ilive in Indiana and have wakeboarded for jsut about as long as I can this season. I was wondering what I could do to train for the off season? I am going to lfit during the winter but, I was wondering if like skateboarding would help or jsut whatever you guys suggest? So, any advice or tips at all would be greatappreciated.
Thanks
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-01-2004, 7:59 AM Reply   
any snowboarding nearby? I like to practice my switch riding all winter.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-01-2004, 7:59 AM Reply   
I like to practice riding switch on a skateboard. I'm not reccomending doing this but we sometimes pull each other behind truck/car down the street. go slwo and wear a helmet. a company also makes a blance baod that is decent.
Old    fodreafatpants            11-01-2004, 8:07 AM Reply   
Na, I wish there were some bigger hills but, its pretty flat over here. WOuld taking the trucks off an old skateboard gluing some old shoes on it and hopping on a trampoline do any good?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-01-2004, 10:06 AM Reply   
not unless you want to destroy your tramp. As for training is goes, snowboarding is good, so is going to camp in the winter. I grew up in Minnesota, very similar to Indiana. All winter long I would, life 3 tiems a week, remember wakeboarders are well toned not football player ripped. Then on my off days, I would and still do lots of fast twich muscle workouts. Stuff like sprints, box jumps, jump rope, tuck jumps. In wakeboarding you use tons of fast twich muscles. These are the ones that really hurt at the beginning of the season. If you want to know more email me @ asnintzel@yahoo.com
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-01-2004, 5:02 PM Reply   
I've used a wood board on a trampoline for 2 years now off and on and it has never hurt the tramp.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-01-2004, 5:14 PM Reply   
jump on the tramp, skate, indo board, I guess lifting would help too.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-01-2004, 5:20 PM Reply   
We also use a bare skate deck with shoes glued to it. No damage to the tramp in two years...some damage to us tho.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-01-2004, 8:51 PM Reply   
the skateboard tied to your feet is a good idea on the tramp. I havnt used it in a while, but it makes you pop before you flip or rotate and you have to stay on a correct axis otherwise you will eat it. without the board, you can land almost anything on the trampoline.
Old     (wkbdtime)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-02-2004, 11:19 AM Reply   
Winter Training, should involve alot of core training...ie abs,lower back,ect... Try and find a friend who is a physcial therapist. Not a personal trainer, There is a major difference. Show them what wakeboarding is all about (Video-Pictures). Let them develop a plan for training the muscle that support the knee and ankle area. Remember that the number 1 injury in wakeboarding is Knees, with ankles being #2. Also, the use of a Bosu ball is great for balance....Then the trampoline, is a great tool for learning how to be upside down and developing muscles missed. But get the Bounce Board for that... Try a few trick on land.. Surface 360 (Great for learning the handle pass) or Surface 180 (Great for Hip to Rope switches)

These are a few thing we recommend for winter training at www.learn2wakeboard.com

Best of Luck